The 2020 Plan - What Will Chris Johnson Do?

It seems I declare every offseason a critical one but this year I think it really is.  For the first time in a very long time we seem to have a coach/GM combo on the same page.  It's remarkable to see the different takes on how close (or not) we are to being a competitive team.  To me, I see some solid pieces with holes.  However, I think those holes are concentrated in a few pockets.  OL, pass rush and WR is "all we need".  So how are those holes filled?

I think it all depends on the modus operandi of Chris Johnson.  Will he force Douglas to sign high profile free agents (e.g., Amari Cooper) at the expense of filling in more holes (i.e., offensive line) as he did in 2019?  Will he allow Douglas to trade some of his own 'high profile' free agents (i.e., Jamal Adams)?  Will he force Douglas's hand in free agents negotiations with his own players (e.g., Robby Anderson)?

This will be the most important factor in determining if this year is truly a new beginning.

What WILL he do?  No idea.

What SHOULD he do?  Leave Joe Douglas alone and let him do his job.  Don't advise him on what to do with Jamal Adams based on things like jersey sales and fan blowback.  Don't advise him on whether to bring back Robby Anderson.  Let Douglas do his job and stay the f**k out.  

It won't happen, but one can dream.

• Upvote 1

I think this is now the Joe Douglas show.  CJ didn't sign him to a big $$$ 6-year GM deal in order to play puppet master like Jerry Jones.  I hope the only involvement CJ has is when Joe D comes to him and says, "I want to spend $36M on guy X and $70M on guy Y, and $41M on guy Z," to which CJ simply says, "Yes, do it, go ahead."

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It seems I declare every offseason a critical one but this year I think it really is.  For the first time in a very long time we seem to have a coach/GM combo on the same page.  It's remarkable to see the different takes on how close (or not) we are to being a competitive team.  To me, I see some solid pieces with holes.  However, I think those holes are concentrated in a few pockets.  OL, pass rush and WR is "all we need".  So how are those holes filled?

I think it all depends on the modus operandi of Chris Johnson.  Will he force Douglas to sign high profile free agents (e.g., Amari Cooper) at the expense of filling in more holes (i.e., offensive line) as he did in 2019?  Will he allow Douglas to trade some of his own 'high profile' free agents (i.e., Jamal Adams)?  Will he force Douglas's hand in free agents negotiations with his own players (e.g., Robby Anderson)?

This will be the most important factor in determining if this year is truly a new beginning.

Simply put...Chris Johnson should stay out of the way and let Joe Douglas do what he was brought in to do.

• Upvote 1