Gase was right

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Signing Bell was stupid.

Discuss. 

What has Mike Maccagnan EVER done that was not Stupid?  That’s the real question.

Initially I was ok with the idea thinking that Darnold needed a running game and Bell would also provide a great security blanket to check down to out of the backfield too.  But a GM has to know his team.  And knowing that he had put together a “historic” bad line to then put a RB whose style is PATIENCE and NOT hitting a hole hard and in retrospect Bell was the worst type of back to put into the Jet “practice squad” Offense, because he would just get smothered looking for a hole.  And last but not least..the price tag to do it...ouch.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

A franchise QB is hard to get if you have a shot at one you go for it. A RB in today's NFL is dime a dozen as your seeing with Bell. When you have a limit amount of cap money choose between a RB who was result of a top 10 OL or a OL like Mitch Morse who will make your franchise QB better and you can still sign a cheaper option at RB signing a 50million dollar RB is stupid. Just look at the Bill's and Texans they are in the playoffs and the Jets arent.

But its not as if not signing Bell would’ve made a lot of premium lineman suddenly become available there my point. It wasn’t a “this or that” situation. The 2019 terrible OL was set by bad decisions long before Bell was signed.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Chris Johnson thought balloon: "I am finally going to get rid of that bad coach, but you know that is a lot of work and I don't want to deal with getting rid of the worst GM this team has ever seen.  I know what I'll do!  I'll let him have one last off season with a full draft and all this cap money to spend!  Good idea Chris!  Now lets go and get some ice cream."

Funny but also sad because it's true.

17 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Signing Bell was stupid.

Discuss. 

i wouldn't go so far as to call it stupid.  to me it looked like the jets overvalued the oline capability based on how they finished in 2018 and felt that a couple of tweaks plus a prime running back would do wonders.  obviously mac was wrong.  osemele turned out to be a slug and then they compounded the error by bringing in kalil to replace harrison.  if anything signing bell was premature.  and if it turns out that gase was right about signing a guy like bell for his system then a lot of people need to take back some of their criticism of gase.  on the other hand, coaches are supposed to play to the strengths of the players they have, not the ones they want.  it could be gase has done that but with the oline, bell just isn't getting the traction. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i wouldn't go so far as to call it stupid.  to me it looked like the jets overvalued the oline capability based on how they finished in 2018 and felt that a couple of tweaks plus a prime running back would do wonders.  obviously mac was wrong.  osemele turned out to be a slug and then they compounded the error by bringing in kalil to replace harrison.  if anything signing bell was premature.  and if it turns out that gase was right about signing a guy like bell for his system then a lot of people need to take back some of their criticism of gase.  on the other hand, coaches are supposed to play to the strengths of the players they have, not the ones they want.  it could be gase has done that but with the oline, bell just isn't getting the traction.

That's the thing. Mac left the o line in such shambles, there was no work around. Coaching to their strengths is a nonsensical arguement. Bells strength was patiently waiting and picking a hole. The Jets O line had NO strengths, the best they could do was desperately try to not get knocked back 3 yards on every play. 

Putting THAT RB behind THAT O Line was dumb. The Jets needed a one cut and explode guy, and that's not Bells game. That's why Powell looked better behind the Jets line. 

It was a desperation, "splash" signing Mac hooed would save his job. Instead, it was one of the last straws. 

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, maybe Jerome Bettis.  That's all I got.

Even Bettis averaged 3.2 and 3.5 ypc his last years with the Rams. 

And Brown was the same size or bigger than most of the DLmen (and all the LBers/safeties) trying to tackle him. I don’t even know what the equivalent would look like today, because I’m having trouble picturing a 300-pound RB with an elite 215-pound RB’s speed and agility. Maybe a robot in body armor, I guess, like those stupid pregame graphic whatevers. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Barry Sanders 

Sanders was more of a "lose 2 yards or gain 40 yards" kind of guy.  His average was great, but on 4th and 1, he was not necessarily the guy you want unless you are going to try to run around the DL, which the defense would pretty much expect.  Brown and Campbell were the kind of guys that just put their head down and blew people out of their way.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Sanders was more of a "lose 2 yards or gain 40 yards" kind of guy.  His average was great, but on 4th and 1, he was not necessarily the guy you want unless you are going to try to run around the DL, which the defense would pretty much expect.  Brown and Campbell were the kind of guys that just put their head down and blew people out of their way.

I thought the question was great runners on a shit team. My bad Dan. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I thought the question was great runners on a shit team. My bad Dan. 

It was actually who could run behind a shite OL.  Barry might be a good answer in fact, because I'm not sure how much help he had in DET.  But I guess my leaning is toward the 'hulk smash' kind of RB that makes his own holes.  Barry just ran around everything.  But if I could have one guy on the Jets right now, it would probably be Brown or Campbell. 

You know how when you talk about players from earlier eras and say "they were great then but couldn't play in today's game".  Those two guys would be All-Pros today.  

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It was actually who could run behind a shite OL.  Barry might be a good answer in fact, because I'm not sure how much help he had in DET.  But I guess my leaning is toward the 'hulk smash' kind of RB that makes his own holes.  Barry just ran around everything.  But if I could have one guy on the Jets right now, it would probably be Brown or Campbell. 

You know how when you talk about players from earlier eras and say "they were great then but couldn't play in today's game".  Those two guys would be All-Pros today.  

Your a very complicated and sexy man Dan. Stay you.

• Haha 2

Here is the deal. Le'Veon Bell is a luxury and a distraction that this team cannot afford. Plain and simple our new head coach is here to plan the offense around our second-year quarterback. That is the number one priority.

Having Le'Veon Bell on the roster overshadows both the head coach and the quarterback because his reputation precedes him. All this despite the fact that he was on his best behavior and was completely a team player all year and I give him the utmost respect for that.

It's a very similar situation to OBJ on the Giants. The owners and fans were forcing the head coach to get him the ball even when he wasn't in the game plan and it wasn't in the team's best interest to get the win

. In closing I will say there is no way Adam Gase can be the quarterback Whisperer, and teach Sam Darnold to take the reins of this team and make it his own as long as there is a superstar overshadowing him.

Bell is just an awkward fit on this Jets team at this time plain and simple. So be sure and drink your Ovaltine

On 1/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Signing Bell was stupid.

Discuss. 

Signing ANY RB without an offensive line is a stupid move. I said this way before the season. I believe that a Mediocre RB behind a very good offensive line, can look great. Terrible move but NOT because of the player, it was a horrible situation. 

• Upvote 1

Gase not being able to work out an offensive strategy to try to get the best playmaker on the team 25+ touches a game despite a bad line was stupid.  Change the blocking schemes. Change the running plays.  Do whatever was necessary to get Bell involved and productive so the D doesn't pin their ears back every time Darnold dropped back to pass with no fear of any running attack.  

10 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Bell seems to be a really solid dude. He took a ridiculous amount of punishment this year, and was the consummate professional throughout. 

All that said, he’s such not a good fit with the Jets. 

Agree 100%.  Turning out to be a much better person and professional than I expected.  He didn't really make any waves, become a distraction or voice displeasure in the locker room despite being misused and having the Jets put a major dent in his career averages and streaks.

The Jets have to QUICKLY decide whether they're going to build a power-blocking type offensive line like Pittsburgh had for Bell or if they're going to continue with a zone-blocking scheme that required nimble Linemen and just upgrade 60-80% of those guys.

• Upvote 1