Mac's Last Draft, not the worst?!

phill1c

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Pretty spot on.

I’d give Austin an A+ so far, given how he’s already exceeded any expectations for a 7th round pick at a premium position, just by being a good starter for half of one season. But I’d take a little away from Edoga who is not a B- player. Only reason he even saw the field is due others’ train wrecks and injuries. So far he’s terrible. 

Sure there are obvious caveats that Williams can start to look like an A pick next year if he provides relentless QB pressure up the middle all year, making the lack of an edge rusher less of a factor (do we honestly care where the pressure comes from?) — but until then he’s a D pick, since we can get his rookie production from a mid-rounder or later in any draft.

Apparently we do when it comes from a S.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Apparently we do when it comes from a S.

Obviously I meant from from the interior DL or edge rushing DE/OLB spots. They don’t create holes in the secondary when they rush the passer. Blitzing a safety does that, unless you like the sight of a LB dropping into coverage instead of a DB. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

1. (#3)Quinnen WilliamsDT: I'm a fan, B (because it allowed flexibility to trade Leonard Williams for draft capital)
  2. (#68)Jachai PoliteDE: FAIL
  3. (#92)Chuma EdogaOT: Showed ability, needs to build strength C
  4. (#121)Trevon WescoTE: Showed flashes, B-
  5. (#157)Blake CashmanLB: Potential, but injured INC
  6. (#196)Blessuan AustinCB: Diamond in the rough...A+

Overall, I give it a B-

I mean, certainly not the worst I've seen...

UDFA DL Phillips is in with that draft class even though went undrafted and he should be an A- since he is one of the better DLineman on the team and I believe had gotten the most snaps of any of them.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Obviously I meant from from the interior DL or edge rushing DE/OLB spots. They don’t create holes in the secondary when they rush the passer. Blitzing a safety does that, unless you like the sight of a LB dropping into coverage instead of a DB. 

I'm kind of the opinionnif the S's responsibility is a TE or RB and they stay in to block, he should be rushing the QB. A lot of Jets fans don't  seem to think that's  the case. 

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m watching the saints/Vikings.  A 3rd round pick rb out of Boise state is looking great on the Vikings.  On the saints, another rookie, Devonte Harris, looks electric on kickoffs and caught a bomb.  Mccagnan’s drafts are all about slow, plodding offensive players.

Saw Harris at D2, was even on the board postdraft suggesting he be signed as a FA. Guy set all kinds of records for D2 returns. In one game opposing team kicked it out of bounds on purpose rathe than letting him touch the ball. As in today's game thread game turned in part on a  BS "blocking in the back" call after he had another great return. 

PS-got a line on a D2 great hands/gritty/white guy / possession receiver; can guarantee where ever Bellichick ends up he know the guy's name. 

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bless Austin seems like a nice pickup but he was benched for the last game and a half.  He was replaced by Marcus Canaday without any noticeable change in result.

Hold sh*t. Is that true? I thought Canady was playing for the other no-name guy 

5 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

1. (#3)Quinnen WilliamsDT: I'm a fan, B (because it allowed flexibility to trade Leonard Williams for draft capital)

Overall, I give it a B-

Not the worst?  Ugh...dude never got how to build a roster.  In fact, the dude looks like the kid in high school who only wanted to pass a class with a 70.  Just enough not to fail, or in our case, just enough not to get fired.  Eventually, time exposed him as a guy who had zero clue how to build a complementary roster.  Finally lucks into a possible franchise QB and has no idea how to surround him with talent in which to grow.  All his picks require the rosiest of glasses with the hope of hitting a home run.  How many of the picks do you expect will sign a second contract with the Jets?  Austin, maybe he can develop.  Same with Edoga.  Pure dumpster fire material.  FTR...I'm actually holding out hope QW can "mature" but truth be known, its more hope than logic.  

• Sympathy 1

FWIW I just read Stypulkoski's column here link.

He mentioned Kyle Phillips who he wanted to include in his draft rating.  Sad that the undrafted Kyle Phillips will most likely be the best contributor to the Jets roster from Macc's last draft.  Combine this with Robby Anderson who was the second best player "undrafted" from his 2016 draft (I'd take Jordan Jenkins over him) tell us us a lot about Macc draft acumen.  

Charlie Casserly sucks donkey balls!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

FWIW I just read Stypulkoski's column here link.

He mentioned Kyle Phillips who he wanted to include in his draft rating.  Sad that the undrafted Kyle Phillips will most likely be the best contributor to the Jets roster from Macc's last draft.  Combine this with Robby Anderson who was the second best player "undrafted" from his 2016 draft (I'd take Jordan Jenkins over him) tell us us a lot about Macc draft acumen.  

Charlie Casserly sucks donkey balls!

@Pac

Feel free to defend this douchebag at your earliest convenience.  

• Upvote 1

Ok I’ll play..

1st Round: C, Quinnen Williams
He’s a high ceiling one year phenom who plays a non-impactful, non-premium position. He was picked at #3 and while he has a ton of room to grow, so far the immediate returns have not been worth the slot he was picked at...not that it probably would anyway being he’s a DT. Kyle Phillips, Fatty, Shepard, ect all especially proved the value of the position by leading the NFL’s best rush defense as a group of UDFA’s and later round picks.
2nd round: F, Jachai Polite
Utter disaster.
3rd Round: C-, Chuma Edoga
very up and down during his snaps as a starter. Have low effort on multiple occasions and nearly got Sam killed in the process. Had a few decent games before getting hurt.
4th Round: D, Trevon Wesco
Was OK in very limited action but clearly never will have the wiggle needed to be any kind of concern for defense in the passing game. Ryan Griffin’s emergence/extension defeats the purpose of drafting Wesco. Wesco was drafted to block, understood on that level, but, he was meant to be the #2 to Chris Herndon. Ryan Griffin has now cemented himself into that role for at least next year... leaving Wesco has a 4th round reserve (3rd string) who may have to come in for 3-4 snaps a game to help block.
5th Round: B, Blake Cashman
B for the spot he he was picked at. He made his presence felt right off the bat in TC and held it through the season until he was injured. If he can stay healthy, he has a future on this team. Good 5th round selection. 

6th Round: B+, Bless Austin
Could be an A if he continues his solid play into next year. Very impressive to see him come back from IR with no training camp or preseason reps and cover as well as he did. He hadn’t been in a real game since college but he steps onto a NFL field like it’s nothing and competes game in and game out for the majority of his time back. Again, really impressive 2019 turn in from Bless. I hope he can be a reliable #2 CB. He has the size and athleticism. Most of all, 2019 showed us that he isn’t lost at ALL. The speed of the NFL was never an issue for Bless. Clearly.
Overall 2019 draft grade: C-

A bit picky, I know, but we didn’t have a second round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Overall, I give it a B-

How many pots did you smoke

high wiz khalifa GIF

appreciate the players drafted as Jets except for the wasted 3rd round pick, he sucks lol

It's not about the players drafted, it's about the missed opportunities to support Sam after betting the farm on him that makes Mac's last draft his worst and that's saying something - "a redundant pick and a mash unit" did nothing to help the potential franchise QB - the lack of thought or a plan that makes it the worst draft

We just watched several rookies made big impacts in the games played this weekend, names like Bradbury and Metcalf and other players who were on many Jets fans draft lists and Mac missed all of them - horrible draft and it got him fired, which was the best outcome from the draft

In the end this past off season is all on Chris johnson.  He is the tool that could have done something about it, should have done something about had the time to do something about it when he brought in a new coach.

Everyone with a brain knew this guy should not be given another off season except our straw headed owner/ceo.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

In the end this past off season is all on Chris johnson.  He is the tool that could have done something about it, should have done something about had the time to do something about it when he brought in a new coach.

Everyone with a brain knew this guy should not be given another off season except our straw headed owner/ceo.

We can say snarky retorts to what I’m about to say next.

Isn’t CJ so much better than Woody though?  I liked his stance on kneeling, he doesn’t pretend he’s not a plutocrat with no idea. He’s actually trying to learn imo. Woody has always tried to pretend he was some savvy NYC business savant but all he ever had was his last name and his inherited money.  

CJ signed off on the Darnold trade.  He handled the Anthem take a knee stiff well. And most importantly he realized he needed to get real football guys in here who know all the stuff he doesn’t and he greatly increased the salaries and positions to fill out the front office and met all Joe Douglas’ demands. 

CJ > Leon Hess > Woody

i know I know not saying much but he’s the best owner we’ve ever had ? 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hold sh*t. Is that true? I thought Canady was playing for the other no-name guy 

True as far as I can tell.  I did not see it reported, but he gave up that TD at the half against the Steelers and never saw the field again.  The announcer seemes to think Maye shared blame but still.  I didn't see him on the injured list and AFAIK he was active but DNP against the Bills. Maulet played 100% of the snaps both games.  Canaday played 45% against the Steelers (Austin played 55%) and 100% against the Bills

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, phill1c said:

Here's my grades:

Overall, I give it a B-

The OP gets an F- 

• Upvote 1