Jump to content
Darnold Schwarzenegger

Giants hire Joe judge as head coach

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So far the only truly "new" guys to the Head Coaching ranks this year are Joe Judge and Matt Rhule, correct?

McCarthy to the Cowboys and Rivera to the Redskins are basically recycling.

For all the talk of up-and-coming coordinators in the NFL, Judge is the only one so far (depending on what Cleveland does w/McDaniels being a possibility).  Lincoln Riley staying put for another year as well.

Imagine both Judge (ST) and McDaniels (OC) leaving New England.  There wouldn't be any coordinators there given the Belichick was essentially the DC this past season.  It could really start falling apart up in Foxboro if McDaniels leaves and maybe Brady leaves.  I have visions of Belichick alone in a meeting room mumbling to himself.

Jim Schwartz is going to interview in Cleveland.....

I still don't know that I believe McDaniels is ever leaving NE. I think he is just waiting to take over whenever Belichick leaves

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's fun to connect some dots here.  No doubt that if Belichick were to ever leave NE the Giants would be one of, if not the only, likely place he'd go to wrap up his career.  He knows the Maras very well.  Gettleman hiring a guy from BB's staff is almost like a twist of the knife....a cockblock to keep BB from maneuvering his way into the Giants job because we all know....if BB went to the Giants he'd want to run the show and he'd force Gettleman out.

How interesting must the conversation have been between Judge and Belichick?  Bill's 38 year old coordinator, a protege who has been with the Pats for the past 8 years walking into Belichick's office and saying he's been offered the Giants HC job.

Walked into his office to tell him? A Belichick protege?

More likely he wrote "I resign as WRC of NEP" and slipped it under his office door while he was in the bathroom and ran off.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I thought Bill Belichick was taking the Giants job....instead they got his coffee fetcher. Lol 

What a gReAt sauce!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the topic headline

Thought it was a joke

WTF    Has anybody else even considered this guy?   Gettleman is going to spend his last year there as a laughing stock.   

Maybe decent coaches know he is in trouble and wont interview?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giants are doing what the jets did in 1996 when they first hired Belichick then eventually got Parcells 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

But I thought Bill Belichick was taking the Giants job....instead they got his coffee fetcher. Lol 

What a gReAt sauce!

I thought Bill might go there but this is soooo much better lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Giants are doing what the jets did in 1996 when they first hired Belichick then eventually got Parcells 

Please hold your breath while waiting for that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Please hold your breath while waiting for that to happen.

Ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not surprising. the giants have been a rudderless team for the past couple of years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the more curious things about this to me is, why the rush? It's not like teams were lining up to interview Judge for HC. They didn't even want to listen to what anyone else had to say? It reeks of a panic decision after Rhule was scooped up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Maybe it's the old Jets Belichick/Parcells model and Judge is the "temporary" HC until Belichick gets himself out of his Pats' contract.

Or, alternatively, maybe the Giants just suck.

 

I agree only makes sense if this is Bill's pick for head coach as he comes to run the team, but...  position coach to head coach wasn't that done last year with Kitchens :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they wanted the guy that dresses up in robes at Yankee games to set up a similar thing at Met-Life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should hold off on any snide comments.  People also laughed when the Giants drafted Daniel Jones at #6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think we should hold off on any snide comments.  People also laughed when the Giants drafted Daniel Jones at #6.

And Daniel Jones is trash.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see everyone wants to ridicule this hire, but to be honest a good head coach is a leader and manager first. Special teams coaches are ideally suited for this role, and they generally have the added strength of not being focused on one side of the ball and skilled at building systems around the players they have. With a good OC and DC I think a ST guy is among the best hires you can make. Don't be so fast to think that this was the Giants settling or anything like that, this could be a very successful hire. Now it's the Giants so of course I hope it goes down in flames but cant criticize this move IMO.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giants swooped in before Mississippi State could steal him.  Gotta be pumped as a Giants fan.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

and panicking.  seems like there are not a lot of names floating around this year.  and it's also interesting that mcdaniels was not among them.  

little joshy is going to replace the bellichicken.  that's been ordained for quite some time.  as for the patsie coaching tree, vrabel has done pretty well as has obrien.  flores looks like he might not be too bad down in miami.  where did he come from?  so maybe this judge guy isn't a bad hire.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

It's fun to connect some dots here.  No doubt that if Belichick were to ever leave NE the Giants would be one of, if not the only, likely place he'd go to wrap up his career.  He knows the Maras very well.  Gettleman hiring a guy from BB's staff is almost like a twist of the knife....a cockblock to keep BB from maneuvering his way into the Giants job because we all know....if BB went to the Giants he'd want to run the show and he'd force Gettleman out.

How interesting must the conversation have been between Judge and Belichick?  Bill's 38 year old coordinator, a protege who has been with the Pats for the past 8 years walking into Belichick's office and saying he's been offered the Giants HC job.

I think what's more likely is that Gettleman is the senile old coot he has demonstrated himself to be and John Mara lacks basic decision-making capability.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

One of the more curious things about this to me is, why the rush? It's not like teams were lining up to interview Judge for HC. They didn't even want to listen to what anyone else had to say? It reeks of a panic decision after Rhule was scooped up.

because they want to make it SEEM like they chose him over Rhule.  Not that Rhule chose Carolina and they had no other choice.  typical VaGiants...gotta keep up the image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...