Albert Breer on Mike’s show

Breer mentioned something I never heard nor read before today.

when Rhule was being courted by Macc and the Jets last year, the Jets brass wanted Rhule to take on Williams as the defensive coordinator but Breer mentioned that they also wanted Rhule to accept Todd  Monken as the offensive coordinator.

Anyone ever hear this before?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I, too, would not take a job where my boss forces me to manage two guys whose sole qualification is that they could replace me at the first sight of a cheap banner plane with my name on it 

Exactly, I just don’t understand the logic. Macc should then hired the 2 guys and head coached himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I, too, would not take a job where my boss forces me to manage two guys whose sole qualification is that they could replace me at the first sight of a cheap banner plane with my name on it 

Please clarify, the banner itself was cheap or the plane?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

when Rhule was being courted by Macc and the Jets last year, the Jets brass wanted Rhule to take on Williams as the defensive coordinator but Breer mentioned that they also wanted Rhule to accept Todd  Monken as the offensive coordinator.

Yo.

Just so you know.

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

To their almost credit they actually would a put a kick ass staff together. Not sure why they would have needed or wanted Rhule to HC w/ Monkin though. What, to be the face? Would guess Rhule would want to run his own O. Doesn’t make sense but good try losers 

They were basically trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Rhule is an unknown commodity so they wanted his passion coupled with guys who have NFL experience.  I still don't see the problem..  People are acting as if Rhule is some kind of lock to be a great HC.   I don't believe he would have done a much better job managing our JV team especially when you factor in that GW wouldn't have been here.  In fact, his faith-based approach might have had guys rolling their eyes at 1-7 and most of this board calling for his head.

In short...  F Matt Rhule. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pac said:

Rhule is an unknown commodity so they wanted his passion coupled with guys who have NFL experience.  I still don't see the problem..  People are acting as if Rhule is some kind of lock to be a great HC.   I don't believe he would have done a much better job managing our JV team especially when you factor in that GW wouldn't have been here.  In fact, his faith-based approach might have had guys rolling their eyes at 1-7 and most of this board calling for his head.

In short...  F Matt Rhule. 

Nobody is saying Rhule is a sure fire lock to be a great coach. But if you believe somebody is fit to be the head coach of your team, that means you have some faith in him to run that team and need to let him assemble his staff as he sees fit. You should trust in him to bring in the right guys.

Forcing a staff on a head coach is an absolute slap in the face, not to mention you're stepping on his toes. Let him do his job and put his staff together.

All because this organization (just like the fans) are hellbent on coddling Sam Darnold like he's a fragile little creature ?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, King P said:

Nobody is saying Rhule is a sure fire lock to be a great coach. But if you believe somebody is fit to be the head coach of your team, that means you have some faith in him to run that team and need to let him assemble his staff as he sees fit. You should trust in him to bring in the right guys.

Forcing a staff on a head coach is an absolute slap in the face, not to mention you're stepping on his toes. Let him do his job and put his staff together.

All because this organization (just like the fans) are hellbent on coddling Sam Darnold like he's a fragile little creature ?

I think the point is they simply didn't believe in Rhule.  Time will tell if it was the right decision but nothing has happened to make me think it isn't.

Gase will be able to be more accurately judged next year when there is a semblance of continuity.

Hate that he couldn't maximize Bells talents more but I'm willing to see what it looks like with the varsity team in 2020.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

I think the point is they simply didn't believe in Rhule.  Time will tell if it was the right decision but nothing has happened to make me think it isn't.

Gase will be able to be more accurately judged next year when there is a semblance of continuity.

Hate that he couldn't maximize Bells talents more but I'm willing to see what it looks like with the varsity team in 2020.

Well if that's the case, then they're idiots for wasting their time with a guy they didn't believe in to fill their coaching vacancy

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

This mandate during the HC search bottomed out Macc. Period. He was already living on borrowed time, but this was the spark that set the ship on fire...

You can't start telling management (Head Coach) how to run their show and who to hire... that undermines why you believe in him in the first place. If Matt Rhule has shown you he knows how to run a team and build a roster -- why fck with that but handing him your list of demands..

Insane.  

Great point. Seems like CJ was all in on Rhule and Mac tried to grab control by ordering coordinator hires.

Maybe silver lining from this, CJ isn’t as enamored with Gase like we think, and this whole come back for 2020 thing is just because big brother woody said stop doing anything else until I get back. 

A scenario equally as scary...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, King P said:

The Giants are dealing with this scenario right now.  They like Rhule but are concerned he can’t or won’t put together an experienced staff that can properly teach and coach up their younger players.   You don’t want a Freddie Kitchens type that is in over their head and doesn’t have the experience or credibility to keep the team together during hard times.   I don’t think there is another major sport where coaching more impacts overall record.  Look at NE and Belichick-the guy prepares his players so they don’t beat themselves and knows every nuance of the rule book, and it translates into more wins.

If I’m hiring someone who needs assistants, I’d want to feel comfortable that they will make the right hires that will increase their chances of success.  Williams and Gase have put together a good experienced coaching staff and I think that really helped when we had all the injuries.

Conversely, if I’m looking at a job and have options, I’d want trusted loyal assistants that I could lean on and be open with, without fear that they’d be snakes looking to take my job at my first miss step.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Giants and Rhule.

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

Sounds like it....but we would still probably have  Mac running the show.....I doubt Rhule had enough scumbag in him to expose Macagnan and get him canned 

Very true!!!  It would've been a good staff with a bad GM

glad we dodged the bullet, that staff would have made the season worse...

Rhule lost big games, the Big12 and has no NFL experience, Fleck has better results with Minni if you want a college coach

Monken was part of the Brown implosion and Tampa looked better without him - hard pass

GW is the man - Big12 does not know defense but GW does and I am glad he is the DC of the Jets

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

@Paradis sound familiar?  lol Pretty sure I gave you this nugget during the whole process last year. 

Just now, Paradis said:

yes indeed. Sad.... I hate thinking about the Rhule debacle. 

yeah I think we were both in the circle of wanting him here. He was my first choice really once his name surfaced as a serious candidate.  He was literally seconds away from being the guy... 

Serious question though... how would you have felt with Sean ryan being the guy you were trusting to tutor sam darnold going forward.  Especially with names like monken and mccarthy out there. 

I would have to have put my trust in the man on that one. As i was intimating in another post -- if you think Rhule's the guy, then show him... let him do his thing. It's a bit of leap of faith given his shallow resume, but it felt like the right move... like the big first step. 

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I would have to have put my trust in the man on that one. As i was intimating in another post -- if you think Rhule's the guy, then show him... let him do his thing. It's a bit of leap of faith given his shallow resume, but it felt like the right move... like the big first step. 

I get you, i mean im all for letting the coach bring his own guys in... but I kind of understand here in this situation why maybe the organization had some reservations regarding a first time NFL coach hiring a staff with guys that had limited NFL experience.  but again I think we both wanted rhule enough to trust him to do his own thing.  We'll see kinda if it was the right move or not now. 

• Sympathy 1

God forbid the “brass” try and set up a first time head coaches with some solid, experienced coordinators to guide him through coaching in the nfl.

the panthers really messed up giving this fraud of a coach the keys to the castle, as well as paying out the nose for him to ruin the franchise.