INTERESTING STATS

TMAC

Prior to the start of the Seattle-Eagles game, they posted an interesting graphic.  None of the top four passing teams was in the playoffs.  All of the top four rushing teams were in the playoffs.  I understand that these stats need to be closely examined, but I wonder if our current HC understands the value of the rushing game.  

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Prior to the start of the Seattle-Eagles game, they posted an interesting graphic.  None of the top four passing teams was in the playoffs.  All of the top four rushing teams were in the playoffs.  I understand that these stats need to be closely examined, but I wonder if our current HC understands the value of the rushing game.  

Partially misleading, I know rushing is lumped into one bucket, but when Allen and Jackson are 2/3rds of their teams rushing and even Wilson is a lot of their teams rushing, that doesn't mean the rushing is as dominant as one would think. Seemed from the eye test the main rushing as far as dominance was the Titans Henry. Even the Vikings believe it or not was as much or more Cousins with close to 250 yards passing than Cook which ran for under 100 yards though he got 2 TDs. No guys this is still a passing league and the teams that are more run oriented will at one poinbt faulter in the playoffs sooner rather than later since you can always put more of a consistent 8+ in the box to fully shutdown any run as opposed to consistently handle passing attacks because if you don't have 2 or more great pass rushers, rushing more than 4 always leaves man coverage and any secondary gets killed more often than not with that since getting to QBs with only 4 is too difficult these days.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Partially misleading, I know rushing is lumped into one bucket, but when Allen and Jackson are 2/3rds of their teams rushing and even Wilson is a lot of their teams rushing, that doesn't mean the rushing is as dominant as one would think. Seemed from the eye test the main rushing as far as dominance was the Titans Henry. Even the Vikings believe it or not was as much or more Cousins with close to 250 yards passing than Cook which ran for under 100 yards though he got 2 TDs. No guys this is still a passing league and the teams that are more run oriented will at one poinbt faulter in the playoffs sooner rather than later since you can always put more of a consistent 8+ in the box to fully shutdown any run as opposed to consistently handle passing attacks because if you don't have 2 or more great pass rushers, rushing more than 4 always leaves man coverage and any secondary gets killed more often than not with that since getting to QBs with only 4 is too difficult these days.

With Jackson it's mostly designed runs though.

• Upvote 1

Bowles was laughed out of the building when he suggested this, but it's really no surprise that as the whole league, defensively, is getting smaller and faster to defend the pass, offenses are adjusting by building OLs and beating them up. I don't expect the pendulum to swing all the way back to the wing formation, but this swing back towards a rushing attack is long overdue. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Not surprised; the great Rex Ryan once said, 2 things that consistently win in Dec and you take on the road anywhere you go are 1.running the Football and 2. Defense.  And he won 4 road playoff games with Mark freaking Sanchez, so he'd know what he's talking about.

Rex said this? Bright dude. 

I hadn't heart this one before. 

The best four quarterbacks - Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, and Rodgers, are in it.

The recent “running the ball is da best” and “we need ground-n-pound” posts are pretty non-sensical. 

The Jets overall team strategy should be to protect Darnold with good blocking and to provide him with as many receiving targets as possible.

Run game and defense are far behind as far as priority. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Not surprised; the great Rex Ryan once said, 2 things that consistently win in Dec and you take on the road anywhere you go are 1.running the Football and 2. Defense.  And he won 4 road playoff games with Mark freaking Sanchez, so he'd know what he's talking about.

Bring Rex back

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The recent “running the ball is da best” and “we need ground-n-pound” posts are pretty non-sensical. 

The Jets overall team strategy should be to protect Darnold with good blocking and to provide him with as many receiving targets as possible.

Agree for the most part @Saul Goodman  we need a RB who can hit the HR a fast flash of lightning out of the backfield, most teams have a 1-2 punch we don't. 

I like Travis Etienne of Clemson. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, slats said:

Bowles was laughed out of the building when he suggested this, but it's really no surprise that as the whole league, defensively, is getting smaller and faster to defend the pass, offenses are adjusting by building OLs and beating them up. I don't expect the pendulum to swing all the way back to the wing formation, but this swing back towards a rushing attack is long overdue. 

1) I agree with this but

2) by dvoa, 2 of top 4 rushing teams in playoffs while 4/4 passing teams.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I care little for Gase. I’m protecting the interests of the franchise 

I dont think Gase is a particularly good coach but he triggers most of the right people and jettisoned the franchise albatross in his first 90 days. 

I'm in his camp for the foreseeable future and not afraid to admit it 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I care little for Gase. I’m protecting the interests of the franchise 

Your chivalry just knocked me off my feet. Can’t wait for either of two things to happen. You eventually can’t take having a maniac coaching the team anymore, apologize for your 2019 rhetoric or I’m dead wrong and Gase is just waiting to release the magic after Douglas builds him a competent roster. Either will do.

Just now, HessStation said:

Your chivalry just knocked me off my feet. Can’t wait for either of two things to happen. You eventually can’t take having a maniac coaching the team anymore, apologize for your 2019 rhetoric or I’m dead wrong and Gase is just waiting to release the magic after Douglas builds him a competent roster. Either will do.

He already released the magic by prying the bespeckled barnacle from CJ's ass

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I dont think Gase is a particularly good coach but he triggers most of the right people and jettisoned the franchise albatross in his first 90 days. 

I'm in his camp for the foreseeable future and not afraid to admit it 

I like Gase for a lot of reasons but missing from those reasons is a belief that he will win a lot of games here and enjoy a long, fruitful Jets coaching career. 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

You’re impossible to please 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I like Gase for a lot of reasons but missing from those reasons is a belief that he will win a lot of games here and enjoy a long, fruitful Jets coaching career. 

Sure but come on, this time last year CJ was calling press conferences professing his unyielding commitment to Mac.

Getting that guy out that quickly is the most significant event in the Jets FO since we stole Parcells from NE over 20 years ago. Buncha ******* ingrates

28 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Absolutely not. Defense will always matter, no matter how hard people try to make it obsolete.

And all 4 of those teams have very good defenses. In fact, the reason why I'm picking Kansas City to win it all is because their defense has finally caught up to their offense. And let's be honest, Aaron Rodgers is decaying before our very eyes, the defense (as well as the improved running game) is what's given Green Bay a ton of success this year

Just now, CTM said:

Sure but come on, this time last year CJ was calling press conferences professing his unyielding commitment to Mac.

Getting that guy out that quickly is the most significant event in the Jets FO since we stole Parcells from NE over 20 years ago. Buncha ******* ingrates

I would build a statue to Gase outside the practice facility for that act alone 

• Upvote 1

Since we are discussing passing............

How many times in the weekend playoff games did we see teams take a chance and throw the deep ball. 

Either the WR made the catch or a few times there was a PI call. 

Maybe my memory is going but how often did the NY Jets do this when playing catch up football or when winning and we needed to put the dagger in. 

14 hours ago, TMAC said:

The league will eventually trend heavily back to the running game because if you can run well and play defense you can shut down any high end passing team. While the game has changed over the years this still holds true and always will.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, slats said:

Yup. I remember when people called Bowles dumb for that statement but the joke is on them because everything in Sports is cyclic....And there’s always teams out there that are willing to “Zag” when everyone else “Zigs”