Cowboys hire Mike McCarthy as their new Head Coach

King P

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Cousins, who I wanted to sign, has another great year and wins a big playoff game on the road with some great throws late and in OT.

2. Watson, who I wanted to draft over Adams, wins a playoff game with a spectacular personal play and pass late.

3. McCarthy, who I wanted to hire over Gase, interviewed by literally everyone so far and is the first choice of the Dallas Cowboys.

4. Gase, who I doubted from day 1, finished with the 32nd ranked Offense in the NFL.  As expected.

5. The Jets O-line, which I screamed for ages was being problematically ignored and was a huge problem, was the worst O-line in the NFL this year.

Nice to have some validation.

you know, i was against McCarthy but now in hindsight, it would have been 10000000 times better than gase.

And its sad but I think you are right everyone did expect this to be the last pace offense because of Gase. 

We signed up for that? we actually went after gase. Its crazy.

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

you know, i was against McCarthy but now in hindsight, it would have been 10000000 times better than gase.

And its sad but I think you are right everyone did expect this to be the last pace offense because of Gase. 

We signed up for that? we actually went after gase. Its crazy.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.  The Jets were 4-12 in 2018 improved to 7-9 in 2019 with a sick QB and a ton of injuries.  Also you do know the Packers improved to 13-3 without McCarthy.  Unbelievable. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

You know, I never understood the McCarthy underachieved because he only won 1 Super Bowl with Rodgers.  Do you know how many great HC's wish they had just 1 SuperBowl win?  Hell, or appearances for that matter?  Or do you know how many different coaches that applies to?  Holmgren, Dungy, Cowher, Phillips, Reeves, Levy, Coryel, Reed, and many others.  Hell, Shula had Marino in his prime...zilch.

This isnt a plea for or against McCarthy, just always found that odd.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

But adam gase got fired from miami for no reason ?

After the season Gase told Ross to go f*ck himself.  McCarthy was fired for being a sh*tty head coach who couldn't get along with his best player.  The Packers are a public company with good management.  Ross is in league with Snyder and Woody.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

You know, I never understood the McCarthy underachieved because he only won 1 Super Bowl with Rodgers.  Do you know how many great HC's wish they had just 1 SuperBowl win?  Hell, or appearances for that matter?  Or do you know how many different coaches that applies to?  Holmgren, Dungy, Cowher, Phillips, Reeves, Levy, Coryel, Reed, and many others.  Hell, Shula had Marino in his prime...zilch.

People Deify Rodgers... He was considered the best QB skills wise for  number of years.  Everybody was like "Gee.  Why has he only won ONE SB?!"  Which may have been right... IDK.  I don't follow Green Bay so I don't know the makeup of their roster.  But it was easy to smash McCarthy's reputation from all the reports before and after he was let go by the Packers.  Yet it's obvious his agent did some great PR work.  Did you see those interviews he gave about "How involved he's been in year off since he was fired?"  That just waxed this build up slide of McCarthy goodwill that lead up to the offseason coaching carousel.  Wouldn't be surprised if the agent was setting up McCarthy to get the job that he was certain, his other client, Garett was going to lose.  Talk about not losing your percentage!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

McCarthy got fired from Green Bay for a reason. I wonder if the Packers want him back? Oh wait - GB had a great season with a new coach - go figure.

Mccarthy’s relationship with his QB was beyond repair. I don’t blame MM. The QB doesn’t even get along with his own family. In the end coaches are easier to find than QBs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

People Deify Rodgers... He was considered the best QB skills wise for  number of years.  Everybody was like "Gee.  Why has he only won ONE SB?!"  Which may have been right... IDK.  I don't follow Green Bay so I don't know the makeup of their roster.  But it was easy to smash McCarthy's reputation from all the reports before and after he was let go by the Packers.  Yet it's obvious his agent did some great PR work.  Did you see those interviews he gave about "How involved he's been in year off since he was fired?"  That just waxed this build up slide of McCarthy goodwill that lead up to the offseason coaching carousel.  Wouldn't be surprised if the agent was setting up McCarthy to get the job that he was certain, his other client, Garett was going to lose.  Talk about not losing your percentage!

Rodgers from a pure talent perspective, is the best ever IMO but that guarantees you nothing in this sport.  He also seems like an impossible person to work with so who knows what was going on behind doors.  We do know that McCarthy would call plays that Rodgers wouldnt run and they basically couldnt work together so how much of this was McCarthy is an idiot vs. Rodgers is unbearable?  This is the same guy who moved on from Brett Favre, handled that whole situation and transitioned to Rodgers, which I would imagine isnt exactly a walk in the park.  

IDK - dont really care, just always thought the case against McCarthy being that his 1 SuperBowl wasnt enough was weak.  Again, the list of HC's who had all time greats and the same fact applies is pretty long.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The problem in GB wasn't a lack of willingness to run the ball.  It was not having a RB to run with until Aaron Jones came onto the scene.  The biggest mistake McCarthy made was not unleashing Jones much sooner.  Jones wasn't a good pass blocker so he used Jamaal Williams for far too many snaps.  

The least important piece of a good running game, is the running back.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Cousins, who I wanted to sign, has another great year and wins a big playoff game on the road with some great throws late and in OT.

2. Watson, who I wanted to draft over Adams, wins a playoff game with a spectacular personal play and pass late.

3. McCarthy, who I wanted to hire over Gase, interviewed by literally everyone so far and is the first choice of the Dallas Cowboys.

4. Gase, who I doubted from day 1, finished with the 32nd ranked Offense in the NFL.  As expected.

5. The Jets O-line, which I screamed for ages was being problematically ignored and was a huge problem, was the worst O-line in the NFL this year.

Nice to have some validation.

Warfish for Prez. Jamal is #NotMyPresident

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Jones will be 78 years old early next season.  You think he's waiting around for an 'up and comer.'  His window is short, this is predictable.

greece looks GIF

This is not at you.

I searched the gif option here for Leon Hess, nothing came up. Searched for Dick Kotite, that is what came up.

The buck stops here lol.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

The talk is that McCarthy will call his own plays, so Moore might still end up leaving Dallas because he feels emasculated by McCarthy.

Well.  He already interviewed for the job apparently.  So he must be setting up plan B at other schools and NFL teams if it doesn't work out.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Exactly.

Sean Payton only got 1 with Brees.  

Holmgren only got 1 with Farve.  

Gibbs only got 1 with Doug Williams...   and 1 with Joe Theisman..... and 1 with Mark Rypien.   Ok, never mind, he did pretty good.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In theory, yes.  In practice, there are a lot of slug RB's out there.  Jamaal Williams is one of them.

True, but its a lot easier to find a RB that can do ok than it is to find 5 guys on Oline and a blocking scheme that works for them

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Jerry Jones likes tired, old retread Head Coaches and has no patience for newbs.  Remember, his last full-blown top-to-bottom HC search resulting in hiring Wade Phillips as HC for the Cowboys.

Garrett had been a coach for three years (QB coach, OC) before Jones promoted Garrett to head coach and then kept him for twelve years. What team has ever shown more patience with a new coach?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Adam Gase is an offensive coach.

Where did the jets rank in offense this year?

It is mind boggling that some jet fans give gase credit for Gregg Williams dragging his ass to a 7-9 record

defense has lack of talent and injuries and is more than respectable.

Offense has lack of talent and injuries and is dead friggin last in the league with an offensive guur as coach.

Adam Gase is the HEAD COACH.  I really don't think anybody around here gives this guy enough credit. The entire season was an uphill battle and from his very first press conference, he has taken a Relentless bashing from the fans and media.

Both Gase and Greg Williams did a fantastic job this year in my opinion. And do not forget that the amount of injuries and illnesses, players being put on injured reserve was unprecedented.

I personally like our head coach. I like his style. I like how he handles the media. I like that he's smug. I like that he snorts Coke and eats pizza every night and is a complete dick. I like that he wears a hat to cover his crazy eyes.

Most of all I like that he had a few flubs like he was slipping on ice throughout the course of the season and came out winning six of the last eight games.

He's H.C. of the N.Y.J. And he obviously doesn't give a flying f*** what anybody thinks about him!  I love it.

I think some of the fans are so busy crapping on this guy that you're not taking a look at what's actually going on. Look how every player on this team responded despite all the adversity ... That is to be accredited to one person. Head coach Adam Gase.

Now do a line and go have a pepperoni slice cuz we'll be in the playoffs next year.  His job is to get wins just like he said. It's not about stats or where the offense ranks or fantasy football it's about coaching the entire team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

12 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Adam Gase is the HEAD COACH.  I really don't think anybody around here gives this guy enough credit. The entire season was an uphill battle and from his very first press conference, he has taken a Relentless bashing from the fans and media.

Both Gase and Greg Williams did a fantastic job this year in my opinion. And do not forget that the amount of injuries and illnesses, players being put on injured reserve was unprecedented.

I personally like our head coach. I like his style. I like how he handles the media. I like that he's smug. I like that he snorts Coke and eats pizza every night and is a complete dick. I like that he wears a hat to cover his crazy eyes.

Most of all I like that he had a few flubs like he was slipping on ice throughout the course of the season and came out winning six of the last eight games.

He's H.C. of the N.Y.J. And he obviously doesn't give a flying f*** what anybody thinks about him!  I love it.

I think some of the fans are so busy crapping on this guy that you're not taking a look at what's actually going on. Look how every player on this team responded despite all the adversity ... That is to be accredited to one person. Head coach Adam Gase.

Now do a line and go have a pepperoni slice cuz we'll be in the playoffs next year.  His job is to get wins just like he said. It's not about stats or where the offense ranks or fantasy football it's about coaching the entire team.

Adam Gase had almost nothing to do with the defense, it was all Gregg Williams show.

Gase, like our last two coaches is a coordinator and a head coach in name only.

Saying Gase did a great job when we have the last ranked offense in the league is laughable.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2