Mac's Last Draft, not the worst?!

phill1c

Here's my grades:

1. (#3)Quinnen WilliamsDT: I'm a fan, B (because it allowed flexibility to trade Leonard Williams for draft capital)
  2. (#68)Jachai PoliteDE: FAIL
  3. (#92)Chuma EdogaOT: Showed ability, needs to build strength C
  4. (#121)Trevon WescoTE: Showed flashes, B-
  5. (#157)Blake CashmanLB: Potential, but injured INC
  6. (#196)Blessuan AustinCB: Diamond in the rough...A+

Overall, I give it a B-

I mean, certainly not the worst I've seen...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 13
  • WTF? 3
  • Haha 3

Obviously Polite was awful.  Look I admit I’m a much bigger fan of Q Williams than a lot of people are.  I think injuries did effect his rookie year but I agree he needs to be better and I think he will.  I do like edoga before he got hurt.  Wesco  I hope is used more next year. Bless Austin was a nice late round gem 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Probably not his worst, I'd have to look back at them but the Lee/Hackenberg one was pretty horrible. This is how I'd grade last years draft.

1.3 Q.WilliamsDT: C, needs to spend a full NFL offseason in the weight room, hopefully turns into more than just a good run stopper. Drafting Quinnen had nothing to do with trading Leo imo, and drafting one of the edge rushers was the way too go, or the mythical "trade down" we hear about.

3.68. PoliteDE: F, I was more excited about this pick than the Williams pick. Clearly a bust.

3.92. EdogaT: B-Finally that POS Mac decides to go OL, similar to Quinnen needs a year in the weight room. Potential RT or maybe G in the future.

4.121. WescoTE: C+, Good at blocking I guess? Not much of a pass catching threat so far in his career. Solid selection to help the Oline but could have probably went in an another direction with this pick.

5.157. CashmanILB: C+, Showed some promise, has good speed for the position and should be a good match with Moseley and with the big bodies up front on this defense. Especially if the Jets move Williamson. Main issue is health but that was a known risk.

6.196. AustinCB: A, love this pick because this is essentially how 6th and 7th round picks should be used. 6th and 7th rounders have such a small chance of making it that it makes sense to pick high risk-high reward prospects like Austin or Burfict, for example. Cool with this pick, hopefully he says healthy and develops into a good corner.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

19 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

1. (#3)Quinnen WilliamsDT: I'm a fan, B (because it allowed flexibility to trade Leonard Williams for draft capital)

Overall, I give it a B-

It's still the ONLY draft where he actually earned his keep. He was HORRIBLE otherwise and I'm aware that Nate Shepard took a step forward this season. His overall drafting skills SUCKED. If the 2019 draft earns a good grade, the 2016 draft earns an equally BAD grade. If he didn't have a no brainer pick staring him right in the face, Mac was useless.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Overall, I give it a B-

No not really.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quinnen Williams: D - 3rd overall DT selection simply repeats previous mistakes and ignores real positions of need.  Worse yet the player is terrible for a 3rd overall pick

Jachi Polite: F - Guy could not make it through camp and this pick is reminiscent of the hackenburg pick.  Oh this guy was good a year or two ago so he must be good now!  Despite mountains of evidence that the guy didn't care

Edoga: B - He actually took an olineman, who has warning signs but at least enough upside to justify the pick.

Wesco: D - The guy did zilch despite all our TEs getting hurt.  His vaunted blocking did not show up.

Cashman: B+ - Another non premium position pick but the player was good when he was not hurt.

Austin: B - Took a chance and at least the guy looks like he has ability, I am not pencilling this guy in as a starte by any means like many are but worth the chance for a late rounder, good pick.

The Quinnen and Polite picks alone make it a D draft.

Pretty spot on.

I’d even give Austin an A+ so far, given how he’s already exceeded any expectations for a 7th round pick at a premium position, just by being a good starter for half of one season. But even an early A+ for round 7 doesn’t overcome the earlier misses (and if you want that, then don’t grade on a curve based on the lateness of the round). I’d take a little away from Edoga who is not a B- player. Only reason he even saw the field is due others’ train wrecks and injuries. So far he’s terrible. 

Sure there are obvious caveats that Williams can start to look like an A pick next year if he provides relentless QB pressure up the middle all year, making the lack of an edge rusher less of a factor (do we honestly care where the pressure comes from?) — but until then he’s a D pick, since we can get his rookie production from a mid-rounder or later in any draft.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Overall, I give it a B-

07ED9D5A-C193-4631-9C9B-DBFB7C74795F.gif.8ac2cb631ced52ba9e954cdd43a2f55f.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m watching the saints/Vikings.  A 3rd round pick rb out of Boise state is looking great on the Vikings.  On the saints, another rookie, Devonte Harris, looks electric on kickoffs and caught a bomb.  Mccagnan’s drafts are all about slow, plodding offensive players.

Hey the guy likes things that are like himself.

Quinnen Williams: D - 3rd overall DT selection simply repeats previous mistakes and ignores real positions of need.  Worse yet the player is terrible for a 3rd overall pick Jachi Polite: F - Guy could not make it through camp and this pick is reminiscent of the hackenburg pick.  Oh this guy was good a year or two ago so he must be good now!  Despite mountains of evidence that the guy didn't care

Edoga: B - He actually took an olineman, who has warning signs but at least enough upside to justify the pick.

Wesco: D - The guy did zilch despite all our TEs getting hurt.  His vaunted blocking did not show up.

Cashman: B+ - Another non premium position pick but the player was good when he was not hurt.

Austin: B - Took a chance and at least the guy looks like he has ability, I am not pencilling this guy in as a starte by any means like many are but worth the chance for a late rounder, good pick.

The Quinnen and Polite picks alone make it a D draft.

That's a fair and accurate assessment IMO. 

Fully agree on Q....to use the 3rd overall pick on one position we actually weren't in dire need of upgrading, the guy has to come out and be a difference maker at least and he was far from that. Hopefully he turns it around, but for now it's a bad pick.

Everyone and their mothers wanted Chase Winovich (sp?) In the 3rd and instead we went with Polite....the result? Polite doesnt even make the 53 man roster and Winovich is a solid player in NE.

Edoga is solid and has some promise...hopefully he can continue to develop and provide solid play at a position of immense need.

Austin looks promising and if he can be a solid cornerback that provides depth that's great....if he can be a quality starter even better.

Cashman provides depth and looked good when healthy....hopefully he can stay healthy and contribute on a consistent basis on both defense and special teams.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Ok I’ll play..

1st Round: C, Quinnen Williams

He’s a high ceiling one year phenom who plays a non-impactful, non-premium position. He was picked at #3 and while he has a ton of room to grow, so far the immediate returns have not been worth the slot he was picked at...not that it probably would anyway being he’s a DT. Kyle Phillips, Fatty, Shepard, ect all especially proved the value of the position by leading the NFL’s best rush defense as a group of UDFA’s and later round picks.

2nd round: F, Jachai Polite

Utter disaster.

3rd Round: C-, Chuma Edoga

very up and down during his snaps as a starter. Have low effort on multiple occasions and nearly got Sam killed in the process. Had a few decent games before getting hurt.

4th Round: D, Trevon Wesco

Was OK in very limited action but clearly never will have the wiggle needed to be any kind of concern for defense in the passing game. Ryan Griffin’s emergence/extension defeats the purpose of drafting Wesco. Wesco was drafted to block, understood on that level, but, he was meant to be the #2 to Chris Herndon. Ryan Griffin has now cemented himself into that role for at least next year... leaving Wesco has a 4th round reserve (3rd string) who may have to come in for 3-4 snaps a game to help block.

5th Round: B, Blake Cashman

B for the spot he he was picked at. He made his presence felt right off the bat in TC and held it through the season until he was injured. If he can stay healthy, he has a future on this team. Good 5th round selection. 

6th Round: B+, Bless Austin

Could be an A if he continues his solid play into next year. Very impressive to see him come back from IR with no training camp or preseason reps and cover as well as he did. He hadn’t been in a real game since college but he steps onto a NFL field like it’s nothing and competes game in and game out for the majority of his time back. Again, really impressive 2019 turn in from Bless. I hope he can be a reliable #2 CB. He has the size and athleticism. Most of all, 2019 showed us that he isn’t lost at ALL. The speed of the NFL was never an issue for Bless. Clearly.

Overall 2019 draft grade: C-

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Definitely an F until proven otherwise. #3 pick needs to be a Pro Bowl caliber player. The “flexibility” portion is completely irrelevant. 

Edoga is inconclusive. 

Hasn’t shown crap. Inc at best. 

Good depth player that can fill a temporarily injured starter position but his own injury is a concern. I’d still give him a C for now. 

6. (#196)Blessuan Austin CB: Diamond in the rough...A+

Not exactly diamond in the rough but serviceable/good player for the draft position he was picked at. A. 

Overall, I give it a B-

Definitely not a B grade. When you start off with an F with the third overall pick, and then follow it up with another F and no pro bowl caliber players, it’s definitely a major F for the team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Overall, I give it a B-

This has to be a joke Wesco got a better grade than cashman omg.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Overall, I give it a B-

Time will tell.

C- for me right now.  QW, Wesco, Cashman, Edoga and Austin are all unknowns.  The only thing I can say somewhat definitively is that none of those guys seem like busts, but none of them look like gems.  Polite is a pure F as we all know.

The most optimistic outcome is probably that Williams, Edoga, and Austin all develop into longterm starters, and that Cashman and Wesco become really reliable and solid contributors.

3 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Overall, I give it a B-

You're  being very generous with your grades

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

You can't objectively grade a draft until 3 seasons have passed. Players need to develop.  Look at Damario Davis as case in point.

That said, this past one in not trending in the right direction. 

By the time 3 years come around, it's "ancient history" and we're not allowed to talk about it anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1