Are the Saints the new Jets?

Xtina

So many questions after NO getting knocked out of post season AGAIN due to bad officiating. A rule created just for their misery wasn’t even applied yesterday 

i was surprised they even had to be in the WC round , their record seemed much stronger than that  

is Green Bay really that much better? I know I know SOS etc but still 

I don’t even like this team but I’m getting the feeling the NFL has it in for them. Last year I was sick to death about the whining and whinging about getting knocked out of the SB because of a DPI non call. Happens every week to the Jets. But this is starting to smell 

I thought the NFL loves them some superstar QB’s. Is it still bountygate? 

Discuss 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I used to feel bad for the Saints, bad call, miracle play, but after a while it’s not just bad luck. This is a team that steam tolls thru the regular season and sh*ts the bed in the playoffs. They put themselves in position to where the game could be lost on one bad call or one Hail Mary and the championship teams usually don’t at least not as frequently as the saints do. 

Exactly.  Brees has been coming up small in the postseason for years now.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I used to feel bad for the Saints, bad call, miracle play, but after a while it’s not just bad luck. This is a team that steam tolls thru the regular season and sh*ts the bed in the playoffs. They put themselves in position to where the game could be lost on one bad call or one Hail Mary and the championship teams usually don’t at least not as frequently as the saints do. 

This. You want to avoid strange or bad sh*t happening? Be 9 points up at the two minute warning. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not even remotely close to the Jets - I see no similarity whatsoever...with that said

That was blatant OPI and needs to be called.

It was one of those calls where if was called on the field it would have stayed in replay, just like as a non call it couldn’t be reversed in replay.  

Wasn’t a blatant OPI.  Some teams, some players are losers and always lose

The thing that annoys me is these stupid overtime rules. You win the coin toss, your gonna win the game. Happened last year with the chiefs and pats. Mahomes didn't even get a chance with the ball. Same thing this year with Brees. How is that fair? Especially in a league that is so offensively driven. All the rules favor the offense. if you lose the coin toss your screwed.

Each team should get a possesion. or play out an entire 15 minute qtr.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Xtina said:

So many questions after NO getting knocked out of post season AGAIN due to bad officiating. A rule created just for their misery wasn’t even applied yesterday 

i was surprised they even had to be in the WC round , their record seemed much stronger than that  

is Green Bay really that much better? I know I know SOS etc but still 

I don’t even like this team but I’m getting the feeling the NFL has it in for them. Last year I was sick to death about the whining and whinging about getting knocked out of the SB because of a DPI non call. Happens every week to the Jets. But this is starting to smell 

I thought the NFL loves them some superstar QB’s. Is it still bountygate? 

Discuss 

No. Saints are a very well run organization. The weird thing about that call was the overtime rule. In overtime only the booth can review in overtime so the coaches are helpless. So what do they do? They decide to not make the call there and this proves how arbitrary the officiating in the NFL is. I love how one pundit says it was a foul but you can’t call it “ there.” Haha. It was a pretty blatant push off and I’m not sure it happens every play in the NFL like some people want to say. Truth is, he created space with the push that gave him an opportunity to catch that ball. But hey , you can’t call it there! Haha. I wonder where you can call it? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

They weren't knocked out because of bad officiating.  They were knocked out because Brees was striped of the ball on a play a veteran QB can't let happen. 

The PI by the receiver could have easily been a hold on the defender before the PI happened.  They are letting defenders hand fight and face guard more than ever which I kind of think is okay.  This isn't a one way thing.  Officials sometimes call games really close and sometimes they allow some hand fighting.  If you're going to allow defenders to face guard and hand fight with the ball in play you have to give the receiver the ability to go after the ball.  It wasn't clear cut at all.  

If a game is being called tight the ruling on the field will be PI.  If the game isn't being called tight the ruling on the field won't be PI.  If you allow the guys in NY to look at a specific play and change it without taking into consideration the overall officiating of the game it makes the entire officiating process ridiculous.   Players and coaches adjust to the officiating, you can't change the rules of a particular game on the last play of the game.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The thing that annoys me is these stupid overtime rules. You win the coin toss, your gonna win the game. Happened last year with the chiefs and pats. Mahomes didn't even get a chance with the ball. Same thing this year with Brees. How is that fair? Especially in a league that is so offensively driven. All the rules favor the offense. if you lose the coin toss your screwed.

Part of being a a well coached team is practicing the coin toss.  

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Agreed. Pretty simple solution.

I like Brees and I like Demario....but I kinda think Sean Payton is an arrogant doosh.  Some people have made the argument that Payton and Brees would get the kind of recognition that Belichick and Brady get as a HC/QB tandem if Belichick and Brady weren't around.  I disagree.  The Saints play in the other conference and have accomplished almost nothing compared to what NE has.....New England has never been in their way because the Saints have only made it to the Super Bowl ONE TIME in the entire Payton/Brees tenure.  Think about that....ONE Super Bowl trip for those two in how many years?

Andy Reid takes a lot of criticism as the great regular season coach who can't win in the playoffs.  Sean Payton is right there with him.  Drew Brees is the all-time passing leader.....one trip to the Super Bowl, and that was a decade ago!

I don't think the NFL has it out for the Saints, although I'm sure that having to usher in a controversial rule because of them, as well as the whole bounty gate legacy doesn't make staffers at the League Office love the Saints.  The Saints have simply folded like a cheap tent went the stakes have been highest.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I disagree.  If you can't prevent a team from a TD on the opening drive of OT, you don't deserve a chance to win the game.  

Playing out a full 15 minutes is an easy way to pile up more injuries when you've got 2 tired teams. 

The problem I have with that is it shouldn't come down to a coin toss to knock a team out of the playoffs. It would be like an extra inning baseball game....if the team scores in the top of the inning, the game's over.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

The problem I have with that is it shouldn't come down to a coin toss to knock a team out of the playoffs. It would be like an extra inning baseball game....if the team scores in the top of the inning, the game's over.

But it doesn't come down to a coin toss.  It comes down to the defense preventing the opposing team from reaching the end zone.  Force a punt or a field goal, or get a turnover, and the game continues.  You can allow points on the drive and still get the ball back.  How is that an unfair rule?

Your analogy doesn't work either.  The MLB version would be a team scoring, say, 3 runs in the top of the extra inning, not just 1 run.  If a team scores 3 runs in the top of the inning, odds are, that's your ballgame anyways.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, section314 said:

How did it come down to a coin toss?  The Saints were allowed to play Defense.  All that was required is to stop a TD not a score.  

• Upvote 3

WE agree to disagree.

That isn't what this is though.  Your argument is factually incorrect.  The game does NOT come down to, simply, the coin toss.  Under the new rules there have been quite a few OT games, both in the regular season and playoffs, that did not come down to the coin toss.

That was the argument under the old rules.  At least that one held some water, because a team could go down and kick a FG and the game would be over.  That isn't the case anymore.  The new rule is far more fair than the old rule.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

How did it come down to a coin toss?  The Saints were allowed to play Defense.  All that was required is to stop a TD not a score.  

It’s a team game. Defense is 1/3 of the team. If they can’t do there job. They don’t deserve to win. 

The new overtime rules are probably the best way to handle overtime with how accurate kickers have become 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That isn't what this is though.  Your argument is factually incorrect.  The game does NOT come down to, simply, the coin toss.  Under the new rules there have been quite a few OT games, both in the regular season and playoffs, that did not come down to the coin toss.

That was the argument under the old rules.  At least that one held some water, because a team could go down and kick a FG and the game would be over.  That isn't the case anymore.  The new rule is far more fair than the old rule.  

Agree that it is much fairer, but still don't think it is perfect. When a team's season is on the line, each team should have a chance to get the ball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Brees has been coming up small in the postseason for years now.  

Yep. THey shoudl've steamrolled the Vikings and deserved to lose. Brees fumbled the game away the second to last drive and then on the 2 minute drill only got them close enough for a game tying 49 yd attempt. Not even close to a TD.

• Upvote 2

Agree that it is much fairer, but still don't think it is perfect. When a team's season is on the line, each team should have a chance to get the ball.

Each team DOES have a chance to get the ball.  Keep the other team out of the end zone and you get the ball back.  

You're operating like one team is getting screwed over if they lose the toss.  They're not.  

• Upvote 1

I can't believe people are whining about the no call.

People actually make arguements for Brees as the GOAT. They were playing at home, in a dome and Brees had 200 yards and 2 turnovers with only 20 pts

Not close to good enough.

• Upvote 2