JD Hints Bell and Adams will be back in 20

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one has ever paid a Strong Safety $15M before, so we can't say that for sure.  And Jamal might well want even more than that.  

And paying that coin to a SS when you don't have an offense in place around your QB is lunacy.  I'm fine with overpaying some spots AFTER we have a solid OL.  But not a minute before.  

Adams is going to want $90 million

F that

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All of this is gross.  Why not bring Williamson back?  Why give Adams an extension now?  And how exactly are we getting 3 starting quality this OL?

1- because cheaper options have shown starting capability. 

2-because it's cheaper than next year and the capmspace is available. (esp if we dump Williamson) 

3-1FA, 2-draft. 

...gross lol

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

2-because it's cheaper than next year and the capmspace is available. (esp if we dump Williamson) 

3-1FA, 2-draft. 

...gross lol

What do we save if we cut Avery Williamson? $7 million?  Hewitt is as good or better anyway

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, to be honest, it was JD for me all season!

john belushi drinking GIF

I can't stand Jack Daniels (the whiskey, not the former Dwyer HS Coach, hes a solid dude). I LOVE proper Bourbon, Irish Whiskey,  some Scotch, and occasional Canadian.....but I hate JD and Jim Beam. Don't know why, just don't like em. 

1 hour ago, freestater said:

3-1FA, 2-draft. 

...gross lol

1) Williamson was the best player on the defense in 2018.  I like the ILB's behind him on the depth chart.  But there's little reason to let go of Williamson a year early unless we desperately need that cap space.  If we do let him go we need to try to get a pick for him.  

2) It won't be any cheaper.

3) Who in Free Agency?  There are very few likable options out there.  And you're expecting a lot to get TWO immediate starters on the OL.  

All i know right now as of January 7th -- is that I really, really, really want Joe Douglas to be the man, so to speak.  For obvious reasons, i've been very critical of our previous GMs, and I want nothing more than to feel good about the man at the head of the table.

Please be that guy, Joe.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I’m not following you brother.  In one breath, you say, don’t spend in free agency.  But in the other, you expect a rebuilt Oline.  Seeing your stance on FA, that Oline is coming through the draft I would assume, so who are you going to spend money on?  Seems like if it came down to it, you could pay Jamal and build an OL at the same time if that’s your approach.  

Who knows if it will even come down to this but I really don’t see this being remotely hard for a GM worth his salt.  

The only position I'd overspend on, and where there are FA's I like, would be EDGE.  Bud Dupree would be nice.  

Otherwise I only want 2nd and 3rd tier FA's.  And to get a compensatory pick back for Robby.

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

All i know right now as of January 7th -- is that I really, really, really want Joe Douglas to be the man, so to speak.  For obvious reasons, i've been very critical of our previous GMs, and I want nothing more than to feel good about the man at the head of the table.

Please be that guy, Joe.

Basically all our hopes collectively here. For the last decade we’ve unequivocally Known that the various gms were idiots, especially in handling the draft and building a roster. The absence of proof positive is a little bit of a reason to be hopeful. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is like a thread-closing post.  You nailed it.

Joe D. is open for business and won't send a call from another team to voicemail.  But his stance of planning to keep Bell and Adams also communicates to the market that offers need to be realistic and significant.  There's no 50% off sale at the Jets.  If you want to inquire then come to the table with legitimate offers.  IMO Joe is doing exactly what he should be doing.

Contrast this with dumbo last year basically advertising that the pick was for sale In a trade down at the combine. Or that time we told suitors we would release eric decker in a week if we don’t find a trade for him. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Adams won't be traded unless there is a compelling offer (very high first round pick + more).

Why would the Jets trade him for a mid or late 1st round pick? He was the 6th overall pick in the draft and, as a Pro Bowler and first-team All Pro, his value has only gone up since he was drafted.

Except it really hasn’t. We couldn’t get the 6th pick in the draft for him now. That’s how valuable those top picks are, and why if you’re going to turn down trade-down opportunities you’d better land a player that isn’t just good but the type that turns losers into winners. We’ve been losers with Adams, not because he’s not a good player, but because he’s just a safety. 

Downgrading at safety is less important than upgrading at 2 far more important positions (3 positions if we hit on the +more part of a trade, when you also factor in a 1st rounder plus $15MM for another FA). 

It’s not as cut & dry as “he’s a really good player” because of his position and his alleged trade value. 

Truth is if Douglas keeps him it’ll be because no other team was willing to pony up what so many fans claim he’s easily worth. There is a 0% chance we could get a #6 overall pick for him now, which is a high enough pick that could be parlayed into multiple 1st rounders without even dropping out of the top 20 overall. 

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Was on Michael Kay Show yesterday. I listened. Much like his presser, hint after hint Bell and Adams aren't going anywhere. 

A) You could also tell gase and Williams really want Adams back and a mid round 1st doesn't make any sense for a 2 time pro bowler in his prime.

b) with Bell is may be a money thing. Doesn't make sense to eat the money and no other team seems to want to take it on. He was a great team player and can do more with an improved line. 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/joe-douglas-le-veon-bell-jamal-adams-1.40333908

JD is just talking up their value so he can get maximum picks for low impact positions - SS - and a RB w/o an OL. Trade and build a team that's fundamentally (OL) sound before the impact RB and WR are in place.

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Add a rookie RB speed and elusiveness to that backfield for a change of pace and watch the passing game open up. 

I like Travis Etienne and there are a few others in the draft. 

Better yet add a FB that can block, run and catch.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) Williamson was the best player on the defense in 2018.  I like the ILB's behind him on the depth chart.  But there's little reason to let go of Williamson a year early unless we desperately need that cap space.  If we do let him go we need to try to get a pick for him.  

2) It won't be any cheaper.

3) Who in Free Agency?  There are very few likable options out there.  And you're expecting a lot to get TWO immediate starters on the OL.  

1-defense was fine without Williamson. 

2- Yes. It will. 

3- George Fant, Andreus Peat, Cody Whitehair. So, you're plan is to go into the draft without adding any linemen prior? We've tried that strategy. It worked really good. ?

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Please be that guy, Joe.

If he doe's what everybody wants,{including me}], it's because of the availability of those players in this draft. This is the first draft in a while with an abundance of quality O-lineman. lucky Joe.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

JD is just talking up their value so he can get maximum picks for low impact positions - SS - and a RB w/o an OL. Trade and build a team that's fundamentally (OL) sound before the impact RB and WR are in place.

lets revisit this post and see if Adams and Bell are on the opening day roster..

I gurantee they are

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I can't stand Jack Daniels (the whiskey, not the former Dwyer HS Coach, hes a solid dude). I LOVE proper Bourbon, Irish Whiskey,  some Scotch, and occasional Canadian.....but I hate JD and Jim Beam. Don't know why, just don't like em. 

Might have something to do with both tasting like pig swill. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

lets revisit this post and see if Adams and Bell are on the opening day roster..

I gurantee they are

JD is not going to give them away. So it's quite possible they will remain Jets. I hope some team will give fair value and the Jets improve using the draft pick they will receive from a trade.