RobR

Mekhi Becton OT Louisville

Becton is absolutely gigantic. Pass pro is such a premium right now, technique issues may be magnified in a seemingly solid tackle class. I wonder how he'll be able to perform athletically at that size as well. Could see him sliding but still having a good career.

Really, really curious to see how tackle is approached. Edoga had some ups but more downs and pretty bad downs and is not a Douglas pick. Shell is a FA. Bringing back Beachum as insurance seems viable but regardless the Jets could realistically bring in two tackles from this class. A couple of the guys outside the consensus top 3 seem to project well athletically also which would make sense schematically as well as in terms of trying to solidify the left side.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

This should be filed under Lithfans....This day in history. That was always a great read, maybe you could continue it here.

Also, what a terrible record for so many Olineman going that early with a less than 50% success rate. I never liked that class near as much as I do this one, especially at the OT position.

Pretty sure that was a historically bad draft class overall.

• Like 1

I think kind of similar to what bitonti posted - and I'm not sure he's necessarily wrong. Listed at 370 - that's not within the typical NFL offensive tackle archetype. Even if he played at 350 - people aren't typically sifting through interviews to find that and 350 is huge. Big offensive linemen play at like 330 most of the time. And often guys who don't fit the typical mold get discounted because it's easier than trying to figure out if they're the exception.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jon Ogden is the Becton comp I can imagine for a "best case" but he was closer to 6'9" 340.

6'7" 370 feels ominous from a human anatomy perspective 

guys over 350 often have back issues, joint issues, stamina issues, heart issues, they don't have long careers 

marcus McNeill is probably a fair comp 6'8" 340 even that was "too big" played 82 games total over 5 years 

Orlando Brown 6'8" 344 and his dad was a Pro even he fell to the 3rd round 

If he's off the board by 5 that's awesome news for the Jets, I suspect they want a Josh Jones type   

Trent Brown is another - round 7 though. Combine will be interesting for Becton. I think he has a really, really wide range of outcomes for where he goes in the draft.

Wholeheartedly agree about the suspicion they want a Josh Jones type. Board wants a trade down every year, this year bet Douglas passes on one of the top four tackles to move down and gets killed.

Do think Wirfs round 1 and a Jackson/Jones/Peart/Charles later (who knows where those guys land) could be in play as well bring them in and figure out who between those guys and Edoga plays where.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Larry Allen was arguably the greatest OL who ever lived he played at around 350 his entire career

Larry Allen was also a guard not a tackle.

And Becton could be excellent. I think guys who are different tend to get discounted because NFL decision makers would rather be wrong sticking with typical trends than wrong doing something unusual. Very risk averse sport in that way. But it's very possible I'm wrong and Becton just goes early.

Yeah I think Prince Tega Wanogho's knee is a big problem given how far he fell. Wish him all the best, but I imagine he's not long for the league. 

Looking back at this I do think Becton fell in part because of his unusual size. Also think the Jets will be signing him to a big old contract extension before he hits FA.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company