Jump to content
nycdan

Small reward for picking 11th in the draft

Recommended Posts

Again, OL or WR. There are 3 OL at least to be picked high, not sure if any will get past the top 10 and fall to us, but that would be my first preference and then maybe get the WR in round 2 since this is a deeper draft at WR then it is at OL.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

We are gonna get a very good player at 11. Somebody always falls that you don’t expect to

Agreed. 11 could end up being a sweet spot. I’d really like to end up with another pick before April rolls around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Again, OL or WR. There are 3 OL at least to be picked high, not sure if any will get past the top 10 and fall to us, but that would be my first preference and then maybe get the WR in round 2 since this is a deeper draft at WR then it is at OL.

The current consensus is that there are 5 players who would be very valuable to the Jets (WRs Lamb and Jeudy, OTs Wirfs, Thomas, Wills).  There are even a few more palatable guys after that who would only be a minor reach (ex. Tee Higgins, maybe Austin Jackson, Henry Ruggs).  The Jets will have options and won't be stuck in No Man's land without a draftable prospect on the Board.

Only thing I'll push back on in your statement is the very last part.  WR may be deeper but it really isn't by much IMO.  There are a lot of Tier 2 and Tier 3 OTs in this draft.  Guys like Becton, Jackson, Prince Wanogho, Josh Jones, Trey Adams....they are the same caliber of OT as guys like WRs Justin Jefferson, Michael Pittman, etc.  JMHO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jet fans have to be prepared for the top 3 OTs to be gone, Jeudy and Lamb to be gone and the Jets to be staring at Epenesa as the top prospect on the board at a position of need. Dude is a beast and once all is said and done I would not be completely against drafting him if we committed to addressing the offense in Rd. 2 and 3. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Jet fans have to be prepared for the top 3 OTs to be gone, Jeudy and Lamb to be gone and the Jets to be staring at Epenesa as the top prospect on the board at a position of need. Dude is a beast and once all is said and done I would not be completely against drafting him if we committed to addressing the offense in Rd. 2 and 3. 

If the Jets don't draft an OL or a WR in the first round, this board with collapse the internet.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't trade Adams. and for the love of god, don't draft another defensive tackle aka best player in the draft.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Jet fans have to be prepared for the top 3 OTs to be gone, Jeudy and Lamb to be gone and the Jets to be staring at Epenesa as the top prospect on the board at a position of need. Dude is a beast and once all is said and done I would not be completely against drafting him if we committed to addressing the offense in Rd. 2 and 3. 

I don't disagree with this. Just wishing for the QB hype to be in full affect come draft and some teams trading up for a 2nd tier Qbs on the rise (if any)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be disappointed if we took a WR at 11.

The need at OL and WR is not the same. It's not even in the same ball park.

Improving the OL will make whatever WRs we have better. We need to build from the inside out on offense. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The fifth year option on players selected outside the top-10 picks in the first round is quite a bit lower than the top-10.  From nfl.com:

So if we happen to draft a player worth keeping around for that long, and we do end up using the fifth-year option, it will be substantially cheaper than the player drafted immediately ahead of us.  Even if we don't use the option, it gives the team a bit more leverage in contact extensions.  

Let the wild rumpus begin!

All the more reason to use this pick on a high-dollar position. But that leverage only exists if the new GM is proactive enough to ink these new extensions before the players' dollars get up there, and any incentive to take a little less is gone.  

Then again it's not known if this system/calculation will return as-is under a new CBA that starts in 2021 (though it seems likely, as there isn't a lot of uproar over it except maybe for RBs picked #11-32).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

All the more reason to use this pick on a high-dollar position. But that leverage only exists if the new GM is proactive enough to ink these new extensions before the players' dollars get up there, and any incentive to take a little less is gone.  

Then again it's not known if this system/calculation will return as-is under a new CBA that starts in 2021 (though it seems likely, as there isn't a lot of uproar over it except maybe for RBs picked #11-32).

Agreed.  I think OT and WR are both big-money positions though so hopefully we are good there.  Also, even if the CBA changes, I don't know if it is retroactive to contracts signed under the previous (current) CBA so we should be fine regardless.

In any case, drafting a good player would be a good place to start, unfamiliar as that might be :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly wouldn't even question Joe Douglass if all of draft picks were OL. Haha

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I don't disagree with this. Just wishing for the QB hype to be in full affect come draft and some teams trading up for a 2nd tier Qbs on the rise (if any)

No, I truly believe one of Wirfs, Wills, A.Thomas, Jeudy or Lamb will somehow fall to the Jets at 11. I'm thinking right now it will come down to Wirfs or Wills and it will just depend on who the Browns prefer b/c I think they will take one of them. I still believe A.Thomas will go in the top 5, probably to the Giants. If I were to guess I'd say the Jets end up with Wirfs. If he is gone too, probably Lamb. Epenesa or Fulton would be the obvious fallbacks. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

We are gonna get a very good player at 11. Somebody always falls that you don’t expect to

As long as it is not the dreaded “best player in the draft” we should be ok!

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agreed. 11 could end up being a sweet spot. I’d really like to end up with another pick before April rolls around.

What would be your favorite way to acquire said pick if you had your druthers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barkus said:

As long as it is not the dreaded “best player in the draft” we should be ok!

That’s not a bad strategy though. The issue we’ve had here execution on the strategy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say we trade him now before his contract is up and he walks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Who do you rather have amari cooper or Nelson agholor

I dont want either, especially considering the salary they will command.  I think Laviska Shenault will turn out to be the best WR in this draft and he should be available at 11,  The two best OTs will be gone before 11 and that leaves Austin Jackson who I am not high on and Becton - who is intriguing but certainly not a value pick at 11 as he has a lot to learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

We are gonna get a very good player at 11. Somebody always falls that you don’t expect to

When Macc was the GM good players always fell right past him.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deucebag said:

I dont want either, especially considering the salary they will command.  I think Laviska Shenault will turn out to be the best WR in this draft and he should be available at 11,  The two best OTs will be gone before 11 and that leaves Austin Jackson who I am not high on and Becton - who is intriguing but certainly not a value pick at 11 as he has a lot to learn.

No guy named Laviska Shenault will turn out to be the best.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jets723 said:

We are gonna get a very good player at 11. Somebody always falls that you don’t expect to

There will certainly be very good players available at 11.

I have no idea if we will actually pick any. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nycdan said:

The fifth year option on players selected outside the top-10 picks in the first round is quite a bit lower than the top-10.  From nfl.com:

Gase!

Great job.

SAR I

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jets723 said:

We are gonna get a very good player at 11. Somebody always falls that you don’t expect to

Would be awesome if its Andrew Thomas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jets723 said:

We are gonna get a very good player at 11. Somebody always falls that you don’t expect to

Ya mostly a DL or safety lol.. Well we know Douglas is not the moron MAC was, we aren’t picking BPA, and would grab another DL, or D in general..OL or 2nd WR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jets723 said:

We are gonna get a very good player at 11. Somebody always falls that you don’t expect to

Bingo! We’ve done wonders with players that have fallen in drafts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last 10 years the #11 pick has mainly been OT or CB / DB. One NT (Dontari Poe) and one DE (some guy named Watt) are the exceptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The current consensus is that there are 5 players who would be very valuable to the Jets (WRs Lamb and Jeudy, OTs Wirfs, Thomas, Wills).  There are even a few more palatable guys after that who would only be a minor reach (ex. Tee Higgins, maybe Austin Jackson, Henry Ruggs).  The Jets will have options and won't be stuck in No Man's land without a draftable prospect on the Board.

Only thing I'll push back on in your statement is the very last part.  WR may be deeper but it really isn't by much IMO.  There are a lot of Tier 2 and Tier 3 OTs in this draft.  Guys like Becton, Jackson, Prince Wanogho, Josh Jones, Trey Adams....they are the same caliber of OT as guys like WRs Justin Jefferson, Michael Pittman, etc.  JMHO.

I'd take Claypool in the 2nd if available. Reminds me of Tyrell Owns w/o being a headcase. Strong as an ox, high points the ball, red zone beast and tough to bring down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 1:57 PM, Guilhermezmc said:

Who do you rather have amari cooper or Nelson agholor

Jauan Jennings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...