The problem with Gase - concerning L Bell

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The OL instead of blocking were standing up watching Bell struggle. 

Bell was also taking the handoff and then pausing long enough to fire off a few texts before starting to run, so I feel like it was a mixture of issues at hand here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bell was also taking the handoff and then pausing long enough to fire off a few texts before starting to run, so I feel like it was a mixture of issues at hand here. 

Its his running style Shane-0 this is why we need a rookie lightning fast RB in the draft who can break the big run at any given time.

Travis Etienne is my choice but there are others. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Its his running style Shane-0 this is why we need a rookie lightning fast RB in the draft who can break the big run at any given time.

Travis Etienne is my choice but there are others. 

I’d imagine they’ll bring in a few backs this offseason and end up making Bell an extreme part time player

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JiF said:

What is this bogus "build around" take everyone keeps vomiting out the mouth (when I say everyone I mean you and 80).  Nobody is building around Bell or Adams and the idea that this is the approach is moronic. 

Here's a tip for you and you can thank me later for dropping this knowledge on you; Good players cost money, bad players do not cost a lot of money. Good players are better then bad players and having good players is good for your Football team while having bad players, is bad for your Football team. 

Trumaine Johnson cost a lot of money. Just saying.

• Sympathy 1

What is this bogus "build around" take everyone keeps vomiting out the mouth (when I say everyone I mean you and 80).  Nobody is building around Bell or Adams and the idea that this is the approach is moronic. 
Here's a tip for you and you can thank me later for dropping this knowledge on you; Good players cost money, bad players do not cost a lot of money. Good players are better then bad players and having good players is good for your Football team while having bad players, is bad for your Football team. 

The minute you pay a Safety $15M+ per season, you’re building around him by default.
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The minute you pay a Safety $15M+ per season, you’re building around him by default.

I mean, you can keep saying as often as you'd like but it doesnt make it true because it's not true and never will be.

Are they building around Quinnen Williams? They took him 3rd overall.  Are they building around CJ Mosley?  They made him the highest paid LB'er in the league.  Are the 7 playoff teams who are paying top 10 safety money building around their safeties too?  

The answer is no to all the above because it's a completely illogical take made up out of thin air because someone thought it sounded good one day.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I mean, you can keep saying as often as you'd like but it doesnt make it true because it's not true and never will be.

Are they building around Quinnen Williams? They took him 3rd overall.  Are they building around CJ Mosley?  They made him the highest paid LB'er in the league.  Are the 7 playoff teams who are paying top 10 safety money building around their safeties too?  

The answer is no to all the above because it's a completely illogical take made up out of thin air because someone thought it sounded good one day.

Yes, they're building around CJ Mosley, even if a previous regime was responsible for signing him.  Primarily because they can't cut/trade him anytime soon AND he's our best defensive player.  

Jamal would become our 2nd best defensive player and 2nd most expensive player.  Money talks. 

Trumaine Johnson was not someone who ended up being good enough to "build around"; far from it.  But the moment he put pen to paper, it at least partially prevented us from aggressively acquiring more CB's, since Trumaine had to be the CB1 by default until he played so poorly that he got benched.  

Much in the same way, as soon as we sign Jamal, we're building the defense around him and Mosley.  It will be impossible to devote any significant resources to EDGE or CB, which are pieces you need badly on a sustainable and good defense.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, they're building around CJ Mosley, even if a previous regime was responsible for signing him.  Primarily because they can't cut/trade him anytime soon AND he's our best defensive player.  

Jamal would become our 2nd best defensive player and 2nd most expensive player.  Money talks. 

Trumaine Johnson was not someone who ended up being good enough to "build around"; far from it.  But the moment he put pen to paper, it at least partially prevented us from aggressively acquiring more CB's, since Trumaine had to be the CB1 by default until he played so poorly that he got benched.  

Much in the same way, as soon as we sign Jamal, we're building the defense around him and Mosley.  It will be impossible to devote any significant resources to EDGE or CB, which are pieces you need badly on a sustainable and good defense.  

When you think about it, they're building around everyone they hand a contract!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's what big money does, especially when you're dealing with a salary cap.  Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  

Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

That is some Jedi sh*t man, you should get that on a plaque and put in your office/home or maybe a screen saver on your phone. Seriously. not being my normal a$$hole self. I thought that was a pretty good qoute.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

ughh trumain what a let down. I was excited with all the hype, but the reality even if he was great i rather have something else.

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

That is some Jedi sh*t man, you should get that on a plaque and put in your office/home or maybe a screen saver on your phone. Seriously. not being my normal a$$hole self. I thought that was a pretty good qoute.

It's actually a Bible verse (Matthew 6:21); a quote from Jesus (from the Sermon on the Mount).  

I know that triggers people sometimes to quote Jesus so I didn't give him the credit when I posted it, lol.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

When you think about it, they're building around everyone they hand a contract!

Harbaugh built his offense around Jackson. It’s a pretty good concept for the Ravens. Bell was a top 5 back in the NFL with the Steelers. If it worked in Pittsburgh it can work in NY. If Gase threw out his plays and put in some Steeler plays, with a better O-line it would work. A good coach will stick to his scheme. A great coach will utilize the talent he has and design his game as such. 

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Bell was a top 5 back in the NFL with the Steelers. If it worked in Pittsburgh it can work in NY. 

The Steelers also had Big Ben, prime Antonio Brown (and a series of good WR2s) and a terrific OL.  Not exactly a similar situation that Bell walked into.

We all laugh at Antonio Brown now, and rightfully so.  But he had 6 straight seasons of 100+ catches, with 4 seasons in that span where he caught 10 or more TD's.  That certainly helped open things up for Le'Veon.  

Granted, Bell helped Brown too.  AB's string of great seasons coincided with the arrival of Le'Veon.  But in Le'Veon's 2018 holdout year, Brown caught 104 passes for 1,297 yards and 15 TD's.  Not too shabby.