I am having a very hopeful feeling about this draft for the Jets

Beerfish

and it is upsetting me,  Not used to it.

I keeping doing mocks and liking almost every single mock I do because there are so many good players in our positions of need.

Even if the guys I like for our 1st rounder are gone I still get 2 or 3 oline I like and always get at least two WRs I like.

I pray that Douglas can draft.  After Idzik and McCagnan it has been 7 years of putrid gm drafting.

One really good draft can just jump your team 3 steps forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'm with you.  Most of us have a similar feeling of there being a lot of opportunity to improve the team this offseason, a new GM, etc. but we're all held captive by the team's history of f**king things up when those opportunities are staring them right in the face.  Here are some positives and reasons to be optimistic that may help you sleep better...

1. Joe Douglas seems like the best-prepared builder of a player evaluation & selection program that we've had in the GM role in a long time.  He's learned under some of the best including Ozzie Newsome and he's been involved in constructing successful rosters just about everywhere he's gone including Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia.  I think he has both a short and long term vision.  By virtue of his hiring last May he's had a chance to watch this entire team for 7 months and he knows the strengths and weaknesses.  He also is on a 6-year deal and feels zero pressure to just "make a splash" and give a bad contract to somebody to save his job or put butts in MetLife stadium seats (ex. Le’Veon Bell).  I'm going to go back and watch Joe D's introductory press conference again shortly....He spoke of an approach that should give all Jets fans some confidence.

2. We don't have to guess.  We KNOW that this GM understands the priorities and there's practically 0% chance he does something like Maccagnan did in drafting yet another DLinemen or other unneeded player.  Joe has stated the OLine needs to be worked on.  He gets it.  I think his approach is BPA within the context of need.  (ex. If the #37 player on his board is a DT and the #41 player is an OT, I think he'd see those guys as close enough to lean towards the need of an OT and not be rigid to his Big Board).

3. This Draft lines up very, very well with Jets needs.  For the first time in a while this truly seems like an Offensive draft with no fewer than 5-6 draftable WRs with 1st round grades, 4-5 OTs worthy of 1st round picks, and another 10-15 total WRs/OLinemen worthy of being taken in Rounds 2-3.

4. We have some Cap flexibility and $$ to spend.  Not quite at the level of previous years, but the Jets will say goodbye to some guys like Trumaine Johnson and I think they'll have enough $$ to hit Offensive Line, Edge, CB and maybe WR with 5-6 acquisitions.  They won't all be A+ / Top Tier FA's but the Jets will plug some holes in FA.

5. We have good Draft assets.  #11 is a good spot in this OT/WR draft, and we could even trade back another 5 or so spots to get one while accumulating another pick.  The Jets come back with another mid-round pick in the 2nd and then two more early/mid-round picks in the 3rd (Thank you NY Giants!).  This team can absolutely find a WR, OT, CB, OG in the first 3 rounds who will all have starting caliber draft grades and a chance to earn starting spots in Training Camp.

• Upvote 3

I am actually the opposite, and I usually skew much more optimistic.

Lots can change from now and then, but I just am having a hard time seeing a scenario where one of the "elite" OTs or WRs is there at 11.  Either leaving the Jets to reach or take someone at a lesser position of need.  There would be a trade down chance maybe, but who knows.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Lots can change from now and then, but I just am having a hard time seeing a scenario where one of the "elite" OTs or WRs is there at 11.  Either leaving the Jets to reach or take someone at a lesser position of need.  There would be a trade down chance maybe, but who knows.

If the Top 3 OTs and Top 2-3 WRs are gone then who would you be comfortable "reaching for" hypothetically.  Let's say there's no trade down opportunity.  And, just for giggles....Drafttek's current/updated OT rankings are very, very interesting right now....

560020694_ScreenShot2020-01-05at7_01_25PM.png.d89afa6b8f502c4d8bb19271369085ac.png

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If the Top 3 OTs and Top 2-3 WRs are gone then who would you be comfortable "reaching for" hypothetically.  Let's say there's no trade down opportunity.  And, just for giggles....Drafttek's current/updated OT rankings are very, very interesting right now....

560020694_ScreenShot2020-01-05at7_01_25PM.png.d89afa6b8f502c4d8bb19271369085ac.png

I should clarify the scenario I'm scared of is Thomas, Wirfs, Willis and Juedy and Lamb gone.

I don't know enough about most of those guys to say to be honest.  From what I have seen and read, my guess on the two tackles would could jump into that convo in that scenario are Jones and Becton.

From the dudes I am more familiar with,  I probably would take Higgins if they couldn't move.  If they could, try to move down and take either of the two top Centers then one of these tackles.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I should clarify the scenario I'm scared of is Thomas, Wirfs, Willis and Juedy and Lamb gone.

I don't know enough about most of those guys to say to be honest.  From what I have seen and read, my guess on the two tackles would could jump into that convo in that scenario are Jones and Becton.

From the dudes I am more familiar with,  I probably would take Higgins if they couldn't move.  If they could, try to move down and take either of the two top Centers then one of these tackles.

I have the same Top 5 guys that I'd love at #11 right now.  If I'm stuck at #11 with no trade down then my reach won't be for one of the Centers, although I like both Biadasz and Humphrey.  I'd go either Higgins or Ruggs at WR or Austin Jackson at OT (who is my #4 OT, not #1 like Drafttek has).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'd take Becton. Really like that kid from what limited things I have read and seen. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Well this for me all depends on how Douglas feels about WRS.  I can see us not getting the best ots but if we don;t we should be able to get a difference maker WR.  I've had a couple mocks where things went as bad as they can get and i had to take the edge guy but still ended up with a good draft due to our 2nd and 3rd rounders.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Same here.  Matt Miller's article from Friday had a discussion of draft priorities for the teams in the top 10 and over half of them included O Line.  I'm fully expecting all three Tier 1 OTs, as well as Jeudy and Lamb, to be off the board by the time we pick -- while Derrick Brown and Isaiah Simmons no doubt "drop" to 11 -- and Douglas just ends up settling for the next OT on his board.

Let's hope Tua declares for the draft tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Same here.  Matt Miller's article from Friday had a discussion of draft priorities for the teams in the top 10 and over half of them included O Line.  I'm fully expecting all three Tier 1 OTs, as well as Jeudy and Lamb, to be off the board by the time we pick -- while Derrick Brown and Isaiah Simmons no doubt "drop" to 11 -- and Douglas just ends up setting for the next OT on his board.

Given the setup of this Draft at the top and being offense heavy do you think that forces some teams that need D to reach a little bit?  If you're a team with major needs on the DLine or in the Secondary there are only so many Browns, Okudahs and Delpits in this Draft.  The #5 WR and #5 OT are likely better than the #3 DT and #3 CB.  That could cause some defenders to get taken earlier than they should.  Just my take.

15 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Let's hope Tua declares for the draft tomorrow.

Wish granted. lol

• Sympathy 1

On 1/5/2020 at 6:04 PM, jetstream23 said:

I think its some of the obvious suspects. Becton, Niang and Jackson would be the OTs. Biadasz and Murphey the Cs but to me, the top prospects, if available would be Higgins, Ruggs, Fulton or Epenesa. Epenesa would be REALLY tempting. Dude looks like he could be an immediate impact player in the NFL.