RobR

Mekhi Becton OT Louisville

Becton seems like a guy where the Combine will be very important for him.  Everything from his measurements to his quickness, agility tests will factor into whether he's a Top 20 guy or an early 2nd rounder.

• Upvote 1

Can he (should he) shed some weight?  Would he be much better at 345?

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I'm guessing he weighs in around that weight come combine time for agility purposes. In the pros I can still see him playing at 360 because even at that weight he's not fat and he'll just be turning 21 a week before he's drafted. He's a large human being that is agile.

Bill Parcells’ “Planet Theory”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

This kid is as impressive as it gets. He's a leader at the next level with a sky is the limit trajectory.

@jetstream23 2:13 mark he talks about his weight. 

Man. I’m not gonna call it love but I’m starting to fall in deep like with this guy. lol

11 might not be too early after all. 

And 370 lbs during 2018 to playing at 350 in 2019 really seems to have helped. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, maury77 said:

With the week Herbert is having at the Senior Bowl, he’s playing his way into the top 10 (good for us). Remember, Daniel Jones went top 10 in part because he was the Senior Bowl MVP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tua and Herbert are both big X factors in this Draft.  There will be a team that simply can't watch Tua slide towards 10.  They'll move up to get him.  My assumption here, of course, is that all of his medicals come out okay and that he runs and throws at some point prior to the Draft.  That may not be the Combine (I think he's skipping that but might go for the measurements?) but he'll need to run and throw at a Pro Day or something no later than late March / early April so that teams have enough time to evaluate and decide just where they'd be comfortable taking him.

If Burrow, Herbert, Tua all go in the Top 10, along with Chase Young and Jeffrey Okudah then that right there leaves potentially 6 guys (all of whom could be a fit for both value and need with the Jets) of which at least one is mathematically guaranteed to be there at #11.  I'd put up Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton, Jeudy and Lamb as those 6 right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Just read an article on ESPN saying Jags may look QB too. Don't know if you counted them in your 4.

oh-boy-this-is-gonna-be-great.jpg.f567b3015100e4ae5a5d3aa90aaabcbb.jpg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I guess that was the obvious answer, was wondering if we had any other theories out there. Surprising that he can manhandle opposition against Notre Dame and still be “sleeper “material up until recently

Probably because there isn't a vacuum of prospects at OT that would pull him up like Jonah Williams last year.  I think when you already have 2, 3, 4 guys considered Top 15 talents at a position then the media, draft community, etc. isn't really starving to pull other guys up and we don't hear about a guy like Becton.

I like him, he seems huge and fairly nimble, but not overweight or fat for his size.  He seems fairly well proportioned.  I doubt his size and strength will be an issue.  The questions for me will be his technical skills, mirroring ability, understanding of the game and ability to mitigate countermoves, inside spins, etc. Ironically, being so big and tall, one of the things I'd want to make sure can't defeat him is a smaller, speedy pass rusher who can bend and dip under/past him.

If he executes NFL-level OLine drills competently at the Combine then I think that will solidify this guy as a Top 15.  He certainly has things to work on, but he doesn't seem to be a project.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Out of the 4 LT 1st round prospects, he has the highest ceiling and lowest floor.

But I don’t see him as a huge gamble. I really hope he’s there at 11, but come draft time I seriously doubt he will be.

This guy will be a monster.

Good point.  The real question just might be what if he doesn't succeed as a LT?  For some guys who becomes busts they end up out of the league and that turns into a completely wasted Draft pick.  But if Becton's downside is that he has to slide to OG or RT, that could be an acceptable risk to take knowing that his upside is becoming a franchise LT.

This is a fun thread to look back on.  I hope it becomes a classic that we look at fondly in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

before this becomes like a thing

I reverse 180'ed on Becton after the Combine 

I've said many hopeful things about Becton (bet on him 8-1 in Sarge's odds thread)

about 3 days before the draft I posted this 

We shall not let it become a thing. lol

Let the record show that the witness, Bitonti, did in fact recant his testimony and affirm his belief in the defendant, Mehki Becton, as a rare human being whose skillsets are only seen about once every 20-30 years and who should have been drafted before #11.

The witness is excused and the Court shall not allow this thread to be necro'd against him in 20 years when Becton is fitted for a (very large) gold jacket. :P

Facebook Things GIF

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company