2020 Draft General Plan - The Warfish Way (as of 1/6/20)

Warfish

i'm not completely sold on trading adams unless it's a really good deal.  imo, at the very least the draft value should be the equivalent of the 6th pick this year.  as for the rest of this mock, can't really fault it.  seriously addresses the oline.  maybe a higher pick should be used for a wr.  i like the size of the listed wr and corner. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm not completely sold on trading adams unless it's a really good deal.  imo, at the very least the draft value should be the equivalent of the 6th pick this year.  as for the rest of this mock, can't really fault it.  seriously addresses the oline.  maybe a higher pick should be used for a wr.  i like the size of the listed wr and corner. 

if you get a 1st plus anything...and get a stud WR or OL. It would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

Warfish I love ya but you don't trade Adams for a center and you don't draft the 2 LSU WRs right after you trade Adams Mr LSU 

Adams is the culture he wins games. 

Wirfs should be gone. I'm not convinced Wills is a LT, value at 11, or fit for Gase zone scheme. 

And by the way if they sign Scherff (who has chronic shoulder injuries) they likely lose the 3rd round comp in 2021 for losing Robby. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

46 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Jets draft sh*tty players for years and rather than pay a guy who becomes an all pro by year 3, we trade him to roll the dice on two players?

The highest-graded Center is as safe a bet as you can get.  Absolutely I'd trade Adams for a quality Center for the next decade PLUS an additional pick (or 2).

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 7

Just my own two cents.  If the team is going to take an approach then build up the offense.  We are probably going to be in a league with two more good QBs soon.  (Brady is eventually washed up) But one team is already good on defense and just going to get better on offense.  And the other has a sh*t ton of picks to build around the potential  top rank QB.  You don't have much time to get Sam some weapons so use this draft to do it.  Otherwise that hole that seems to be opening up in the AFC East will shut tighter than the DMV desk when you don't have ID or proof of address.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

I like the general idea and can get behind most of this.  I have been for trading/not selecting Adams from the start, but I lean towards keeping him right now.  He is changing my mind, but I can totally see the logic in this plan.

My main comment is that I don't think that I don't see us being able to sign Beachum, Shell and Scherff and then draft OT, C and OG in the first 3 rounds.  If we do, we will surely suck elsewhere.  Both of our guys have starting experience.  They are going to cost something.  Scherff will probably command top dollar.  I understand that everybody wants to upgrade the Oline, but IMO this is probably more than we will actually be able to pull off.  

No. Just no. You don't trade the best player on our roster. Certainly not for a center. If I'm trading Adams, I'd better be getting a haul that I cannot say no to. A 1st and a 4th isn't NEARLY in that range. I'm keeping Jamal and I'm finding a center another way...like with our 2nd or one of our 3rd rounders.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I would be more than happy to trade jamal adams i have been calling for it but he is at the total apex of his value we would need a 1st a 2nd a a lower pick or two.  It would have to be a bounty.

I like most of the rest of the plan.

If we get an outside pass rusher a legit one jamals game will suffer but the team will be better.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I'd love this. Don't think Pittman will last till the 4th. Also Jets have 2 3rd round picks. Not 2 4ths. Unless u mean Pittman in the 3rd?

He is saying we also get the 4th rounder for Adams and since Dallas seemed to be dangling a 1st and 3rd we would get a 1st and 4th for sure. I would not like this nor would many of us but we are not in control of it. From what JD had been requesting from Dallas is all I would take. You want Adams, we are trying to convert some of these high picks we had into Olineman off the D, so I would say any deal includes a good starter on the Oline at either T, (preferably LT), G, or C. Don't care what anyone says that they are so valuable since I am giving you an all world defensive player that can play S, CB, LB, and even DE as far as being all over the field.  That's worth more than a few draft picks. It is either worth a starting Olineman and multiple draft pick, or an entire draft in total between this year and next year i.e this years 1-3rd and next years 2 and 4th, etc. I don't care if that sounds unreasonable even if we know we have to play a lot in $ for Adams. There are every few impact players like him and if the price in return is not very high don't move him.

• Post of the Week 2

Thank you!  I've corrected this.

The 2nd #4 was part of my proposed Adams trade (#1 and #4), I completely missed the actual Jets 2nd 3rd Round Pick in 2020.

I have corrcted that, and made a "pick" for the second 4th round pick.

For the "Do Not Trade Adams" folks:

I respect your opinions, even if I personally disagree.

If you like, you can remove the 2nd #1 pick (The Center) and you can remove the Edge prospect picked in Round 4 as well. 

We can start Harrison (who was ok late in 2018 and 2019) or seek a Center in FA and retain Adams, and sub in whomever is BAP Center available at Round #5 instead of picking a Safety.  

The rest of the plan would remain.

We also traded our 7th rounder conditionally for Alex Lewis (have to think those conditions were met).

I think cooler heads prevail and Adam's stays put, which I'd be happy with. But otherwise I'd be real happy with that draft, good job.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Have you been watching the Jets since Mangold declined and retired?

Nick Mangold was a once in a generation center prospect (and he went like 27th) 

it's not clear there's a 1st round center in this draft but if there is it's the kid out of Oklahoma...  Creed Humphrey not the kid from Wisconsin.

Keep in mind Gase doesn't really care about line as much as this board or Joe Douglas. he's going to ask for a WR, given the choice.  

Biadasz feels more like Day 2 - 2nd-3rd round depending on workouts 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Warfish I love ya but you don't trade Adams for a center and you don't draft the 2 LSU WRs right after you trade Adams Mr LSU 

Adams is the culture he wins games. 

Wirfs should be gone. I'm not convinced Wills is a LT, value at 11, or fit for Gase zone scheme. 

And by the way if they sign Scherff (who has chronic shoulder injuries) they likely lose the 3rd round comp in 2021 for losing Robby. 

The most important thing you said here is about scheme fit.. something gms here have chronically ignored for years while the best drafting teams take guys that fit what they’re looking to do in their schemes. Anyone doing mocks need to take this into account when talking about who the jets will draft and sign. 

• Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thank you!  I've corrected this.

The 2nd #4 was part of my proposed Adams trade (#1 and #4), I completely missed the actual Jets 2nd 3rd Round Pick in 2020.

I have corrcted that, and made a "pick" for the second 4th round pick.

For the "Do Not Trade Adams" folks:

I respect your opinions, even if I personally disagree.

If you like, you can remove the 2nd #1 pick (The Center) and you can remove the Edge prospect picked in Round 4 as well. 

We can start Harrison (who was ok late in 2018 and 2019) or seek a Center in FA and retain Adams, and sub in whomever is BAP Center available at Round #5 instead of picking a Safety.  

The rest of the plan would remain.

Biggest Issue I see is that Wirfs and Wills are probably not going to fall to #11... and with Leatherwood going back to Alabama, this makes the pick even more crucial. Do you draft a WR that falls to you Jeudy, Lamb, or do you reach for a project OT like Jones, Becton or Jackson. I think you go with the WR that falls but it sounds like JD is going to go OL first round no matter what.

With so many teams in the league needing OL... I doubt the top 3 OTs fall. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

He is saying we also get the 4th rounder for Adams and since Dallas seemed to be dangling a 1st and 3rd we would get a 1st and 4th for sure. I would not like this nor would many of us but we are not in control of it. From what JD had been requesting from Dallas is all I would take. You want Adams, we are trying to convert some of these high picks we had into Olineman off the D, so I would say any deal includes a good starter on the Oline at either T, (preferably LT), G, or C. Don't care what anyone says that they are so valuable since I am giving you an all world defensive player that can play S, CB, LB, and even DE as far as being all over the field.  That's worth more than a few draft picks. It is either worth a starting Olineman and multiple draft pick, or an entire draft in total between this year and next year i.e this years 1-3rd and next years 2 and 4th, etc. I don't care if that sounds unreasonable even if we know we have to play a lot in $ for Adams. There are every few impact players like him and if the price in return is not very high don't move him.

I understand what he is saying. He edited His original post. Jets have 2 3rd round picks. Our own and the giants.

As far as trading or not trading Jamal I'm pretty indifferent actually. I'd be fine with what ever happens so I'll defer to Douglas and what he thinks is best.

I think Adams is good and deserves to be paid. Just not sure if it's smart for the jets to spend 16 mill a year on a safety.  We have a lot of holes and That money could be better spent elsewhere.  Also getting 2 high draft picks (wouldn't do anything less than a 1st and 3rd)  would be huge in filling those holes. So I'd be fine with trading him.

At the same time If they decide to resign him, I'd be fine with it also. I'm not worried about him getting paid and not playing hard like Wilk did. I would just hope that Douglas can trade down from 11 to try and gain more draft picks.

Also just to note, Jets don't have to pay Adams now. That would be stupid. He has 2 years left when you include the 5th year option.