Sign in to follow this  
jetstream23

Ground and Pound ended New England's dynasty last night

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Umm where in my post did I say it wasn't?

No no, you misunderstood my sarcasm. Agreeing with you that we need it badly. Lol

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If Brady doesn’t retire and yesterday he basically said he wasn’t going to retire on paper it seems like the best fit for him would be the Patriots. But he’s selling his house there and buying one in Greenwich CT. That doesn’t mean he can’t still live near Boston he could buy a condo etc. He has the money that’s for sure. But what teams can use a starting QB next season and might be a fit for him. You’d think not the Giants and not us. I’m looking at teams around the NFL and see some potential landing spots if he leaves New England. Like Carolina, Cincy, Denver, Jax, Miami, Wash, Indy, LAC (Rivers contract is over) even the Raiders (Carr has 3 years left on his contract at under 20 mil per. They could trade him). It would be a good way to start their time in Vegas with a future HOF Qb. I look at that list and Denver sticks out to me.

Cincy is drafting #1, the can draft QB and be set with a 22 year old instead of a 42 year old.

Miami just tanked the season, they aren't signing a 42 year old, and he wont stay in division to get crushed by the Pat's twice a year.

LAC makes some sense, they have to sell tickets, no one wants to go to their games.

Washington is a train wreck, I can't see Brady going to one of the worst franchises in the NFL 

14 pts isn’t exactly domination.  The pats* had 2 major problems: 

1) the videos were taken away when they got caught in cincy 

2) the wr’s and te’s were the weakest group in the Brady era 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The key to beating New England historically has been a stifling defense beating Brady. It's how the Giants did it, how the Ravens did, how the Broncos did it, how we did it, etc.

The only team to really "outscore them" in a big playoff game was Philly.

A stifling defense AND the ground and pound on offense. It was used to beat them historically and this season. Jets did it 2011, Ravens did it during the regular season, and the Titans utilized it to their benefit last night. Brady and the patsy offense can't beat you if they don't have the ball enough. The idea that the Titans 21st ranked defense was the sole reason they won is nonsense. The Titans offense won the time of possession battle as well. So it was most definitely a combination of factors.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Cincy is drafting #1, the can draft QB and be set with a 22 year old instead of a 42 year old.

Miami just tanked the season, they aren't signing a 42 year old, and he wont stay in division to get crushed by the Pat's twice a year.

LAC makes some sense, they have to sell tickets, no one wants to go to their games.

Washington is a train wreck, I can't see Brady going to one of the worst franchises in the NFL 

Actually the Fins didn’t tank the season they ended up with 5 Ws. My long shot prediction is if not the Patriots and Belichick also gave a no comment on it today Denver or the Bears. 

39 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

A stifling defense AND the ground and pound on offense. It was used to beat them historically and this season. Jets did it 2011, Ravens did it during the regular season, and the Titans utilized it to their benefit last night. Brady and the patsy offense can't beat you if they don't have the ball enough. The idea that the Titans 21st ranked defense was the sole reason they won is nonsense. The Titans offense won the time of possession battle as well. So it was most definitely a combination of factors.

I mean, in this scenario you're just swapping out "ground and pound" for generally ineffective offense that doesn't score much."

So a dominant Oline and power back still works.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

So, who are those four girls in the picture at the bottom of your posts? They all look great, of course, but for some reason the one with the E on her bottom appeals to me the most. I can't quite explain why.

They are my sisters.

Stop looking.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, CTM said:

14 pts doesnt win you many games and isnt a sound long term strategy. 

I'm with you, but the dynamic Saints offense with Drew Brees and its air assault just got beat by another team led by Defense and a Dalvin Cook rushing game along with a "good enough" QB in Kirk Cousins.

There's been a pattern to these games.  If the Bills win yesterday (and they should have) then you have 3 teams with very good Defenses and "good enough" QBs like Josh Allen, Tannehill and Cousins sending guys like Watson, Brady and Brees home.

I'm not saying it's the right strategy but those are data-driven facts so far this weekend.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Father time ended the pats* last night. The idea that ground and pound ended the pats* dynasty is just your preferred narrative.

Preferred narrative?  You might be watching too much network news TV, my friend.

Remove the word "preferred."  The guys narrating the game last night told us all we needed to know....Henry for 7 yards, Henry for 11 yards, Henry for 9 yards.  Whether anyone prefers it or not Derrick Henry ran for a mind-boggling 182 yards against what was considered the NFL's best defense.  Those are just facts.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm with you, but the dynamic Saints offense with Drew Brees and its air assault just got beat by another team led by Defense and a Dalvin Cook rushing game along with a "good enough" QB in Kirk Cousins.

There's been a pattern to these games.  If the Bills win yesterday then you have 3 teams with very good Defenses and "good enough" QBs like Josh Allen, Tannehill and Cousins sending guys like Watson, Brady and Brees home.

I'm not saying it's the right strategy but those are data-driven facts so far this weekend.

The pattern is that Allen stinks, Brady is washed up and Brees has never been a big game guy

"Good enough" Cousins will lose next week, as will Tannehill.. 

Re:bolded. 2 games is not enough data to be data driven 

You know what is though, someone posted the last 16 AFC Qb's, 15 were Brady, Manning and Pig Ben. That's a trend, what we are seeing now is a changing if the guard and 3 of the best most exciting young QB's are still alive in AFC and poised to make SB. Expect to see a lot more Mahommes, Watson, Jackson in these games if they stay healthy 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They are my sisters.

Stop looking.

So, um, what's sister E's name? I promise I won't look again!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Mark Ryan Sanchez-Tannehill managed the game to a Wild Card win as a good D and running offense won that road game.

Change my mind.

Sorry, I meant to say....

Discuss.

Tom Bradys too many Birthdays will end the Patriots dynasty. 

• Upvote 2

Ya know what would really help stop that ground and pound attack?

An elite all pro strong safety that can run blitz and close the gaps quickly. 

Just saying. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Russell Wilson is an elite QB.  

True but that team ran the ball a lot more than they threw it. 

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Ya know what would really help stop that ground and pound attack?

An elite all pro strong safety that can run blitz and close the gaps quickly. 

Just saying. 

Are you suggesting that we trade Jamal Adams to the Patriots?

:-)

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

There's been a pattern to these games.  If the Bills win yesterday (and they should have) then you have 3 teams with very good Defenses and "good enough" QBs like Josh Allen, Tannehill and Cousins sending guys like Watson, Brady and Brees home.

Drew Brees was awful in the WC game and Cousins out-played him. I'd say Taysom Hill was a more impactful player for the Saints than Brees was today.

• Upvote 1

When BB betrayed Tuna he stole the formula as well as many ex-coaches and ex-players, and then Mo Lewis hit Drew Bledsoe... so basically the Jets started the dynasty and also ended the pats* dynasty by beating the Steelers and letting Vrabel and the Titans back in the playoffs - it was a perfect matchup and probably the only team who would have beaten them 

Can't wait to see Brady in another uniform

11 hours ago, Welp said:

The game was to me a sort of a master class in how you can still win by effectively just constantly running the ball. While we need to fix the OL I hope Gase learns something from this game where Darnold doesn’t need to throw it an unreasonable amount of times every game and putting him in situations that might possibly ruin a young QB.

Gase and JD already know that the Jets *need* a strong OL. Priority number one.

• Upvote 1

I think it's like the NBA. During the regular season, the players score at will and it's like there is no defense. Suddenly, in the playoffs, every shot is contested, shooters get more nervous because the game is big, and the basket seems to get smaller,  So in the NFL as well, during the regular season, it's like a pinball machine, with everybody passing and scoring. But once the playoffs start, everybody digs in and there is a lot more old school football and running and defense - it's almost like a different game...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, in this scenario you're just swapping out "ground and pound" for generally ineffective offense that doesn't score much."

No I'm not. Jets were 11th in yardage in 2010. The Ravens worst offensive ranking is that they are 7th in passing yards, the Titans ranked 12th in total offense. These are not numbers of ineffective offense.

The difference is they may not be a quick scoring offense, but that's it. So once again you're trying to make this into something that fits your perceived narrative (whatever that may be?). EVERY one of those teams are not even close to the bottom of the league in offensive rankings.

Fitzmajic was the the beginning of the end!

Now he’s going to KC to beat that war drum.

17 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Brady doesn’t retire and yesterday he basically said he wasn’t going to retire on paper it seems like the best fit for him would be the Patriots. But he’s selling his house there and buying one in Greenwich CT. That doesn’t mean he can’t still live near Boston he could buy a condo etc. He has the money that’s for sure. But what teams can use a starting QB next season and might be a fit for him. You’d think not the Giants and not us. I’m looking at teams around the NFL and see some potential landing spots if he leaves New England. Like Carolina, Cincy, Denver, Jax, Miami, Wash, Indy, LAC (Rivers contract is over) even the Raiders (Carr has 3 years left on his contract at under 20 mil per. They could trade him). It would be a good way to start their time in Vegas with a future HOF Qb. I look at that list and Denver sticks out to me. They have Elway which could appeal to Brady. They’ve done this before with Peyton and they won a Super Bowl.  They drafted a young QB who won some games at end of the season but he’d take a back seat to Brady plus Flacco probably won’t be coming back he had a neck injury. 

I'm surprised that people really believe Brady will be a commodity on the FA market. He would have to take a pay cut and still be considered an average QB at this point.  He doesn't get the ball out as quickly, can't move, and has become less accurate. Forget the name and the legacy. At this point, he's done. Hew should be a back up, truthfully.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, shawn306 said:

True but that team ran the ball a lot more than they threw it. 

Sure.  They had a great run-blocking line and a bruising RB.  That was the proper call.  But the Titans are a bit of a different story.  Tannehill had an awful night and only threw for what, 76 yards?  By the time the 4th quarter came around Vrabel couldn't really trust him.  They were in ultra-conservative, playing-not-to-lose mode, even on drives when Henry's runs weren't getting them first downs.  And it almost cost them the game.

That wasn't the case with the Seahawks and Russell Wilson.  They could always trust him to make the throws when needed, but simply had the personnel to take the pressure off of him.  

IDC how much the NFL becomes a passing league.....If you can control the trenches, be physical and run the football you have a shot to win in this league.

Doesn't matter how many passing records get broken in this era....if you can smack someone in the mouth on D and control the trenches you can win....

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

No I'm not. Jets were 11th in yardage in 2010. The Ravens worst offensive ranking is that they are 7th in passing yards, the Titans ranked 12th in total offense. These are not numbers of ineffective offense.

The difference is they may not be a quick scoring offense, but that's it. So once again you're trying to make this into something that fits your perceived narrative (whatever that may be?). EVERY one of those teams are not even close to the bottom of the league in offensive rankings.

I'm talking about beating the Pats.

The Titans scored 14 points on Saturday. They didn't win because they dominated in the trenches (even though Henry had a huge day.) They didn't win because they limited New England possessions (Pats had one fewer possession than usual.) They won because they stifled Brady and held the Pats offense to 13 points.

When the Jets beat the Pats in Foxboro they held them to 14 until garbage time. Giants held the Pats to 14 and like 19 in the Super Bowls. Ravens held them to 14 in 2009 Wild Card and 13 in 2012 AFC Title Game.

To beat the Pats you need to stop Brady.

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

IDC how much the NFL becomes a passing league.....If you can control the trenches, be physical and run the football you have a shot to win in this league.

Doesn't matter how many passing records get broken in this era....if you can smack someone in the mouth on D and control the trenches you can win....

Sure.  But what if the team you're facing can control the LOS AND has a dominant passing attack?  Because that's what Tennessee is about to face in Baltimore.  KC even moreso. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Exactly!

If I told you before the game that Ryan Tannehill would complete 8 passes......8 PASSES for 72 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT....you would have bet your entire life savings that the Patriots won that game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  But what if the team you're facing can control the LOS AND has a dominant passing attack?  Because that's what Tennessee is about to face in Baltimore.  KC even moreso. 

Good point. It's rare to have a physical team that has an elite passing attack like KC.......

BAL doesn't count because they are very much a running team....they set the record for team rushing yards....not really a prolific passing attack except for TD passes. 

3 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Good point. It's rare to have a physical team that has an elite passing attack like KC.......

BAL doesn't count because they are very much a running team....they set the record for team rushing yards....not really a prolific passing attack except for TD passes. 

I'd say a lot of TD passes makes a passing game prolific.

Per DVOA, the Ravens had the # 1 passing offense, and Lamar Jackson was the # 2 QB.  I'd call that prolific.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2020 at 12:15 PM, FidelioJet said:

A bad NE offense lost that game.

Totally. I don't understand why some people don't understand this concept.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd say a lot of TD passes makes a passing game prolific.

Per DVOA, the Ravens had the # 1 passing offense, and Lamar Jackson was the # 2 QB.  I'd call that prolific.  

I'm thinking of it in terms of passing yards but I get your point

15 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

I'm thinking of it in terms of passing yards but I get your point

Passing yards would  be the  least useful way of looking at it.  Especially in a system where if Lamar drops back to pass and doesn't like what he sees, he can take off running for 1st downs seemingly at will.  Just because he almost always has that option available to him doesn't make their passing game anything less than prolific.