Giants hire Joe judge as head coach

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

One of the more curious things about this to me is, why the rush? It's not like teams were lining up to interview Judge for HC. They didn't even want to listen to what anyone else had to say? It reeks of a panic decision after Rhule was scooped up.

Trying to act like Rhule didnt leave them at the altar and Judge was their guy the whole time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I see everyone wants to ridicule this hire, but to be honest a good head coach is a leader and manager first. Special teams coaches are ideally suited for this role, and they generally have the added strength of not being focused on one side of the ball and skilled at building systems around the players they have. With a good OC and DC I think a ST guy is among the best hires you can make. Don't be so fast to think that this was the Giants settling or anything like that, this could be a very successful hire. Now it's the Giants so of course I hope it goes down in flames but cant criticize this move IMO.

Your points are well taken and why I wanted the Jets to hire Mike Westoff as their HC!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

For all the talk of up-and-coming coordinators in the NFL, Judge is the only one so far (depending on what Cleveland does w/McDaniels being a possibility).  Lincoln Riley staying put for another year as well.

Judge was not the offensive or defensive coordinator. He was just the special teams coordinator and WR coach which is not a great deal of experience to qualify as a rookie HC.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Judge was not the offensive or defensive coordinator. He was just the special teams coordinator and WR coach which is not a great deal of experience to qualify as a rookie HC.

Like Cowher, who on to become the HC of the Steelers after being a STs coach?

Like Harbaugh, who went on to become the HC of the Ravens after being a STs coach?

I'm not impressed and wonder about the resume but just saying

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Judge is actually a very strong candidate.  He was both the Special Teams Coordinator and the WR coach this past year.

It's hard to either praise or criticize the Giants' choice.  None of us know how good or bad it is or will be.  It could be phenominally good or ....  not.

Same for Rhule in Carolina.  I think the real winners so far are the Redskins getting Rivera. Known entity and a "good" known entity (unlike Gase last year)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Trying to act like Rhule didnt leave them at the altar and Judge was their guy the whole time.

Sounds like Ruhle wasn't even a candidate.  Being reported he wasn't interviewed.  The Giants started negotiating with Judge right after his interview and that pushed Ruhle to the Panthers.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Like Cowher, who on to become the HC of the Steelers after being a STs coach?

Like Harbaugh, who went on to become the HC of the Ravens after being a STs coach?

I'm not impressed and wonder about the resume but just saying

I think those guys are the exceptions. A rookie HC is tough enough and add in the NYC factor, even with the NY media loving them some Giants. They will turn on him midway through his 2nd season unless he turns them around and takes the NFCE division, which is highly unlikely.

11 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I think those guys are the exceptions. A rookie HC is tough enough and add in the NYC factor, even with the NY media loving them some Giants. They will turn on him midway through his 2nd season unless he turns them around and takes the NFCE division, which is highly unlikely.

Actually I'd bet that they aren't, if we're talking STs coaches who have been hired as HCs.  Which I thought was your point

Why would they turn on him?  You could say that about anyone they hired.  

Interesting hire - very weird and certainly comes across as a panic hire after losing out on Rhule.

Special teams coaches have done well. Getting an offensive or defensive guy is massively overrated - head coaches need to be a head coach. Not sure this is what Giant fans were looking for though.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Harbaugh has been one of the best, if not THE best, for a decade+.  

Agreed of course, however this is short term perception.  This time last year the league had a McVay hard on and now Harbaugh is the guy

2 thoughts:

As with the Jets and  Knicks, the NY market is not the draw it once was. In fact entirely plausible Rhule saw a much more livable situation in Carolina than NY/NJ. Even with a choice of Newton or Jones. The expense and hassle of this area is a  real negative. 

Goofed on the hire. But as others above note John Harbaugh was the ST coordinator, and that was obviously a very good hire. I really have no idea, but figure to hear that comparison a lot from the Giants' braintrust. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gibby said:

Kinda like Todd Gack! ?

Actually!! Just realized I remembered that wrong. Todd Gack prompted Kramer’s response of- what is that- Dutch?

It was Joe Mayo- that he blurted out“ I never heard of this Joe Mayo guy- frankly it’s sounds made up”.  ?

They did not get the guy they wanted.  It’s laughable listing to certain sports radio people saying it’s a good signing.  How the hell do you know.  He might be ray handley, macaroons, or shurmur.  He is gonna have issues.  6 division games against proven coaches says so..  I hope he fails miserably I hate that team and their fans.  

4 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

They did not get the guy they wanted.  It’s laughable listing to certain sports radio people saying it’s a good signing.  How the hell do you know.  He might be ray handley, macaroons, or shurmur.  He is gonna have issues.  6 division games against proven coaches says so..  I hope he fails miserably I hate that team and their fans.  

Giants PR working overtime.  Sounds like they are promising access, etc. to get this kind of positive feedback.

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

Weird hire. Just not going to bash it yet, really dont want to jinx anything and all of a sudden Joe Judge and Gmen are the kings of NY. 

Dude, Gettleman has a chance to upstage the Jets and he hires a worse HC than Gase or Bowles. Lol Gettleman is a dolt. Next year Giants 4-12.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually I'd bet that they aren't, if we're talking STs coaches who have been hired as HCs.  Which I thought was your point

Why would they turn on him?  You could say that about anyone they hired.  

Yep. the NY media are jackals, all they want is clicks. First year is usually the honeymoon period where they write personal interest stories and give the guy a pass (except for Gase who they hated from from the go). 

The second year is the make or break. Anything less than a winning record will bring out the knives to crave this guy up so that the scum of the earth sports reporters can garner more clicks.