The cap: We should be conservative this offseason

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its not just the 2019 season.  Green has now missed 13 games over the last 3 seasons.  And he'll be 32 in July.  

And that's your BEST free agent WR option?  Not good.

True. Missed 6 games in 2016 and the last 7 of 2018. injuries happen. he played all in 2017 

From a talent standpoint yes best WR on that list and if Joe D is draft strategy leans him to a decision like this I wouldn't hate it. 

Of the receivers on your list I am not paying any of the others if it came to it I'd take AJ green and his game over Cooper or the others. 

If we don't address WR in FA I won't be upset either, but then I am assuming we are going to draft 2 at different points in draft.

• Upvote 1

So still didn't read the post but..

Last year we have QB1 for certain on cheap rookie deal

+

New CBA looming

= Idzikian strategy of pocketing cap space???

Makes as little sense now as it did when Idzik did it. I'd focus on signing mid 20 age players to front loaded contract so they are under contract and cheaper when it comes time to cough up Darnold cash

24 minutes ago, CTM said:

+

New CBA looming

Makes as little sense now as it did when Idzik did it. I'd focus on signing mid 20 age players to front loaded contract so they are under contract and cheaper when it comes time to cough up Darnold cash

If Darnold doesn’t show next year he’s done. Excuses won’t matter. JD has to invest in 2020.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

+

New CBA looming

Hey, don't blame the messenger.  There's precious few good FA's at premium positions, and they'll all want to get overpaid by a team like us.  Blame Macc for avoiding drafting OL, CB, EDGE and WR. 

We can't double down on his past mistakes by bringing in a bunch of expensive FA's at non-premium positions, forcing square pegs into round holes, OR pay 1st tier money to 2nd or 3rd tier premium position FA's.  That's what I'm saying.  

Pocketing cap space isn't what sunk Idzik.  It was poor drafting.  Draft a solid core and THEN you can go out and make it rain in free agency.  You can't do that up front.