3 Cone Drill

choon328

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Look, it's just the side of the sport that gets me innervated. We've been through a draft-holocaust, the last decade or so. So you've seen me at my worst lately. Some of you get your panties in a bunch over Jamal's antics, or maybe PSL plans for others... Some get worked up mid season over dice that i think have been cast...  I struggle with the legacy of draft ineptitude. 

Is what it is, brother. 

It’s obviously your thing nobody disputes that

please just be polite to the rest of us 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

If one person talks about the 3 cone drill on this board during the combine they should be banned.  Just saying. DK Metcalf is out here making a lot of people look stupid right now. He should've been the Jets pick. 

3 cone drill tells you quite a bit about a player's balance and change of direction skills.  It's exceptionally important for, say, pass-rushers.

Not necessarily for receivers

20 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

On the night of the draft there was speculation that DK had got caught juicing. 

That appears to have been untrue

I don’t really see why he needs to get busted. Most don’t and with a lot of guys it’s not totally obvious. The difference in Metcalf’s instance is 1) His Dad got caught on gear and 2) You’re a human being with eyeballs. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don’t really see why he needs to get busted. Most don’t and with a lot of guys it’s not totally obvious. The difference in Metcalf’s instance is 1) His Dad got caught on gear and 2) You’re a human being with eyeballs. 

Addendum: Unless you’re blind in which case my apologies for being presumptuous. If this is the case it’s probably a good time to tell you that DK Metcalf is on a ****ton of steroids.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Addendum: Unless you’re blind in which case my apologies for being presumptuous. If this is the case it’s probably a good time to tell you that DK Metcalf is on a ****ton of steroids.

He looks like a 1980s professional wrestler. Juiced to the gills.  The first time I saw the infamous picture of him I searched online for like 30 minutes to see if it was a hoax.

• Upvote 1

If we offered the Seahawks a trade package of Shepard, Herndon, Nickerson, fatukasi, Cannon, Q, chuma, Wesco, cashman, & bless Austin for DK Metcalf they would turn it down. They would probably laugh at us for even trying.

And for those keeping score at home that's every draft pick Macc made the last 2 years. (minus Sam)

Fire Maccaganan! 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

29 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He looks like a 1980s professional wrestler. Juiced to the gills.  The first time I saw the infamous picture of him I searched online for like 30 minutes to see if it was a hoax.

I recently read a good sci-fi book about tiny nanorobots that hide inside humans and then explode outwards. When I see pictures of Metcalf’s stomach I feel like that’s exactly what all of the growth hormone wants to do inside of him. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The guy had production and injury issues that made him less than a cant miss prospect and knocked him down the draft board

But Im sure you knew also that Brady was going to be a great QB and would have taken him in the first round instead of the 6th

You probably also wanted Michael Thomas who has led the NFL in receptions though he went mid 2 nd round.

You should submit your GM resume around the NFL.

Cris Collinsworth had DK 7 overall on his board. No one had Brady anything, he was an outlier. Everyone thought he had stone hands, and could not run routes is why he fell.

It must be strange to pick great players in round 2, or any of value for that matter.

• Upvote 2

If one person talks about the 3 cone drill on this board during the combine they should be banned.  Just saying. DK Metcalf is out here making a lot of people look stupid right now. He should've been the Jets pick. 

Funny.

Oh how we all love DK Metcalf today. He had a great game no doubt. Very similar stats to Robbie Anderson’s Dallas game.

Now we want to rewind and take Metcalf at 3 overall But don’t want to sign Robbie Anderson in the offseason.

Metcalf

58/900/7. Avg- 16.5

Robbie

52/779/5. Avg- 15

With the worst OL in the league and his QB having mono and being out for 3 games

We have DK Metcalf. Just without the same roided out Dawan Landry sculpt.

https://alchetron.com/cdn/dawan-landry-4a6ed841-fda9-4f26-9d7b-7c1a8da738f-resize-750.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Cris Collinsworth had DK 7 overall on his board. No one had Brady anything, he was an outlier. Everyone thought he had stone hands, and could not run routes is why he fell.

It must be strange to pick great players in round 2, or any of value for that matter.

From Wikipedia:  Metcalf had 26 receptions for 569 yards before sustaining a season-ending neck injury against Arkansas.[8] After his 2018 season, Metcalf declared for the 2019 NFL Draft, forgoing his last two years of college football. He finished his career with 67 receptions for 1,228 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Metcalf had a great physique and tested well at the combine but neck injury history and incomplete college resume were issues.  His appearance brought up the steroid question too.  It’s one of the reasons players are selected later in the draft, because there are risks.  It’s the same reason we were able to get a player like Bless Austin in the 6th round.

Collinsworth Is an announcer, not an NFL talent evaluator.   Just like some people here, he will tell you about players he liked if they hit, but quickly forgets those that don’t.  

Good players get picked through out the draft, but their overall success ratio decreases by round.  There’s a reason most NFL QBs are first rounders, but a few are occasionally found later.  We took Gastineau in the second and Klecko in the 6th.  Robby Anderson was an undrafted free agent. Marques Colston was a late rd pick.   There are plenty of those stories.  

Taking Williams might end up being a mistake, either because of position or performance, but his floor was viewed as much higher than Metcalfs and he had no injury issues.  It’s a risk/reward scenario.  Reaching for guys like Metcalf is how the Jets ended up with Vernon Gholston.  Great for him and Seattle that he seems to be working out, but they obviously also had concerns as they took Collier at 29, and Blair at 47, before taking Metcalf at 64.

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

From Wikipedia:  Metcalf had 26 receptions for 569 yards before sustaining a season-ending neck injury against Arkansas.[8] After his 2018 season, Metcalf declared for the 2019 NFL Draft, forgoing his last two years of college football. He finished his career with 67 receptions for 1,228 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Metcalf had a great physique and tested well at the combine but neck injury history and incomplete college resume were issues.  His appearance brought up the steroid question too.  It’s one of the reasons players are selected later in the draft, because there are risks.  It’s the same reason we were able to get a player like Bless Austin in the 6th round.

Collinsworth Is an announcer, not an NFL talent evaluator.   Just like some people here, he will tell you about players he liked if they hit, but quickly forgets those that don’t.  

Good players get picked through out the draft, but their overall success ratio decreases by round.  There’s a reason most NFL QBs are first rounders, but a few are occasionally found later.  We took Gastineau in the second and Klecko in the 6th.  Robby Anderson was an undrafted free agent. Marques Colston was a late rd pick.   There are plenty of those stories.  

Taking Williams might end up being a mistake, either because of position or performance, but his floor was viewed as much higher than Metcalfs and he had no injury issues.  It’s a risk/reward scenario.  Reaching for guys like Metcalf is how the Jets ended up with Vernon Gholston.  Great for him and Seattle that he seems to be working out, but they obviously also had concerns as they took Collier at 29, and Blair at 47, before taking Metcalf at 64.

Well unfortunately, we didn’t have a 2nd rounder. I’m not advocating that we spent our 3rd overall pick on Metcalf. He was a steal in the 2nd round. I’d have picked Josh Allen who the Jag’s picked.

Perhaps a trade down for extra picks would have been the ideal outcome in 2019?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

3 cone drill tells you quite a bit about a player's balance and change of direction skills.  It's exceptionally important for, say, pass-rushers.

Not necessarily for receivers

There was a good article last year, looking for it now.. that tried to dispute the importance for a 3-cone drill for pass rushers.  It went against the traditional view that 3-cone is a vital metric for Edge.  If I can find ti.  I'll post it up.

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Maybe more of a David Boston thing?

That was my problem when considering Metcalf last spring.  He just shouted "David Boston" to me, and we all know what a disappointment Boston was and mostly due to his body building. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

He was picked at the end of the second round   We didnt have a second round pick

Are you suggesting we should have picked him with 3rd pick of round 1?   

We had an opportunity to trade down that Macc didn't take.  That would have been the smart move, whether we ended up with Metcalf or not.  

13 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Eagles drafted that stiff JJ  Arcega-Whitside 7 picks before Metcalf.  Imagine needing a WR, scouting the position group for months and then picking Arcega-Whiteside over Metcalf?  Mind boggling. 

B*tch please.  We've been there before.  Remember Stephen Hill over Alshon Jeffery?  The Idzik 12?  Chad Hansen and ArDarius Stewart?

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i watched a ton of seattle this year...this dude is not special at all. tons of drops, would drive me up the ******* wall as a fan. if u guys thing he deserved to be the third pick you are smoking something or not watching.

If drafted at 3 he would be the best WR on the team. 

DK Metcalf 58 catches 900 yards 7 TD 

Q Williams 15 tackles 2.5 sacks 

Who helps this team win more games. 

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

What really sucks is how good of a draft this past one was for receivers and of course the Jets walked away with not one of them

The ripple effects of passing on Watson/Mahomes then trading three 2nd rounders for the # 3 pick.  

Sure, Macc would have probably messed up those 2nd rounders.  But that's free draft capital we could have had, and maybe gotten one of those WRs we liked.

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

Despite the fact that you act like a big bitch towards me, I think you're a smart and savy poster... also, you're not an idiot. So let me once and for all try to paint you a picture - so you can drop the bitch act.

Imagine a guy... who's career has largely been Talent Management/Acquisition - who likes football and (oddly enough) loves the Talent Management Recruitment side of the sport... IOWs, the DRAFT! Crazy right?!... Now imagine have the worst couple GMs fck up the picks annually... to the point where i can do it better.... 

So is it really... i mean really a shocker that I have a lot piss and vinegar about this particular topic? maybe if we stop drafting a like meathheads i won't to bother you with my using JN as a therapy. 

13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So this is all I will say on this matter.

Out of the two of us, I don't think it's me that has the "act".  The only issue I have with you is your condescending bullsh*t attitude.  You act like anyone with a differing viewpoint to yours is a moron.  I don't have time or tolerance for that sh**.  And I'm not even talking about me.  It doesn't bother me one bit if you come at me.  I find it comical.  

I do think when it comes to the draft you have a good opinions and getter deeper into than probably anyone on here.  And I get the impression you love doing it, so good on you.

I'll refrain from pointing it out going forward.

C'mon Mom and Dad.  Don't fight.  I like both of you.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The ripple effects of passing on Watson/Mahomes then trading three 2nd rounders for the # 3 pick.  

Sure, Macc would have probably messed up those 2nd rounders.  But that's free draft capital we could have had, and maybe gotten one of those WRs we liked.

We could of traded up with one of the 3’s we had. We wasted one on Jachai anyway. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He's helping the Seahawks win today. QW is eating bon-bons on the couch, Carry on. 

QW 15 solo tackles 2.5 sacks 

And?

thats not how you draft, crying we should have picked him at 1 because you saw two catches in a playoff game.  
He had Anderson numbers who most don’t want to pay but today we should have drafted him at 3.  Lol, ok

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

God I loved me some DGB... Though to be fair, i wasn't as crazy about him after he was dismissed from Mizzou

What a waste. We can be critical of this and that -- but without sitting down to interview these kids and do some thorough homework... we never really know. 

Wait.....So you're saying these GM's and their scouting departments are privy to details that we're not.....and STILL get this stuff wrong more often than draftniks like you do?  Crazy.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And?

thats not how you draft, crying we should have picked him at 1 because you saw two catches in a playoff game.  
He had Anderson numbers who most don’t want to pay but today we should have drafted him at 3.  Lol, ok

I don't why i'm even bothering responding to you. 

The NY Jets needed a #1 WR at the time the draft took place and a we still need a #1 WR today. 

Sam Darnold struggled mainly because of the OL but not having a true #1 WR hurt. 

We could have traded back and acquired another pick and drafted DK Metcalf or drafted him at #3 his stats prove he was the better choice as we speak than QW based on the way we draft the pick would have been a good one. 

Season stats 58 catches 900 yards 7 TD NOT basing anything off of 1 playoff game. 

QW 15 solo tackles 2.5 sacks we got more from the UDFA's. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The internet is forever.  

I imagine @dbatesman keeps a folder on his desktop with all the hot takes on JN in it, then pulls from them when he needs to necro something.  

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I remember every stupid thing anyone has ever said here. It’s my blessing. And my curse.

Yuppppp

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If drafted at 3 he would be the best WR on the team. 

Q Williams 15 tackles 2.5 sacks 

Who helps this team win more games. 

No one disputes DK >>> QW.  But that's more of a statement on just how bad the QW pick was.

Would I take DK over QW at 3?  Yes.  But that wasn't the only option there.  I'd very quickly and easily take Ed Oliver over QW/DK at # 3 overall.  Mostly because Oliver is going to have a long, successful career whereas DK is going to succumb to injuries because of his physique and not get a 2nd contract with Seattle.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And?

The CORRECT move would of been Josh Allen at 3 then trade up into the 2nd for DK. 

Speaking of WR’s, DK’s Ole Miss teammate? brown, he’s the real one that got away. I knew DK and Brown would be really good. Sometimes it’s just obvious. Brown is a great YAC receiver. Jerry Jeudy is the next one and he’s even better.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

No one disputes DK >>> QW.  But that's more of a statement on just how bad the QW pick was.

Would I take DK over QW at 3?  Yes.  But that wasn't the only option there.  I'd very quickly and easily take Ed Oliver over QW/DK at # 3 overall.  Mostly because Oliver is going to have a long, successful career whereas DK is going to succumb to injuries because of his physique and not get a 2nd contract with Seattle.

Drafting defense was DUMB especially if you weren't drafting the edge rusher Josh Allen, the #3 pick should have been an offensive playmaker or OL. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The CORRECT move would of been Josh Allen at 3 then trade up into the 2nd for DK. 

Speaking of WR’s, DK’s Ole Miss teammate? brown, he’s the real one that got away. I knew DK and Brown would be really good. Sometimes it’s just obvious. Brown is a great YAC receiver. Jerry Jeudy is the next one and he’s even better.

Metcalf or Brown either one should have been chosen by the NY Jets. 

• Upvote 1