Booger McFarland... Bills should Spike the ball on 4th down

jetsons

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/espns-booger-mcfarland-mocked-bills-texans-playoff-game

ESPN's Booger McFarland mocked over play-calling suggestion for Bills late in playoff game

ESPN broadcaster Booger McFarland was the subject of mockery Saturday night as the Buffalo Bills and Houston Texans played in their wild-card playoff game.

McFarland, a two-time Super Bowl-winning former NFL defensive tackle, became the butt of jokes when he appeared to suggest the Bills should run a draw play on 3rd down then spike the ball on 4th down with only seconds left in regulation.

“I’ll tell ya what, if I’m [Bills coach] Sean McDermott at this point, you almost just run a quick draw play, get a few yards, spike it,” McFarland said.

The Bills were down three points at this stage of the game and a spike on 4th down would have been a catastrophic end to the game.

Luckily, the Bills didn’t listen to McFarland. Buffalo decided to kick and make a 47-yard field goal by Steven Hauschka which tied the game and sent it into overtime.

McFarland was mocked on Twitter.

on 3RD AND 10, booger mcfarland suggests the bills run a quick draw and then SPIKE THE BALL ON 4TH DOWN

you cannot make this stuff up

Listening to Booger McFarland commentary one last time

View image on Twitter

Booger McFarland wanted Josh Allen and the Bills to run a draw and spike it

There was 15 seconds left in the game

You cannot make this stuff up

Embedded video

NO WAY ?

With 15 seconds to go, 3rd and 10 for Buffalo down 3.

Booger McFarland: “At this point I would just run a draw here, get a bit closer and spike the ball”

3rd down, draw. 4th down spike. Bills lose ???? these announcers are WILD

Bills on 3rd and 10

Booger McFarland: “run a draw for a few yards then spike it”

Good thing you’re not a coach my guy#BUFvsHOU

View image on Twitter

Houston ended up winning the game thanks to a huge play from quarterback Deshaun Watson which led to a game-winning field goal.

The Texans move onto the next round to play the Kansas City Chiefs in the divisional round of the AFC playoffs.

And the guy is part of Monday Night Football, such a joke.  Just unreal how far that once great program that once had Howard, Dandy Don and Frank doing an awesome job as the entire country waited for a weekly “Event” that was once Monday Night.

Now ESPN has dumbed it down to Booger and his awful sidekick.

No surprise that ESPNs ratings are in the sewer and they fired half the people in their building.

ESPN ruins everything at this point, when they once were innovative.

That’s what happens when you put politics over content.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I think we've heard the last of Booger.  Nice guy, smart guy when it comes to X's and O'x, just not a very good commentator.
He's not. He makes awful mistakes on sports radio shows talking about various teams systems and play calls. He'll say things that are just flat out wrong, leaving his co-host to either cover his tracks or move quickly to the next topic.

If it’s the play I’m thinking of, didnt it appear to be a 1st down at first...nobody knew as they were reviewing the spot.
hate to stick up for him though since he is pretty brutal
That's not the play - that was either 1st down (which it was) or 4th down and a FG attempt with time on the clock. This was 3rd down immediateky after that, 3rd and 10 with 15 secs left.

• Upvote 1

Is the real problem Booger, or is it ESPN? I'd say door #2.
He's terrible wherever he goes, but Joe Tessitore is awful too, just keeps going to the same old announcer tropes and in the central casting style - so ESPN is definitely part of the problem as well, for some reason it's not an attractive job I guess.
  • Upvote 2

Just now, isired said:
5 minutes ago, section314 said:
Is the real problem Booger, or is it ESPN? I'd say door #2.

He's terrible wherever he goes, but Joe Tessitore is awful too, just keeps going to the same old announcer tropes and in the central casting style - so ESPN is definitely part of the problem as well, for some reason it's not an attractive job I guess.

Yeah "Tess" is awful too.  And Jason Witten was awful as well.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, King P said:

As for Joe Tessitore, I'm not going to say he's terrible. But as a big boxing fan, I've been hearing him for a long time and I will say his commentary is better suited for boxing than football

He was pretty good doing College Football. He's gotten worse on MNF where he seems to try too hard. 

Booger was actually pretty good on the SEC network. I thought he was going to be pretty good on MNF, turns out I was way way wrong. He is a trainwreck. 

I get the sense that he doesnt prepare like the others do, and then he just wings it. Or maybe he does, but just goes off the rails, I don't know.

I mean the 'run a draw and spike it' was just a dumb mistake, but he makes mistakes and calls up facts that are just flat out wrong all the time. I remember when he used to be on a morning show on Sirius NFL Radio he would say things as fact that not only weren't, but made no sense.

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

reminds me of Emmitt Smith. Lasted about 6 months. His Ebonics were just unreal.   booger I’m sure is a smart guy but his communication is lacking.  

Shannon Sharpe was the original mushmouth... he has since worked on that issue & is now semi understandable.