Giants hire Joe judge as head coach

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So far the only truly "new" guys to the Head Coaching ranks this year are Joe Judge and Matt Rhule, correct?

McCarthy to the Cowboys and Rivera to the Redskins are basically recycling.

For all the talk of up-and-coming coordinators in the NFL, Judge is the only one so far (depending on what Cleveland does w/McDaniels being a possibility).  Lincoln Riley staying put for another year as well.

Imagine both Judge (ST) and McDaniels (OC) leaving New England.  There wouldn't be any coordinators there given the Belichick was essentially the DC this past season.  It could really start falling apart up in Foxboro if McDaniels leaves and maybe Brady leaves.  I have visions of Belichick alone in a meeting room mumbling to himself.

Jim Schwartz is going to interview in Cleveland.....

I still don't know that I believe McDaniels is ever leaving NE. I think he is just waiting to take over whenever Belichick leaves

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's fun to connect some dots here.  No doubt that if Belichick were to ever leave NE the Giants would be one of, if not the only, likely place he'd go to wrap up his career.  He knows the Maras very well.  Gettleman hiring a guy from BB's staff is almost like a twist of the knife....a cockblock to keep BB from maneuvering his way into the Giants job because we all know....if BB went to the Giants he'd want to run the show and he'd force Gettleman out.

How interesting must the conversation have been between Judge and Belichick?  Bill's 38 year old coordinator, a protege who has been with the Pats for the past 8 years walking into Belichick's office and saying he's been offered the Giants HC job.

Walked into his office to tell him? A Belichick protege?

More likely he wrote "I resign as WRC of NEP" and slipped it under his office door while he was in the bathroom and ran off.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Maybe it's the old Jets Belichick/Parcells model and Judge is the "temporary" HC until Belichick gets himself out of his Pats' contract.

Or, alternatively, maybe the Giants just suck.

I agree only makes sense if this is Bill's pick for head coach as he comes to run the team, but...  position coach to head coach wasn't that done last year with Kitchens :)

• Upvote 2

I see everyone wants to ridicule this hire, but to be honest a good head coach is a leader and manager first. Special teams coaches are ideally suited for this role, and they generally have the added strength of not being focused on one side of the ball and skilled at building systems around the players they have. With a good OC and DC I think a ST guy is among the best hires you can make. Don't be so fast to think that this was the Giants settling or anything like that, this could be a very successful hire. Now it's the Giants so of course I hope it goes down in flames but cant criticize this move IMO.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

and panicking.  seems like there are not a lot of names floating around this year.  and it's also interesting that mcdaniels was not among them.  

little joshy is going to replace the bellichicken.  that's been ordained for quite some time.  as for the patsie coaching tree, vrabel has done pretty well as has obrien.  flores looks like he might not be too bad down in miami.  where did he come from?  so maybe this judge guy isn't a bad hire.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

It's fun to connect some dots here.  No doubt that if Belichick were to ever leave NE the Giants would be one of, if not the only, likely place he'd go to wrap up his career.  He knows the Maras very well.  Gettleman hiring a guy from BB's staff is almost like a twist of the knife....a cockblock to keep BB from maneuvering his way into the Giants job because we all know....if BB went to the Giants he'd want to run the show and he'd force Gettleman out.

How interesting must the conversation have been between Judge and Belichick?  Bill's 38 year old coordinator, a protege who has been with the Pats for the past 8 years walking into Belichick's office and saying he's been offered the Giants HC job.

I think what's more likely is that Gettleman is the senile old coot he has demonstrated himself to be and John Mara lacks basic decision-making capability.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

One of the more curious things about this to me is, why the rush? It's not like teams were lining up to interview Judge for HC. They didn't even want to listen to what anyone else had to say? It reeks of a panic decision after Rhule was scooped up.

because they want to make it SEEM like they chose him over Rhule.  Not that Rhule chose Carolina and they had no other choice.  typical VaGiants...gotta keep up the image.