The Goal Is 120

KRL

Are most of those teams on the list running for a lot of yards because they have good running games?  Or is it because they get leads and are running out the clock?

And obviously, at least 2 of those teams (Baltimore, Buffalo) are on the list because their QBs run for a sh*t-ton of yards.  We don't have that capability.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You have to do both well.  There is no magic formula.

Yep. And the surest way to do both well relies on a great o-line. How a GM can place no value on these guys just baffles me. Especially for a team who recently had guys like Nick & Brick on it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Are most of those teams on the list running for a lot of yards because they have good running games?  Or is it because they get leads and are running out the clock?

And obviously, at least 2 of those teams (Baltimore, Buffalo) are on the list because their QBs run for a sh*t-ton of yards.  We don't have that capability.  

I think Sam does have some run ability. I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to not run with the whole mono, spleen thing. There were plenty of plays where Sam had a chunk of open yards available to run and he would keep moving toward the sideline to throw a tougher pass. 

I hope I am right and that next season he is more aggressive and willing to make some of those plays. If not then I am wrong on "do not run/take extra hits" mandate. 

Just now, Stark said:

I think Sam does have some run ability. I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to not run with the whole mono, spleen thing. There were plenty of plays where Sam had a chunk of open yards available to run and he would keep moving toward the sideline to throw a tougher pass. 

I hope I am right and that next season he is more aggressive and willing to make some of those plays. If not then I am wrong on "do not run/take extra hits" mandate. 

Yes, he's mobile.  But I was just saying he's not a RB in a QB's body like Allen is or a physical freak like Jackson is.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he's mobile.  But I was just saying he's not a RB in a QB's body like Allen is or a physical freak like Jackson is.  

I agree.

I don't expect 40 yards a game. I am just saying I think there were plays left on the field that he would have normally made. His rushing yards this year were less than half of last season. Just my opinion that he can be more mobile and use it. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

I agree.

I don't expect 40 yards a game. I am just saying I think there were plays left on the field that he would have normally made. His rushing yards this year were less than half of last season. Just my opinion that he can be more mobile and use it. 

Yep.  More roll-outs would be nice in 2020. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We need to draft a RB with some speed who can break off the big runs, I have been lobbying for Travis Etienne. 

Most teams have a 1-2 punch at the RB position. 

People don’t understand how hard I was riding the Jonathan Taylor train until Le’Veon Bell came around. If we trade L Bell and need a young RB immediately... Taylor just turned in one of the best college RB season’s of all time. 

And he’s from New Jersey.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

People don’t understand how hard I was riding the Jonathan Taylor train until Le’Veon Bell came around. If we trade L Bell and need a young RB immediately... Taylor just turned in one of the best college RB season’s of all time. 

And he’s from New Jersey.

I'd be fine with him also along with Bell, we are tied with his contract doubt we get anything better than a 3rd round pick and with an improved OL Bell can help this offense. Gase called some terrible plays when it came to utilizing Bell and his strengths and weaknesses based on the situation. Most times our OL was standing up watching Bell struggle. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I'd be fine with him also along with Bell, we are tied with his contract doubt we get anything better than a 3rd round pick and with an improved OL Bell can help this offense. Gase called some terrible plays when it came to utilizing Bell and his strengths and weaknesses based on the situation. Most times our OL was standing up watching Bell struggle. 

I’d like to keep Bell personally but if we do wind up trading him and are in need of a RB, the 2020 RB’s look really good. Obviously we don’t have a “ton” of draft capital to go crazy with but Taylor would be something else. That kid can PLAY.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’d like to keep Bell personally but if we do wind up trading him and are in need of a RB, the 2020 RB’s look really good. Obviously we don’t have a “ton” of draft capital to go crazy with but Taylor would be something else. That kid can PLAY.

There are a few RB's in the draft that would help this team and make an immediate impact thats what we need. 

42 minutes ago, KRL said:

The team rushing stats for 2019 indicate that the Jets have to aim (at a minimum) for 120 yards
a game to be successful offensively in 2020:  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/season/2019/seasontype/2/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

They averaged a pathetic 78.6 yards a game last year which basically made them "one handed"
offensively and put too much pressure on Darnold.  I expect Douglas to address the OLine
issues in the off-season, it will then fall squarely on Gase to create a consistent run
scheme.  An effective running game will allow Darnold:

- To "take a mental break" by simply handing off to an RB 2-3 straight times and picking up
a first down without passing

- To open up the play action passing game.  A run game that is actually dangerous will force
the LB's to bite and create easier throwing lanes

If Gase can't hit those goals in 2020 there's no need to keep him around for 2021

Imagine that, being "one handed" and dependent on the passing game with the Offensive Line the Jets had and a subpar group of WRs.  7 wins seems like a minor miracle accomplished mostly through an over-achieving defense.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

There are a few RB's in the draft that would help this team and make an immediate impact thats what we need. 

I thought Devin Singletary was going to be a good one and was disappointed when the Bills picked him but he’s been everything you want in a RB.

those RB’s really aren’t too hard to find and it seems like every team is figuring that out pretty quickly. You pick em’ and start em’ these days. Jets need a young blood.who can take off on a home run 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I thought Devin Singletary was going to be a good one and was disappointed when the Bills picked him but he’s been everything you want in a RB.

those RB’s really aren’t too hard to find and it seems like every team is figuring that out pretty quickly. You pick em’ and start em’ these days. Jets need a young blood.who can take off on a home run 

I agree PK we have let way too many RB's get past us over the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The list is pretty clearly teams committed to the run and are good at running the Football and not the later.  

Just now, JiF said:

The list is pretty clearly teams committed to the run and not the later.  

For the most part, yes.  But I wouldn't put Houston or the Eagles in that category.  The Eagles had a ton of WR injuries so I think they had to use the ground game a lot more than they'd have liked to.  

Meanwhile the Cowboys, Colts and Cardinals all had varying degrees of disappointing seasons, so that doesn't really help the 120+ argument.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For the most part, yes.  But I wouldn't put Houston or the Eagles in that category.  The Eagles had a ton of WR injuries so I think they had to use the ground game a lot more than they'd have liked to.  

Meanwhile the Cowboys, Colts and Cardinals all had varying degrees of disappointing seasons, so that doesn't really help the 120+ argument.

I was more so talking about your comment of running with leads vs. good running teams.  The only teams that would apply to that logic are the Ravens and 49'ers since they were division leaders, everyone else was battling for a playoff spot or not very good and certainly not running the clock out on anyone.   And those 2 teams in particular (Ravens and 49'ers), are clearly committed to running the ball early and often. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I was more so talking about your comment of running with leads vs. good running teams.  The only teams that would apply to that logic are the Ravens and 49'ers since they were division leaders, everyone else was battling for a playoff spot or not very good and certainly not running the clock out on anyone.   And those 2 teams in particular (Ravens and 49'ers), are clearly committed to running the ball early and often. 

That's fair.  

1 hour ago, Stark said:

I agree.

I believe he is best when he improvises.  There was even a stat that said the longer he had time to throw, the worse he did. Guy was a statue too often and made way more plays when he relaxed and did his thing. I guess he just didn’t see the field like he did last year. 

2 hours ago, Stark said:

darnold has more mobility than any jet qb in a long time.  he doesn't need to be like jackson or even as willing as allen to tuck the ball and run .  what he has to do is be smarter about how to get a sure first down.  a few times this season he threw the ball as opposed to making an easy run.  not all of those passes were successful either.

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

More than the actually number of yards per game, it’s the average per carry that needs to change drastically.  Obviously by doing so the totals come up, but the Jets need to be more effective at running the football.  

We have to work toward our running being 4 YPC allowing our game plans to mostly be 50-50 balance between pass/run. We will not nor should not try to be like the Titans since the ground and pound is not what you want if you have a QB that can make plays and Darnold can. If Titans were not capable to run as much as they do Tannehill would have faultered and they would not have even had a .500 record this year. One play yesterday wasn't even from the blind side and he was hit and fumbled and another was a pass thrown up for grabs that only NE could get to. Those 2 plays are cause for concern for playing any better teams and as we know NE is not that good right now.