Mekhi Becton OT Louisville

RobR

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is a fun thread to look back on.  I hope it becomes a classic that we look at fondly in the coming years.

before this becomes like a thing

I reverse 180'ed on Becton after the Combine 

I've said many hopeful things about Becton (bet on him 8-1 in Sarge's odds thread)

about 3 days before the draft I posted this 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

before this becomes like a thing

I reverse 180'ed on Becton after the Combine 

I've said many hopeful things about Becton (bet on him 8-1 in Sarge's odds thread)

about 3 days before the draft I posted this 

We shall not let it become a thing. lol

Let the record show that the witness, Bitonti, did in fact recant his testimony and affirm his belief in the defendant, Mehki Becton, as a rare human being whose skillsets are only seen about once every 20-30 years and who should have been drafted before #11.

The witness is excused and the Court shall not allow this thread to be necro'd against him in 20 years when Becton is fitted for a (very large) gold jacket. :P

Facebook Things GIF

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2020 at 4:44 PM, PepPep said:

These guys always make me nervous. The raw, 'massive human' prospects who are a bit overweight and a bit too slow. However, watching film on this guy he actually moves really well on the field. I like him as a Rd. 2 prospect, but would not be at all surprised if someone took him late in Rd. 1. However, if I had a choice between him and another raw OT prospect in Prince Tega Wanogho, I'd go with Prince. Very different raw prospect in the sense that he has limited experience and is tall and lean rather than bulky. He would need to get stronger once in the NFL. But the guy is a great athlete with great feet and long arms. Strong as a pass blocker and really good in space. I think he is the type of blocker Gase would like because of his ability to move and zone block effectively.   

Wild how so much changes in a few months. Becton and Tega both viewed as ~2nd round prospects. One becomes elite and the other almost goes undrafted. 

48 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Wild how so much changes in a few months. Becton and Tega both viewed as ~2nd round prospects. One becomes elite and the other almost goes undrafted. 

I don't think Becton was ever viewed as a second rounder if you could get the pulse from Front Offices rather than the worthless draft prognosticators. I'd wager a guess that he was on JD's radar when he was in high school like most of them. Some of these scouts go back to eighth grade tape.

Regarding Prince, you'd have to believe his knee issue is severe. He was red flagged at the combine and wasn't allowed too participate. I never watched much film on him so I never gave an opinion on him. Obviously @PepPep liked him but I think he was the only one that digged deeper on him and watched tape.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I think Prince Tega Wanogho's knee is a big problem given how far he fell. Wish him all the best, but I imagine he's not long for the league. 

Looking back at this I do think Becton fell in part because of his unusual size. Also think the Jets will be signing him to a big old contract extension before he hits FA.

• Upvote 1

Here is Becton against Clemson and it shows every pass set with multiple angles on every play. Look at how quick he moves his feet and how fast he is off of the snap @choon328. '

If you planted a 305lb. body on top of those feet with 34" arms I'd be excited. Instead we got almost 6'8", arms pushing 36", and 360 lbs. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't think Becton was ever viewed as a second rounder if you could get the pulse from Front Offices rather than the worthless draft prognosticators. I'd wager a guess that he was on JD's radar when he was in high school like most of them. Some of these scouts go back to eighth grade tape.

Regarding Prince, you'd have to believe his knee issue is severe. He was red flagged at the combine and wasn't allowed too participate. I never watched much film on him so I never gave an opinion on him. Obviously @PepPep liked him but I think he was the only one that digged deeper on him and watched tape.

Maybe not the right thread for this but have you taken a look at Cam Clark at all? Curious to see your thoughts on him, and apologies if you’ve already stated them somewhere.

9 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Maybe not the right thread for this but have you taken a look at Cam Clark at all? Curious to see your thoughts on him, and apologies if you’ve already stated them somewhere.

I didn't get the chance to watch him because it's incredibly hard trying to find film on a small school prospect. 

14 hours ago, PS17 said:

You gotta think it was the injury. Assuming he was healthy I'd be happy with Prince in Rd. 2. But yeah, I'll admit, I definitely was sold on the hype leading up to the draft on Becton as a legit first rounder.

On the other hand, you look at a guy like Thomas who most of the year was easily the top OT prospect in the draft, with all the noise about him sliding to the Jets and possibly even sliding to the late teens, ends up going top 5 and the first OT going off the board. With Thomas, in the end, nothing changed. LOL.  

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We shall not let it become a thing. lol

Let the record show that the witness, Bitonti, did in fact recant his testimony and affirm his belief in the defendant, Mehki Becton, as a rare human being whose skillsets are only seen about once every 20-30 years and who should have been drafted before #11.

The witness is excused and the Court shall not allow this thread to be necro'd against him in 20 years when Becton is fitted for a (very large) gold jacket. :P

Facebook Things GIF

thank christ 

i've been in need of a good bird lawyer for years 

where were you 20 years ago when the Jets drafted Drob? 

• Haha 1