Sign in to follow this  
Xtina

Are the Saints the new Jets?

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't care all games should have a winner and a loser, no NFL game should end in a tie. 

Let’s do a shootout with kickers going kick for kick starting at 40 yards and moving back 5 yards every round. Kinda like hockey! 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Let’s do a shootout with kickers going kick for kick starting at 40 yards and moving back 5 yards every round. Kinda like hockey! 

Not a terrible idea, actually.  If you're in the playoffs, you tend to have a trustworthy kicker anyways.  

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

I used to feel bad for the Saints, bad call, miracle play, but after a while it’s not just bad luck. This is a team that steam tolls thru the regular season and sh*ts the bed in the playoffs. They put themselves in position to where the game could be lost on one bad call or one Hail Mary and the championship teams usually don’t at least not as frequently as the saints do. 

That's us... after 20 years of Woody, it is NOT luck. We are poorly run, poorly draft, poorly develop.    Saints appear to be stacked at most positions so I don't know why they seem to fail but they do have a SB in the last 10 years.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Each team DOES have a chance to get the ball.  Keep the other team out of the end zone and you get the ball back.  

You're operating like one team is getting screwed over if they lose the toss.  They're not.  

So how come nobody decides to kick off in over time. Because if you get the ball your odds of winning increase dramatically. You don't think the coin toss matters?

Since the new ot rule in 2011 8 playoff games went to OT and 5 ended on the first possession. 5 times the other team didn't get the ball. Winning the coin toss is a clear advantage. Both teams should get the ball

8 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

So how come nobody decides to kick off in over time. Because if you get the ball your odds of winning increase dramatically. You don't think the coin toss matters?

It matters.  But it doesn't automatically decide the game.  The numbers don't reflect that.  You guys are overreacting to what just happened this week, ignoring all the times a team fails to go down and score a TD that first OT drive.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Brees has been coming up small in the postseason for years now.  

Exactly the reason. Not bad calls.  An aging QB that has always had limited arm strength. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Since the new ot rule in 2011 8 playoff games went to OT and 5 ended on the first possession. 5 times the other team didn't get the ball. Winning the coin toss is a clear advantage. Both teams should get the ball

So 5 times the defense couldn't prevent a TD.  Pathetic.  That's not on the coin toss.  That's on the defense.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So 5 times the defense couldn't prevent a TD.  Pathetic.  That's not on the coin toss.  That's on the defense.

What if the other teams won the coin toss. Would the results be different. Probably. What if falcons win the coin toss in the super bowl against the pats. What if mahomes and the chiefs won the coin toss last year. Maybe Brady would have 2 less super bowls today if a coin landed differently.

And that's my point

1 minute ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

What if the other teams won the coin toss. Would the results be different.

Possibly.  Brees came up small in the clutch all game long.  I imagine Minnesota might well have kept them out of the end zone.  

2 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

What if falcons win the coin toss in the super bowl against the pats.

FFS they blew a 28-3 lead.  That game never should have reached OT.

I was fine with Sudden Death the way it was but don't have a big problem with the OT rule as is. 

It's actually an advantage to get the ball 2nd if the other team scores a FG. You have the luxury of going on offense and having 4 downs to play with until you get into FG range.

The rule change was made to stop teams from getting the ball, going 30 years and winning the game with a FG. If you give up a TD, too bad. You lose.

My only issue with the new not-so-sudden death is making OT 10 minutes during the reg season. The reason the NFL has more ties is because if the teams trade FGs that will basically eat up the entire 10 minutes

• Upvote 1

And btw - the Saints lost for 3 more important reasons:

1. Missed FG at end of half

2. Brees fumble. Inexcusable ball security.

3. Saints abysmal clock management in last 3 minutes, taking an unused timeout into the off season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The thing that annoys me is these stupid overtime rules. You win the coin toss, your gonna win the game. Happened last year with the chiefs and pats. Mahomes didn't even get a chance with the ball. Same thing this year with Brees. How is that fair? Especially in a league that is so offensively driven. All the rules favor the offense. if you lose the coin toss your screwed.

Each team should get a possesion. or play out an entire 15 minute qtr.

The Saints went to OT with the Rams last year in the NFCCG. Saints won the coin toss. Who won that game?

19 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

What if the other teams won the coin toss. Would the results be different. Probably. What if falcons win the coin toss in the super bowl against the pats. What if mahomes and the chiefs won the coin toss last year. Maybe Brady would have 2 less super bowls today if a coin landed differently.

And that's my point

Defense is a part of football, no matter how much the NFL tries to legislate against it. How about stopping a team from getting in the end zone?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

FFS they blew a 28-3 lead.  That game never should have reached OT.

Right. It's unbelievable what the thought process is out here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Defense is a part of football, no matter how much the NFL tries to legislate against it. How about stopping a team from getting in the end zone?

I totally get what you and Jetsfan80 are saying. But I still think if you win the coin toss your more than likely going to win the game. it was unsatisfying seeing mahomes on the sidelines in OT and not get a chance to match Brady.  I'm definitely not the only person who feels this way

3 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I totally get what you and Jetsfan80 are saying. But I still think if you win the coin toss your more than likely going to win the game. it was unsatisfying seeing mahomes on the sidelines in OT and not get a chance to match Brady.  I'm definitely not the only person who feels this way

Just because the KC/NE game didn't end the way we wanted doesn't justify changing the rules.  Finish the game off in regulation or stop the opposing offense from getting 6.

Just 1 day previously the Bills/Texans OT game went back and forth in the OT period.  That's how defenses need to play. 

You don't hear the Saints complaining today.  Nor did you hear any complaints from the Chiefs.  They knew they should have stopped the other team.

The Saints/Sean Payton allowed Minnesota to stay in the game they deserved to lose. You cant let a team like the Vikings hang around. 

N.O play calling was horrendous. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

WE agree to disagree.

I get your point but within the OT rules, MN made a decision to go for the win and completed a very tough pass to do it.  They miss that pass its 2nd and 10 and the advantage goes to NO.  Don't get a first down, NO is now driving for a field goal to win instead of a TD with a huge field to work with.  

It's not easy to score TD's but it isn't that tough to get into FG position in a dome with a good kicker.  MN had to win the game on the first possession or at least score a FG to have a chance for a second possession.  They executed a very tough high risk play to win the game.  A play they don't call if either a FG wins the game in sudden death or a fg gives the ball back to the opposition.  

The rules did impact the strategy and MN decided they had to go for it on their first possession.  Had they not been able to execute or if NO had prevented them from executing it NO probably wins that game on their first possession.  

3 hours ago, Xtina said:

So many questions after NO getting knocked out of post season AGAIN due to bad officiating. A rule created just for their misery wasn’t even applied yesterday 

i was surprised they even had to be in the WC round , their record seemed much stronger than that  

is Green Bay really that much better? I know I know SOS etc but still 

I don’t even like this team but I’m getting the feeling the NFL has it in for them. Last year I was sick to death about the whining and whinging about getting knocked out of the SB because of a DPI non call. Happens every week to the Jets. But this is starting to smell 

I thought the NFL loves them some superstar QB’s. Is it still bountygate? 

Discuss 

Seems the NFL is moving on from the NE, Saints, of the world teams. NE used to get every call on O and D and now those games are being called on the level and that is making a big difference in the outcome of their games. Could it be also the NFL sick of the scandals that have occurred with NE and the Saints, maybe, but NFL knows these QBs over 40 have limited time left and they are moving towards what will be longer term teams/QBs for them where they already have Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, etc. and other young ones currently in the lower tier(s) that will get them viewership. No need to keep favoring washed up has beens that build great records each year mostly beating bad teams and then can't even win the first home playoff game.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I get your point but within the OT rules, MN made a decision to go for the win and completed a very tough pass to do it.  They miss that pass its 2nd and 10 and the advantage goes to NO.  Don't get a first down, NO is now driving for a field goal to win instead of a TD with a huge field to work with.  

It's not easy to score TD's but it isn't that tough to get into FG position in a dome with a good kicker.  MN had to win the game on the first possession or at least score a FG to have a chance for a second possession.  They executed a very tough high risk play to win the game.  A play they don't call if either a FG wins the game in sudden death or a fg gives the ball back to the opposition.  

The rules did impact the strategy and MN decided they had to go for it on their first possession.  Had they not been able to execute or if NO had prevented them from executing it NO probably wins that game on their first possession.  

You make great points. I guess I'm just a stubborn guy.😎

The OP should read: Are the Jets the new Saints?  I remember when the Saints fans wore paper bags on their heads.  That’s what we’ve been the last decade.

10-3-saints-fans-3_4.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

No. Saints are a very well run organization. The weird thing about that call was the overtime rule. In overtime only the booth can review in overtime so the coaches are helpless. So what do they do? They decide to not make the call there and this proves how arbitrary the officiating in the NFL is. I love how one pundit says it was a foul but you can’t call it “ there.” Haha. It was a pretty blatant push off and I’m not sure it happens every play in the NFL like some people want to say. Truth is, he created space with the push that gave him an opportunity to catch that ball. But hey , you can’t call it there! Haha. I wonder where you can call it? 

Exactly. And the critical point you made is that if this was in regulation, the coach would have challenged that non-call. The rule was in large part created so you could now challenge NON-CALLS and yet, when it matters most, you can't challenge it? Thats the problem. Its too problematic to put it on the refs to make that call having to think about whether or not it can be reviewed, they should just be able to call it as they see it. 

To me, that push off may not have been called every time but it would have been challenged every time and it would have been overturned after replay every time b/c it was pretty blatant once you look at it in replay.    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Brees has been coming up small in the postseason for years now.  

I mean, the guy holds every passing record ever and has one ring. A few bad defenses aside, he's not exactly clutch.

• Upvote 2

Brees is Curtis Martin.  A compiler.  If he played outside for a northern team or without the pass friendly rules, I’m not sure if he’d come close to the numbers he’s putting up.  

Some guys could play anywhere anytime...  he’s not one of those. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

If he played outside for a northern team or without the pass friendly rules, I’m not sure if he’d come close to the numbers he’s putting up.  

100%. Great QB but not near the GOAT

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

Not to mention if Captain Kirk turns the ball over with a poor throw, then the Saints are in prime position. My understanding is that if a pick 6 is thrown or a fumble is recovered for a touchdown, the team on defence wins the game. That's the risk the teams take when they want to receive first in overtime.

savage takedown of saints fans 

ouch

Not even close, the Saints are a very good team and the Jets SUCK

Saints are the new Colts. Brees is the new Manning (Peyton, obviously).

Great in the regular season, choke in the playoffs,