The Jets passed on/failed to acquire 6 of the 8 remaining 2020 playoff QB's this past decade.

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yes- all true. Depressingly true.

listen to me though.  Sam Darnold is for real and will be one of these guys.  I mean it.

i listened to a jets podcast today entirely devoted to a bean counter unemotionally illustrating just how horrific the offensive line was this year- like ungodly horrible, damn near record breaking bad and how Sam was still able to be an “average” QB under these circumstances that would’ve broken nearly anyone.

i trust in JD and his knowledge that it is OL OL OL. Sam will be one of these guys soon imho

I certainly hope you're right!

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Question - How well do you think any of them would do if they were the Jets?

I'll stop you right there.  Either a QB can play or he can't.  None of these teams would be in the Divisional Round of the postseason if these QB's were incapable of winning in any system and regardless of the personnel around them.

Wilson has a Super Bowl in his pocket and has been an elite QB for basically his entire career.  Mahomes has a 50-TD season and a 76/18 TD:INT ratio for his career.  Watson has single-handedly saved Bill O'Brien's job year after year.  Lamar Jackson is a phenom and not just a running QB.  Belichick was heavily resistant to trading Garoppolo for a reason; he'd be the heir apparent to Brady right now if not for Kraft.  

Cousins sucks.  He's the only one on the list I'm fine with "missing out" on.  The rest would all be top 10 or above average QB's here.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2012:  Terry Bradway reportedly pounded the table for Russell Wilson in the 2nd round.  Tannebaum took Stephen Hill instead.

2014:  Mistakenly trying to build around Geno Smith, John Idzik took bust TE Jace Amaro in the 2nd round with Jimmy Garoppolo still on the board.  JN Draftniks like @HessStation were calling for Jimmy G in that spot.  

2017:  The QB-needy Jets passed on both Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes, opting instead to take Jamal Adams and roll with Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.  @dbatesman was one of the more vocal JN posters calling for the Jets to take Watson at 6.

2018:  Macc offered more money than any other team for Kirk Cousins' services.  The Jets' roster was so bad that Cousins took less coin to join the Vikings, much to the chagrin of @Warfish.  The Jets seemed to dodge a bullet, trading three 2nd rounders to eventually take Darnold.  However, the best QB in the draft, at least to this point, has clearly been Lamar Jackson.  

Hindsight is 20/20

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Okay, I'm convinced that about 90% of the sexual gratification you get comes from reminding us how organizationally ****ed this team is.

Max should really let him have his fapathon thread back 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He gave multiple examples of people wanting players at that time.

I swear people have no clue what hindsight means.

Hindsight these days is an all encompassing excuse to suck.

Hindsight is fans whining about missed picks that 29 other clubs missed and most of those players weren't rated for the selection the Jets were picking.

STUPIDITY IS MAKING FUN OF THE PICK WE GOT RIGHT. JAMAL ADAMS A TWO ALL PRO SEASONS IN 3 YEARS. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The overwhelming majority of Jets fans are unwilling to even consider the notion that Sam Darnold isn't in the same league as these QBs.  There are only two options for them, Sam Darnold becomes a top-10-type QB, or Sam Darnold was ruined by the Jets.  Ultimately, there's no point in engaging in these discussions when people have taken a QB who is performing at the bottom of the league in advanced and standard metrics, and have taken the assumption that there is simply no possible chance this is a representation of the players ability.

Many of the same folks did it with Chad and Sanchez too. They also think the Jets wouldve ruined just about any QB you name including HOF guys like Brady.

Weird way of being a fan 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Hindsight is fans whining about missed picks that 29 other clubs missed and most of those players weren't rated for the selection the Jets were picking.

STUPIDITY IS MAKING FUN OF THE PICK WE GOT RIGHT. JAMAL ADAMS A TWO ALL PRO SEASONS IN 3 YEARS. 

The pick isn't right when you draft a strong safety, no matter how good he is, over a great QB, when your QB room includes Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

We didn't get the pick right.  There were at least 2 and as many as 4 other guys we should have taken instead of Jamal.  Even Macc's "best pick" was still a failure.

(I would actually argue Jordan Jenkins was his best pick. )

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2012:  Terry Bradway reportedly pounded the table for Russell Wilson in the 2nd round.  Tannebaum took Stephen Hill instead.

2014:  Mistakenly trying to build around Geno Smith, John Idzik took bust TE Jace Amaro in the 2nd round with Jimmy Garoppolo still on the board.  JN Draftniks like @HessStation were calling for Jimmy G in that spot.  

2017:  The QB-needy Jets passed on both Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes, opting instead to take Jamal Adams and roll with Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.  @dbatesman was one of the more vocal JN posters calling for the Jets to take Watson at 6.

2018:  Macc offered more money than any other team for Kirk Cousins' services.  The Jets' roster was so bad that Cousins took less coin to join the Vikings, much to the chagrin of @Warfish.  The Jets seemed to dodge a bullet, trading three 2nd rounders to eventually take Darnold.  However, the best QB in the draft, at least to this point, has clearly been Lamar Jackson.  

Just 6 of 8? ;) 

It's a long time ago now, but in 2005: We traded our 1st round pick #26 to Oakland for Jolley and 2nd+6th round picks. Oakland was then able to move up from our #26 pick to #23 for just a 5th rounder. Aaron Rodgers was taken at #24. We passed on that opportunity for a 3rd rate TE and a 2nd round kicker. Cherry on top is Heath Miller went 30th if we wanted a TE so badly.

And anyone could have had Tannehill in 2019. He cost Tenn a 4th rounder in 2020 and $2MM. If he leaves Tenn in FA he'd surely return a comp pick for them, so the pick cost is as negligible as the cash when compared to their return on investment.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold vs. Cousins + the 2018 #1 Pick and 3x 2nd Rounders.

sigh....

"Dodged the bullet". :-k

Next we'll give all that Cousins money to Jamal Adams.

Man, being a Jets Fan is sure a thing.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just 6 of 8? ;) 

It's a long time ago now, but in 2005: We traded our 1st round pick #26 to Oakland for Jolley and 2nd+6th round picks. Oakland was then able to move up from our #26 pick to #23 for just a 5th rounder. Aaron Rodgers was taken at #24. We passed on that opportunity for a 3rd rate TE and a 2nd round kicker. Cherry on top is Heath Miller went 30th if we wanted a TE so badly.

And anyone could have had Tannehill in 2019. He cost Tenn a 4th rounder in 2020 and $2MM. If he leaves Tenn in FA he'd surely return a comp pick for them, so the pick cost is as negligible as the cash when compared to their return on investment.

I said "in the last decade" to keep it somewhat relevant.  Which of course ruled out the 2005 draft as part of the original post.

At least Pennington was coming off a strong 2004 campaign that year.  So it made SOME sense that we weren't in the QB market. 

The 2012-17 drafts it made absolutely zero sense to pass on the QB's when we did.   

Tannehill would have been interesting, since he'd had been brought in to be a backup but would have been forced into duty due to mono....

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll stop you right there.  Either a QB can play or he can't.  None of these teams would be in the Divisional Round of the postseason if these QB's were incapable of winning in any system and regardless of the personnel around them.

Wilson has a Super Bowl in his pocket and has been an elite QB for basically his entire career.  Mahomes has a 50-TD season and a 76/18 TD:INT ratio for his career.  Watson has single-handedly saved Bill O'Brien's job year after year.  Lamar Jackson is a phenom and not just a running QB.  Belichick was heavily resistant to trading Garoppolo for a reason; he'd be the heir apparent to Brady right now if not for Kraft.  

Cousins sucks.  He's the only one on the list I'm fine with "missing out" on.  The rest would all be top 10 or above average QB's here.  

Mostly agree

except for Lamar Jackson- I think he’d be a monumental bust if he were drafted by the jets.