Rhule to the Panthers!!!

greasyt

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Being able to use your background as a preacher to recruit and motivate 17 year olds is different than going to battle against grown men in the NFL. If you can’t bring a tactical advantage to the game you’re going to get exposed. 

There's zero evidence that Rhule isn't a good tactician.  You're arguing he doesn't, but that doesn't simply make it so.  

His preacher style will be just fine.  Lot's of players in the NFL are Christians.  Lot's of them pray before and after games.  Even if black and white players disagree on a lot of things, most of them are Christians and pray together.  Plus, he's coaching in Charlotte, not NYC.

Using the word "fraud" would imply he's not the real deal.  He seems genuine as a person, and as a coach, you have no basis on which to call him that.  

If you don't like a person of faith wearing that faith on their sleeve, that's another issue entirely we can't discuss here.  But don't simply use that bias to make wild accusations about a coach.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Frauds?  Our last 3 head coaches all have been merely coordinators with no interest on the other side of the ball and very very little talent as a team builder and head coach.  Rex was the best of the three but bowles and gase are over blown coordinators and poor ones at that.

Rex was the ultimate fraud.  Tried to come off as the bumbling happy-go-lucky type, but behind the scenes got GM's fired and exposed himself as a snake.  Hence why he hasn't gotten a job since Buffalo figured out (very quickly) who he is.  

@T0mShane

I love Rhule! He's a leader of men. Completely changed 2 college cultures around. He's also coached both sides of a team offensively and defensively. He's coming to lead not just coach one side of the ball. Already has NFL experience and eats, breathes and sleeps football. We'll see how this plays out but this is one hell of a hire and the dumb ass Jets lost out because they wouldn't let him pick his coaches. Like we do a good job of that anyways!!! :)

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I love Rhule! He's a leader of men. Completely changed 2 college cultures around. He's also coached both sides of a team offensively and defensively. He's coming to lead not just coach one side of the ball. Already has NFL experience and eats, breathes and sleeps football. We'll see how this plays out but this is one hell of a hire and the dumb ass Jets lost out because they wouldn't let him pick his coaches. Like we do a good job of that anyways!!! :)

Thanks for the summary Mrs. Rhule. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's zero evidence that Rhule isn't a good tactician.  You're arguing he doesn't, but that doesn't simply make it so.  

His preacher style will be just fine.  Lot's of players in the NFL are Christians.  Lot's of them pray before and after games.  Even if black and white players disagree on a lot of things, most of them are Christians and pray together.  Plus, he's coaching in Charlotte, not NYC.

Using the word "fraud" would imply he's not the real deal.  He seems genuine as a person, and as a coach, you have no basis on which to call him that.  

If you don't like a person of faith wearing that faith on their sleeve, that's another issue entirely we can't discuss here.  But don't simply use that bias to make wild accusations about a coach.  

But he only got hired because he’s white and there was 50 more qualified non white coaches available. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:06 PM, nico002 said:

This guy is a huge fraud and will be exposed as one of the worst coaches in the leuage next year. You guys realize that before taking the temple job this guys resume highlight was being an assistant OL coach for the Giants.. for one year.

OK, i've sat through a lot of your flip flopping posts, blind homerism, and awkward attempts to be a contrarian... 

But this one i'm going to ensure follows you... I hope you're right. Otherwise we're going to have a long marriage on this site. 

• Sympathy 1

On 1/8/2020 at 6:28 AM, nico002 said:

Being able to use your background as a preacher to recruit and motivate 17 year olds is different than going to battle against grown men in the NFL. If you can’t bring a tactical advantage to the game you’re going to get exposed. 

He took over a 1-11 team, and turned them around in just a few years.  

He did it with players that were there already, his recruits are just starting to see the field now.  Maybe he won't work out, maybe his GM won't get him talent, but he is not a fraud for right now.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:48 PM, IndianaJet said:

Geebus...that seems like a lot.  I'm trying to find a list of NFL head coach salaries and it seems hard to come by.

Anyone know where this would fall in, in terms of the rest of the HCs.  I can't imagine we're paying Gase anything close to this.

It's crazy, most head coaches are scheduled to make less then Quicny E. or  Brian Winters.   One of the most, if not the most important people in the organization makes less than Brian Winters.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nowhere near as inspiring as Herm.

The ultimate preacher/HC

This is why Herm has been great at ASU as a college coach.  It's perfect for him.

I like Rhule as well but only time will tell.  He got some low-hanging fruit at Temple and Baylor, programs in the dumpster and Rhule's motivation, stability and leadership turned them around quickly.  But 19 year old college kids on scholarships are pretty easy to motivate, to instill some fear in, to develop and teach.  NFL players are a different story.  Many of them are already making more money than the coach is and they're under contracts where they don't always feel the need to prove themselves.  You can't motivate a guy in Year 2 of a $35M deal the way you can a college sophomore fighting for a starting spot.  I'm not saying that Rhule can't do it.....I think he can...and obviously David Tepper and his $70M thinks that Rhule can.  But I think Coach Rhule may need to transform himself a bit, or at least channel his motivation through a different approach.  We'll see....

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is why Herm has been great at ASU as a college coach.  It's perfect for him.

I like Rhule as well but only time will tell.  He got some low-hanging fruit at Temple and Baylor, programs in the dumpster and Rhule's motivation, stability and leadership turned them around quickly.  But 19 year old college kids on scholarships are pretty easy to motivate, to instill some fear in, to develop and teach.  NFL players are a different story.  Many of them are already making more money than the coach is and they're under contracts where they don't always feel the need to prove themselves.  You can't motivate a guy in Year 2 of a $35M deal the way you can a college sophomore fighting for a starting spot.  I'm not saying that Rhule can't do it.....I think he can...and obviously David Tepper and his $70M thinks that Rhule can.  But I think Coach Rhule may need to transform himself a bit, or at least channel his motivation through a different approach.  We'll see....

So hard to say with college coaches.  I remember Butch Davis, Erickson, Saban etc all can't miss college  coaches who failed in the NFL because they lost the advantage of being able to recruit who they wanted and rebuild a program and then having a draft and cap to deal with.

Or just not realizing that the NFL life they switched into isn't college and their ability to motivate is compromised by all the things you listed.

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

OK... i've tolerated a lot of your clueless flip flopping posts, blind homerism, and inept attempts to be a contrarian... 

But this one i'm going to ensure follows you... I hope you're right. Otherwise we're going to have a long marriage on this site. 

Wow you’re really an expert on me aren’t you?

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

He took over a 1-11 team, and turned them around in just a few years.  

He did it with players that were there already, his recruits are just starting to see the field now.  Maybe he won't work out, maybe his GM won't get him talent, but he is not a fraud for right now.

He took over a 7 and 6 team and went 1 and 11 in his first year.   Baylor under Briles went 11-2, 11-2, 10-3 before he was fired after a 6 and 0 start the year before Rhule was hired.  They lost their last 5 after he was canned and won the Citrus bowl destroying Boise State. Their record was 7 and 6 the year before Rhule took over.  Rhule went 1 and 11 in his first season there.  

College football is a recruiting game and Texas is a great place to recruit college talent. Texas produces about 70 percent of the top college football recruits in the nation. Rhule did an excellent job.  He will be far more constrained in the NFL when he will be on an even playing field in acquiring talent.  

The reality is he has proven not one thing at the NFL level as a HC.  He's not a fraud but he certainly isn't a proven NFL HC.  He's done a good job at Temple and Baylor.  He's worked for some good staffs and has put together good college staffs.  He is completely unproven as an NFL HC.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

Glad to hear he is out of the SEC. 

I decided that adding this to the Rhule thread was probably a better idea than starting a "Brady to the Panthers" thread.  

As OC? Good luck rolling with a dude that has virtually zero NFL experience 

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I love how smug Nico is being about this lol. Most NFL experienced coaches still fail. Who cares? He’s been in the league before and just coached up one of the absolute BEST passing games i’ve ever seen in my life. I sure wish we would of hired Matt Rhule.

If he’s OC the panthers are going with a combined 0 years of experience coordinating at HC/OC. On top of it all their “GM” /owner is a Financier with ZERO football background. Good luck 

lmao I just read that the panthers hired Phil snow as DC- ANOTHER guy that has ZERO NFL experience 

so let’s recap 

GM - no nfl experience 

HC - no nfl experience 

OC - no nfl experience 

DC - no nfl experience 

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I love how smug Nico is being about this lol. Most NFL experienced coaches still fail. Who cares? He’s been in the league before and just coached up one of the absolute BEST passing games i’ve ever seen in my life. I sure wish we would of hired Matt Rhule.

Joe Brady will be on the fast track as a Head coach candidate over the next few years.

• Upvote 1