Tua announcement (How it affects the draft)

JTJet

1 minute ago, JiF said:

He's an egg shell and he's been pieced together.  Alabama has legitimately put this kids career and health at serious risk.   The ankle surgery they performed on him (twice if I'm not mistaken) is not even a recognized medical practice and now the hips situation, he should be in a wheelchair or on 2 crutches and he's out there putting weight on it using 1 crutch.  He's a mess, it's Bama's fault and I wouldnt touch him with 40 foot pole. 

I also dont think he's going to be a very good too in the pros even if he was healthy but that's a different story.

i agree, i never thought he was that good of a prospect when you take away all the talent around him.  but hey, we're not drafting him.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Tua decision makes the push for Herbert/Eason/whoever more competitive. 

Tua will go probably top 5, worst case MIA....  hard to see the jets benefiting directly. Herbert likely LAC/CAR targets now... 

Best case for us - other talent gets pushed down. Better OT/WR

I think 3 QBs go in the top third of the draft. This is great news for us. 

The 3 teams after us all may need QBs depending on FA, Vegas, Indy, and Tampa.

Could cause teams to want to trade with us and give up a haul. Pray Tua slips to us.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i agree, i never thought he was that good of a prospect when you take away all the talent around him.  but hey, we're not drafting him.

If only Mac felt this way about Q Williams...  sigh. 

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I have to believe if Gurley can come back from a gruesome ACL injury as a RB and truck people in the pros, Tua can come back from a hip injury and be fine. 

We have seen stranger things happen in sports. 

Same injury ruined Bo Jackson but medicine has come a long way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

I think 3 QBs go in the top third of the draft. This is great news for us. 

The 3 teams after us all may need QBs depending on FA, Vegas, Indy, and Tampa.

Could cause teams to want to trade with us and give up a haul. Pray Tua slips to us.

Wish i shared your optimism... There's too many QB hungry teams in the top 10 to expect one to fall to us for a trade back... think that ship sailed when we beat scrubs in PIT and BUF... 

IMO; best spin on this is LAMB/WILLS/WIRFS chances of sliding go up. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Either way, stay or go, discuss. 

This is a win-win for us since if Tua is selected before us it pushes other OL/WRs down that we can get, and if he falls to our slot at 11 there are 3 teams right behind us Raiders, Colts, Bucs, that may be willing to trade up and take Tua to allow him to work in slow enough with his injury since they can start off with the QBs they have now, but obviously would like to upgrade over them. Nobody can tell me you would not want to upgrade Carr, Brisset, or Winston since none are short or long term playoff type QBs from what anyone would see. They are all stop gaps at this point.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/tua-tagovailoa-to-enter-2020-nfl-draft/

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Really, you think his pro-caliber accuracy, touch and timing were all a mirage created by surrounding talent?

I disagree... and i'm guessing he winds up in MIA, so we'll see first hand how much the Saban-empire had to do with it. 

• Upvote 1

Wish i shared your optimism... There's too many QB hungry teams in the top 10 to expect one to fall to us for a trade back... think that ship sailed when we beat scrubs in PIT and BUF... 

IMO; best spin on this is LAMB/WILLS/WIRFS chances of sliding go up. 

if douglas traded adams, with the qbs going before the jets pick i think they could get cee dee at 11 and then still get a good OT with the pick from an adams trade.  

Just now, Paradis said:

Really, you think his pro-caliber accuracy, touch and timing were all a mirage created by surrounding talent?

I disagree... and i'm guessing he winds up in MIA, so we'll see first hand how much the Saban-empire had to do with it. 

how he would perform with less than all star talent around him still remains to be seen, though it's possible he is the real deal.  i just never bought into the hype. 

and i think he's a bit small and definitely injury prone.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

how he would perform with less than all star talent around him still remains to be seen, though it's possible he is the real deal.  i just never bought into the hype. 

and i think he's a bit small and definitely injury prone.  

He could be one of those all or nothing prospects... I think he'll be legit franchise QB, but if he doesn't pan out b/c of injury or maybe he just can't hack it under pressure -- it'll be a burning ship off the coast me thinks. 

7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Same injury ruined Bo Jackson but medicine has come a long way.

Yes and no. Bo's injury is misunderstood. Ton of advancements on hip surgeries but not a ton on what did him in. Yes it was a dislocated hip but Jackson was a ticking time-bomb anyways because he had a bone disease that made recovery almost impossible. No idea what the deal is with Tua's body but as long as he doesn't have that same bone disease the hip should be fine.

That said two major injuries before he has even stepped on a NFL field is hella concerning. I wouldn't be so quick to assign him a high first round grade until he gets through all the medicals.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

As he should. 

Risks everything by returning, loses nothing by declaring. 

It's a risk if he thinks he'd be a top three pick without the injury. Mayfield signed a $32M deal, Darnold $30M, Rosen, at #10, $17M. That's a lot of guaranteed money he's potentially forfeiting. 

He could be one of those all or nothing prospects... I think he'll be legit franchise QB, but if he doesn't pan out b/c of injury or maybe he just can't hack it under pressure -- it'll be a burning ship off the coast me thinks. 

with a lot of prospects you're a 'yes' or 'no' regardless of the other point of view.  i was always a darnold guy and a mayfield guy heading into the draft.  i'm not a tua guy.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

As he should. 

Risks everything by returning, loses nothing by declaring. 

He really couldn’t go back.  He wasn’t going to be able to get a loss of value insurance policy given his past injuries.  Once that was decided there was no reason to go back.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I wonder if a QB needy team like the Chargers or maybe the Panthers/Raiders might take a shot on a guy like Mariota via trade vs. looking to draft one?

My worry about Marcus is that he's gun shy now.  Saw him play for Oregon for years and he was fearless.  But once he got through that meat grinder of OL ghe Titans had times, he's been a changed player. The injuries just really affects him psychologically.  If the Panthers get him at peak level effectiveness... with CMac they would put up ridiculous numbers.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

My worry about Marcus is that hes gun shy now.  Saw him play for Oregon for years and he was fearless.  But once he got through that meat grinder of OL ghe Titans had times, hes been a changed player. The injuries just really affects him psychologically.  If the Panthers get him at peak level effectiveness... with Cmac they would put up ridiculous numbers.

I don’t think Marcus was ever “fearless” at Oregon, in fact one of his biggest negatives coming out of college IMO was the lack of tight window throws and waiting for guys to get open.   I think that was just magnified when he got the NFL.  I remember contrasting him and Winston in that regard as the two were total opposites in being “fearless” throwing the ball.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think Marcus was ever “fearless” at Oregon, in fact one of his biggest negatives coming out of college IMO was the lack of tight window throws and waiting for guys to get open.   I think that was just magnified when he got the NFL.  I remember contrasting him and Winston in that regard as the two were total opposites in being “fearless” throwing the ball.  

He had great skill position players at Oregon... he didn't have great SEC caliber lineman.  And we asked Marcus to run the ball... a lot.  His athleticism worked for him and he was able to get by with it on the West Coast.  Got to the next level and literally went down hill once he broke his leg... I mean, you look at his effectiveness and it's downhill from there.  Marcus was a guy who played like he was on a different plane until he got battered.  Funny, Oregon totally changed offensive philosophies and recruiting philosophies since he's left.  It's a different program completely.

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Actually I could see him in Carolina if he doesn't retire.  New Wall St Billionaire owner looking to make a splash...

Maybe, Chargers is more likely. Carolina could be it too... thats interesting... especially if they end up hiring Josh McDaniels... Hmmm... didn't think of that.

53 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I have to believe if Gurley can come back from a gruesome ACL injury as a RB and truck people in the pros, Tua can come back from a hip injury and be fine. 

If it was only a hip injury you might have a point but he's always injured. I mean the guy had ankle surgery three weeks before destroying his hip.

I'm gonna predict a free fall come draft day. The only saving grace for him is the lack of good QB's in this draft.

55 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Was thinking the same thing, but it's kinda good news for every team, right?  Especially teams that really need a QB like Miami, San Diego, etc.

But I agree....this could either push an OT or WR down to the Jets if Tua goes in the first 10 picks, or it could give the Jets a bargaining chip to trade back if Tua is there at #11.

Is Jalen Hurts, after this seasons results, a top 10 QB?

55 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

So.....now it is 8 players (pretty much) guaranteed to be drafted ahead of us.  In no particular order:

1. Burrow QB
  2. Tua QB
  3. Another QB (Herbert, Eason, or Love)
  4. A WR (Jeudy or Lamb)
  5. Thomas OL
  6. Brown DL
  7. Young Edge
  8. Okudah CB

Pretty much guaranteed to get either the #2 OL or the #2 WR

The only QB on that list that I would guarantee going ahead of us is Burrow. Hopefully more go but I could see the rest falling somewhat.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think him having eight seconds to throw a pass to the best group of WR's I've ever seen in college might have something to do with it.

23 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Actually I could see him in Carolina if he doesn't retire.  New Wall St Billionaire owner looking to make a splash...

He isn't going to retire, he said, wants to play to age 45. He is a FA if it doesn't work out in NE supposedly he may go to LA, apparently tix sales are not happening for the Chargers they share the stadium with the Rams. Just speculation obviously. F- Brady.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.