Tua announcement (How it affects the draft)

JTJet

If he comes out then he's trying to grab $$ and knows that now is his only shot.

If he goes back to Alabama then he's betting on himself and thinks he should be something like the 1st or 2nd pick in the Draft and won't accept going somewhere outside the Top 5 or 10 this year just due to injury.

Those are my thoughts.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

If he comes out then he's trying to grab $$ and knows that now is his only shot.

If he goes back to Alabama then he's betting on himself and thinks he should be something like the 1st or 2nd pick in the Draft and won't accept going somewhere outside the Top 5 or 10 this year just due to injury.

Those are my thoughts.

I think he still a lock top 10 pick, injury or not. 

Some team is going to trade up for him if he slips out of top 5, I can easily see the Raiders doing this to start off their era in Vegas. 

• Upvote 1

Do we know his rehab status?

Will he be able to do anything at the Combine or will he just go through medicals and stuff prior to the April Draft?

If anything, maybe this declaration means his rehab is on track and he's confident he'll be cleared, evaluated well, and plans to throw prior to April???

Will he be able to do anything at the Combine or will he just go through medicals and stuff prior to the April Draft?

If anything, maybe this declaration means his rehab is on track and he's confident he'll be cleared, evaluated well, and plans to throw prior to April???

I bet he throws at the combine but doesnt do many other drills. 

• Upvote 3

I thought I remember reading he would be fine for camp for any team who is drafting him and be ready for Week 1

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Good news for us.

Was thinking the same thing, but it's kinda good news for every team, right?  Especially teams that really need a QB like Miami, San Diego, etc.

But I agree....this could either push an OT or WR down to the Jets if Tua goes in the first 10 picks, or it could give the Jets a bargaining chip to trade back if Tua is there at #11.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Nothing. 

Gurley type draft circuit. Interviews and doctors. 

Just now, Paradis said:

Nothing. 

I have to believe if Gurley can come back from a gruesome ACL injury as a RB and truck people in the pros, Tua can come back from a hip injury and be fine. 

We have seen stranger things happen in sports. 

• Upvote 1

So.....now it is 8 players (pretty much) guaranteed to be drafted ahead of us.  In no particular order:

1. Burrow QB
  2. Tua QB
  3. Another QB (Herbert, Eason, or Love)
  4. A WR (Jeudy or Lamb)
  5. Thomas OL
  6. Brown DL
  7. Young Edge
  8. Okudah CB

Pretty much guaranteed to get either the #2 OL or the #2 WR

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Nothing. 

That's risky for him IMO.

Would you hitch your franchise to a QB coming off a major injury who doesn't demonstrate that he can run, pass and play again at a high level?  At a minimum I think he needs to clear all medicals AND run and throw at a Pro Day or on-campus workout in front of scouts.  Nobody is taking him in the Top 10 if the last time they saw him move was 5 minutes before he was carted off a football field.

Tua decision makes the push for Herbert/Eason/whoever more competitive. 

Tua will go probably top 5, worst case MIA....  hard to see the jets benefiting directly. Herbert likely LAC/CAR targets now... 

Best case for us - other talent gets pushed down. Better OT/WR

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sarge4Tide said:

So.....now it is 8 players (pretty much) guaranteed to be drafted ahead of us.  In no particular order:

1. Burrow QB
  2. Tua QB
  3. Another QB (Herbert, Eason, or Love)
  4. A WR (Jeudy or Lamb)
  5. Thomas OL
  6. Brown DL
  7. Young Edge
  8. Okudah CB

Pretty much guaranteed to get either the #2 OL or the #2 WR

I don't see Herbert going Top 10.  He's the one most hurt by this Tua news.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Jif. Have to agree with you on that one. Think he may be a bit injury prone But he does throw an excellent deep ball 

He's an egg shell and he's been pieced together.  Alabama has legitimately put this kids career and health at serious risk.   The ankle surgery they performed on him (twice if I'm not mistaken) is not even a recognized medical practice and now the hips situation, he should be in a wheelchair or on 2 crutches and he's out there putting weight on it using 1 crutch.  He's a mess, it's Bama's fault and I wouldnt touch him with 40 foot pole. 

I also dont think he's going to be a very good too in the pros even if he was healthy but that's a different story.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

That's risky for him IMO.

Would you hitch your franchise to a QB coming off a major injury

Yes. 100%.

If you believe in the pre-injury Tua, then you believe in a Drew Brees caliber QB prospect. So long as medicals are clean (and they must be trending in that direction if he declared) then absolutely you take him. The Draft circuit (outside of the Senior bowl) isn't as big of a deal for QBs... 

The upside is a million times higher than spending your first on another D linemen, cornerback, etc.. which teams gamble on annually. Look at us. 

• Upvote 2