JD Hints Bell and Adams will be back in 20

Joe Douglas

New York Jets general manager was on the Michael Kay show. The video appears below and it is worth watching. Some highlights:

• Finished at 6 and 2, what do you make from that since they beat some bad teams? This is the NFL going 6 and 2 is not a fluke. We played better down the stretch. The guys in the locker room and coaching staff kept it all together. No wavering, no backing down.
  • LaGreca: Difficulty getting around the Bengals and Dolphins losses when they did? Those losses hurt, every loss hurts. There is growth in a team, as they mature as they are together more there is no one in this league you can take for granted. Not a single team.
  • Kay: It doesn’t seem like Coach Gase loves Le’Veon Bell? Every time I have seen Adam and Lev together it has been a positive interaction. I haven’t seen anything first hand, all my interactions have been positive. Le’Veon is a very good player. Production of offense as a whole wasn’t good enough, especially early. We value Le’Veon. The competitor the teammate.
  • Jamal Adams:  We had a great conversation after the trading deadline, after the season. That is in the rear view mirror. He’s an unbelievable player and we are excited that he is a Jet.
  • Contract extension for Jamal? We are happy Jamal is here, I am not going to get into contract specifics.
  • Sam Darnold, are you comfortable that he is going to progress into the 3rd year? You saw the improvements he made down the stretch. Him growing, putting New England game in rear view mirror and moving forward. Natural leadership skills, guys gravitate and respect him.
  • How far away is this program? Fans are impatient, we are just as impatient. We want to compete for Super Bowls every year but I won’t put a timetable on it. We will work relentlessly. The finish this year, we want it to be a launch pad for next year.
  • Do you believe that Bell bowled a 251 off of the flu? That is hard to believe.

The post Joe Douglas 2020 Vision for the Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mDujePWGFGQ

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

Was on Michael Kay Show yesterday. I listened. Much like his presser, hint after hint Bell and Adams aren't going anywhere. 

A) You could also tell gase and Williams really want Adams back and a mid round 1st doesn't make any sense for a 2 time pro bowler in his prime.

b) with Bell is may be a money thing. Doesn't make sense to eat the money and no other team seems to want to take it on. He was a great team player and can do more with an improved line. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/joe-douglas-le-veon-bell-jamal-adams-1.40333908

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think we should assume both are coming back. 

With that said, Douglas has already made it very clear that if the right deal comes along every player on this team (minus Darnold) can be had if the the price is right. 

And that is the exact stance to have imo. I don't want to see Adams traded by any means, but you can't turn down some sort of Herschel Walker type of thing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Adams won't be traded unless there is a compelling offer (very high first round pick + more).

Why would the Jets trade him for a mid or late 1st round pick? He was the 6th overall pick in the draft and, as a Pro Bowler and first-team All Pro, his value has only gone up since he was drafted.

• Upvote 4

I have been saying for days now that it is obvious that both will be back. 

The Jets brass seems to love Adams and nobody is trading for Bell's contract. 

This can be a positive if they bring the right guys in around them and continue to build a strong locker room. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There's no 50% off sale at the Jets.  If you want to inquire then come to the table with legitimate offers.  IMO Joe is doing exactly what he should be doing.

That quietly brings a level of respect to this organization just by the manner our GM (honestly the representative/extension of our team) does business with other team’s GMs.

I remember reading somewhere last year or the year before that Maccagnan/Jets were rated near the bottom by agents in the negotiation process of contracts.

Maybe JD can change that perception.

• Upvote 1

Bell probably won't be worth it to move. They might get a fourth rounder back, and even that would probably require the Jets to eat a good portion of his contract. If they're gonna have to eat the contract, anyway, may as well keep him on the team. In 2021 there'll be no more guaranteed money left on his deal and just a $4M dead money cap hit. They'll have a lot more flexibility with him then. 

I think the Jets do really appreciate what Jamal Adams brings to the field, but I also think Joe Douglas is actively driving up the market for him. If they'd gotten the right deal at the trade deadline, they'd've taken that deal. Teams around the league either know for certain, or have a very good idea, what the Jets turned down. I'm sure there are many teams who have an interest in Adams and, if they're serious, they'll have to put together a creative package to convince JD to bite - having Adams on the team next year is a fine consolation prize. I think a first this year, a second next year, and a quality starter on the OL would get it done. And I'd be thrilled. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Bell probably won't be worth it to move. They might get a fourth rounder back, and even that would probably require the Jets to eat a good portion of his contract. If they're gonna have to eat the contract, anyway, may as well keep him on the team. In 2021 there'll be no more guaranteed money left on his deal and just a $4M dead money cap hit. They'll have a lot more flexibility with him then. 

I think the Jets do really appreciate what Jamal Adams brings to the field, but I also think Joe Douglas is actively driving up the market for him. If they'd gotten the right deal at the trade deadline, they'd've taken that deal. Teams around the league either know for certain, or have a very good idea, what the Jets turned down. I'm sure there are many teams who have an interest in Adams and, if they're serious, they'll have to put together a creative package to convince JD to bite - having Adams on the team next year is a fine consolation prize. I think a first this year, a second next year, and a quality starter on the OL would get it done. And I'd be thrilled. 

i don't think douglas flat out said that adams will be a jet next year.  that to me was telling.  he can be had if the price is right.

Bell is unmovable.  He is definitely coming back and that is a good thing.  The talent is still very much there... lets improve the line and get a young slasher back to eat up some carries and use Bell as the double threat that he is.

I love Adams and think that he is a special player... but give me a decent 1st, a mid rounder and another piece that can either improve or be used to improve our Offensive Line I will gladly trade the best young safety in football.  This is especially true considering that he will demand the ridiculous salary that he deserves.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Bergen Jet said:

This is especially true considering that he will demand the ridiculous salary that [Adams] deserves.  

This is an important factor. Having the highest paid SS in the league probably isn't the best way to build an NFL team. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

This is an important factor. Having the highest paid SS in the league probably isn't the best way to build an NFL team. 

Definitely.  You can't tie those kind of resources on a SS, no matter how special they are.  The only way that works is if you have control of most of your other key players on rookie/favorable contracts for the next 2-3 years and you can front load Jamal... AND SS is one of the last pieces you need to make a legit SB run or two.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Bergen Jet said:

Definitely.  You can't tie those kind of resources on a SS, no matter how special they are.  The only way that works is if you have control of most of your other key players on rookie/favorable contracts for the next 2-3 years and you can front load Jamal... AND SS is one of the last pieces you need to make a legit SB run or two.

and since that's the case, why are you drafting one so high if you never have any intent to pay him if he's good?  

I don't know what will happen, but I do know if I were the GM and I wanted to trade them, I wouldn't publicly say so this far ahead of the draft or FA.

And if I did want to keep them, I'd probably hint at that.

So either way, he's probably going about it the correct way.

• Upvote 1