Expert Mocks Have Gang Green Putting Darnold First

JetNation

helmet.jpg

The NFL playoffs are under way and as one would expect, fans of those teams who didn’t make the cut are scouring through mock drafts to see what those “in the know” are predicting for the Jets.  It does appear that most projections have the Jets using their first round choice on a player that will directly impact Sam Darnold.  Whether it’s a mammoth left tackle or a higly regarded wide receiver, fixing the NFL’s worst offense and continuing to develop their young QB is the theme.  Who has the Jets doing what with the 11th overall pick?

Kristian Dyer, SI.com:  

WR CeeDee Lamb: In his first seven-round mock of the offseason, Dyer has the Jets going with an elite wide receiver.  Lamb is viewed as one of the top receivers in one of the deepest classes in years.  In his final season at Oklahoma, The 6′ 2” lamb hauled in 62 catches for 1,327 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report:

OT Jedrick Wills: Matt Miller has the Jets taking another Alabama product in round 1 with his top graded left tackle in Jedrick Wills.  This is a move that would be lauded by Jets fans as the cries for a re-built offensive line will not have fallen on deaf ears.  A monster left tackle, some prognosticators have Wills gone by the 11th pick.  We shall see.

Steve Serby, NY Post:

WR Jerry Jeudy:  There are plenty of fans who don’t see Jeudy being available at 11, but stranger things have happened.  With Chase Young, Jeff Okudah and Tua Tagovailoa entering the draft, it could push a player like Jeudy down a few spots, giving the Jets a shot at the dynamic pass catcher.  Many felt Jeudy was college football’s best player coming in to this season.

Walter Football:

OT Mekhi Becton: Becton is an absolute monsther at offensive tackle, checking in at 6′ 7” 350 lbs, but he has the footwork of a much smaller man.  This is the highest we’ve seen Becton projected as many have him going in round 2, but the Jets may pull the trigger at 11 if the drafts other top tackles are off the board.

Without a doubt there will be tons of mock drafts over the coming days, weeks and months, with each of them tilted toward the offensive side of the ball.

The post Expert Mocks Have Gang Green Putting Darnold First appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
InAH6g0Lr4M

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JetNation said:

helmet.jpg

The NFL playoffs are under way and as one would expect, fans of those teams who didn’t make the cut are scouring through mock drafts to see what those “in the know” are predicting for the Jets.  It does appear that most projections have the Jets using their first round choice on a player that will directly impact Sam Darnold.  Whether it’s a mammoth left tackle or a higly regarded wide receiver, fixing the NFL’s worst offense and continuing to develop their young QB is the theme.  Who has the Jets doing what with the 11th overall pick?

Kristian Dyer, SI.com:  

WR CeeDee Lamb: In his first seven-round mock of the offseason, Dyer has the Jets going with an elite wide receiver.  Lamb is viewed as one of the top receivers in one of the deepest classes in years.  In his final season at Oklahoma, The 6′ 2” lamb hauled in 62 catches for 1,327 yards and 14 touchdowns.

OT Jedrick Wills: Matt Miller has the Jets taking another Alabama product in round 1 with his top graded left tackle in Jedrick Wills.  This is a move that would be lauded by Jets fans as the cries for a re-built offensive line will not have fallen on deaf ears.  A monster left tackle, some prognosticators have Wills gone by the 11th pick.  We shall see.

Steve Serby, NY Post:

WR Jerry Jeudy:  There are plenty of fans who don’t see Jeudy being available at 11, but stranger things have happened.  With Chase Young, Jeff Okudah and Tua Tagovailoa entering the draft, it could push a player like Jeudy down a few spots, giving the Jets a shot at the dynamic pass catcher.  Many felt Jeudy was college football’s best player coming in to this season.

Walter Football:

OT Mekhi Becton: Becton is an absolute monsther at offensive tackle, checking in at 6′ 7” 350 lbs, but he has the footwork of a much smaller man.  This is the highest we’ve seen Becton projected as many have him going in round 2, but the Jets may pull the trigger at 11 if the drafts other top tackles are off the board.

Without a doubt there will be tons of mock drafts over the coming days, weeks and months, with each of them tilted toward the offensive side of the ball.

The post Expert Mocks Have Gang Green Putting Darnold First appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

InAH6g0Lr4M

Need to see Becton at the Combine.  Don't know if he is quick enough for a left tackle. Didn't play his bowl game and would of loved to see him play against Mississippi S. 

40 minutes ago, JetNation said:

helmet.jpg

Kristian Dyer, SI.com:  

Steve Serby, NY Post:

Walter Football:

InAH6g0Lr4M

Yes, please 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

Jeudy and Lamb should be gone by 11 which is good for the Jets.  I would love either but the OL is a travesty when compared to the WRs.  Becton is a stretch at 11 and is a little on the raw side.  I do like him but if he is the only option maybe we should consider trading back a few spots and try to snag him later in the round.

Becton is a BIG time stretch at 11.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

Jeudy and Lamb should be gone by 11 which is good for the Jets.  I would love either but the OL is a travesty when compared to the WRs.  Becton is a stretch at 11 and is a little on the raw side.  I do like him but if he is the only option maybe we should consider trading back a few spots and try to snag him later in the round.

This is where I think dropping to 11 wasn't too bad. Much easier to trade down the #10-#25 picks then it is for a team to jump into the Top 10 for a non-QB.

Would love to trade back 5-10 spots and pick up some extra draft capital.

• Upvote 2

I want a big WR to help Darnold. We need someone who is physically dominating that can make the hard catches in traffic. Anderson is a good WR but he doesn't match up well with what Darnold can do well. 

Seeing DK Metcalf against the eagles makes me miss Braylon. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Becton is a BIG time stretch at 11.

He's going to fly up the boards. He might be the youngest tackle prospect in the draft and was a three year starter at both RT and LT (he would flip flop during games) and he can move. Can't wait to see what he measures in at......I'm guessing 6'7" and around 360. Just a massive man and he moves extremely well for someone that size. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

He's going to fly up the boards. He might be the youngest tackle prospect in the draft and was a three year starter at both RT and LT (he would flip flop during games) and he can move. Can't wait to see what he measures in at......I'm guessing 6'7" and around 360. Just a massive man and he moves extremely well for someone that size. 

ROB.......do you like him enough to take him at #11, or hoping that he either pushes a better guy down to us or gives us a shot to move down a bit?

1 minute ago, RobR said:

I can see that, but he is generally considered a 2nd round prospect, so I can see him sneaking into the end of the 1st at most but not up to 11 lol.

There are way better players to be had there and and he is essentially the 4th maybe 5th best player at his own position. 

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Yep, I said earlier that I fully expect him to eclipse guys like Austin Jackson and become one of the Top 4 OT’s by draft day.

A dude that big and powerful with the upside to play LT in the NFL isn’t going to last very long. My guess is he ultimately goes in the Top 15.

We’ll see if Douglas values him enough to take him at #11. Because my gut tells me that Thomas, Wirfs and Wills will probably be gone.

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I can see that, but he is generally considered a 2nd round prospect, so I can see him sneaking into the end of the 1st at most but not up to 11 lol.

There are way better players to be had there and and he is essentially the 4th maybe 5th best player at his own position. 

If he becomes a plus starter at right tackle for you for ten years, you can draft him at 11. He better not be Ereck Flowers, however 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

ROB.......do you like him enough to take him at #11, or hoping that he either pushes a better guy down to us or gives us a shot to move down a bit?

At this point I'm not sure because it's tough to find decent tape on him. I managed to find a few decent games and should have time to peruse them tonight.

All I know is that tackles that are that big and can move like that are rare. Throw in a nasty streak and so far I'm a big fan.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It's January 6th. I wouldn't put too much stock into what we are being force fed at this time of year.

Notice how almost every hack out there has all of these players graded around the same. 

1 minute ago, RobR said:

At this point I'm not sure because it's tough to find decent tape on him. I managed to find a few decent games and should have time to peruse them tonight.

All I know is that tackles that are that big and can move like that are rare. Throw in a nasty streak and so far I'm a big fan.

Thanks. Sounds like you're leaning yes.😎

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If he becomes a plus starter at right tackle for you for ten years, you can draft him at 11. He better not be Ereck Flowers, however 

From what I have seen he is not Flowers. I hated Flowers with a passion during his draft year and caught a lot of flak for it. In the end I was proven right.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's January 6th. I wouldn't put too much stock into what we are being force fed at this time of year.

Notice how almost every hack out there has all of these players graded around the same. 

I do agree with that for the most part. He has had a second round grade for awhile though from what I've seen, and I dont think he did much during the season to really change that. 

Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

It would be STUNNING to me if the Jets first round pick is not an OL or WR. 

It would be STUNNING to me if the Jets first round pick is not an OL.

There's plenty of great value in the later rounds for WR. Not so much with OL. Douglas needs to strike at a huge need pick in the early rounds.