The Jets passed on/failed to acquire 6 of the 8 remaining 2020 playoff QB's this past decade.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

2012:  Terry Bradway reportedly pounded the table for Russell Wilson in the 2nd round.  Tannebaum took Stephen Hill instead.

2014:  Mistakenly trying to build around Geno Smith, John Idzik took bust TE Jace Amaro in the 2nd round with Jimmy Garoppolo still on the board.  JN Draftniks like @HessStation were calling for Jimmy G in that spot.  

2017:  The QB-needy Jets passed on both Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes, opting instead to take Jamal Adams and roll with Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.  @dbatesman and @JiF were two of the more vocal JN posters calling for the Jets to take Watson at 6.

2018:  Macc offered more money than any other team for Kirk Cousins' services.  The Jets' roster was so bad that Cousins took less coin to join the Vikings, much to the chagrin of @Warfish.  The Jets seemed to dodge a bullet, trading three 2nd rounders to eventually take Darnold.  However, the best QB in the draft, at least to this point, has clearly been Lamar Jackson.  

Wilson -  we couldn’t draft him in the 2nd because Woody had Tebowmania

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brady sucked this year.  

46 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No he didn’t he had lousy receivers and no OL

Like a QB and he does well: “good QB”

Dislike a QB and he does well: “superior weapons/situation/coaches”

Like a QB who does poorly: “inferior weapons/situation/coaches”

Dislike a QB who does poorly: “bum”

Just a circular argument with no beginning or end. This is why I subscribe to the simplistic evaluation technique: “good QBs play good football” (over sufficient sample sizes)

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name the bad QB's who won titles.  Joe Flacco and.....no one else since 2002, prior to the rule changes.  So we're looking at 1 of the last 16 champions who won with a bad QB.  

When you have a bad QB, he has to be propped up by a damn near perfect roster just to MAKE the playoffs, let alone win playoff games.  

When you have a good/great QB, you're a perennial contender.

You didn't answer my question. Let's try another one.

Do you think the Jets have a bad QB?

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think we have a QB whose ceiling is about average among starting QBs.  You can win a title with average, as long as your average QB can elevate his play in the postseason (similar to Joe Flacco's 11 TD, 0 INT postseason in 2012).  The problem is, average misses the postseason a lot.  

• Thumb Down 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I said we'd go about 7-9 and we went 7-9.  I'm dealing in actual results.  You're dealing in a fantasy world where an NFL team suffers no significant injuries, and where you can trade losses for wins based on feelings.  

Yup.  You want me to believe you had the Jets at 7-9 with Luke Falk forced to play for 3 games putting up 0 TD's, 3 INT's, and 100 yards per game.  Sure thing, right.

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You still ignored my point about the Bills games too.  If we had beaten Buffalo in Week 1, they wouldn't have ended up resting their starters in Week 17.  Even when dealing in hypotheticals you're not factoring in all the variables.

If we got the W in Week 1 we wouldn't have lost the Bengals or Dolphins game because we would have thought we had a chance at the playoffs instead of thinking the season was over. 

You're going to have to come up with better SOJF hate speech if you're going to rewrite history.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we have a QB whose ceiling is about average among starting QBs.  You can win a title with average, as long as your average QB can elevate his play in the postseason (similar to Joe Flacco's 11 TD, 0 INT postseason in 2012).  The problem is, average misses the postseason a lot.  

Wait.

You think Sam Darnold didn't elevate his play this year?  Somehow he finished as the #10 quarterback in the NFL in the second-half of the season, the Jets had the second-best record in the NFL in the second-half of the season, and we did that with a (supposedly) bad head coach calling (supposedly) terrible plays, a running back who was bottom of the league, 2 WR's no one had ever heard of, our 3rd string TE, and an OL that couldn't start in the XFL.

But Darnold was mediocre?

I don't know why I respond to you anymore.  Your hate for the Jets runs too deep. 

SAR I

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yup.  You want me to believe you had the Jets at 7-9 with Luke Falk forced to play for 3 games putting up 0 TD's, 3 INT's, and 100 yards per game.  Sure thing, right.

If we got the W in Week 1 we wouldn't have lost the Bengals or Dolphins game because we would have thought we had a chance at the playoffs instead of thinking the season was over. 

You're going to have to come up with better SOJF hate speech if you're going to rewrite history.

SAR I

Better than you coming up with a hypothetical where the Jets win 11 games based on nothing but your emotions.

Vegas has the Jets O/U in 2020 at 7.5 wins currently.  Clearly they disagree strongly with your opinion.  

37 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I believe Sam is above average. I think the issue is he still makes bonehead decisions  BUT we don't know how much is associated with our poor O-Line etc.  BUT pound for pound, Im happy with him at the helm to build around. 

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wait.

You think Sam Darnold didn't elevate his play this year?  Somehow he finished as the #10 quarterback in the NFL in the second-half of the season, the Jets had the second-best record in the NFL in the second-half of the season, and we did that with a (supposedly) bad head coach calling (supposedly) terrible plays, a running back who was bottom of the league, 2 WR's no one had ever heard of, our 3rd string TE, and an OL that couldn't start in the XFL.

But Darnold was mediocre?

I don't know why I respond to you anymore.  Your hate for the Jets runs too deep. 

SAR I

Mediocre gets a bad rap.  Being an average starting QB makes you somewhere around a Top 14-18 QB.  That's pretty optimistic given Darnold's track record thru 2 seasons.  

On 1/7/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

2012:  Terry Bradway reportedly pounded the table for Russell Wilson in the 2nd round.  Tannebaum took Stephen Hill instead.

2014:  Mistakenly trying to build around Geno Smith, John Idzik took bust TE Jace Amaro in the 2nd round with Jimmy Garoppolo still on the board.  JN Draftniks like @HessStation were calling for Jimmy G in that spot.  

2017:  The QB-needy Jets passed on both Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes, opting instead to take Jamal Adams and roll with Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.  @dbatesman and @JiF were two of the more vocal JN posters calling for the Jets to take Watson at 6.

2018:  Macc offered more money than any other team for Kirk Cousins' services.  The Jets' roster was so bad that Cousins took less coin to join the Vikings, much to the chagrin of @Warfish.  The Jets seemed to dodge a bullet, trading three 2nd rounders to eventually take Darnold.  However, the best QB in the draft, at least to this point, has clearly been Lamar Jackson.  

Don't leave out Aaron Rodgers, who would have been available if the Jets did not trade their 1st rd pick for Doug Jolley.  Sad to think of the losers they took at times when they need a QB.   JD better not continue the pathetic draft record the Jets have had..... 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Don't leave out Aaron Rodgers, who would have been available if the Jets did not trade their 1st rd pick for Doug Jolley.  Sad to think of the losers they took at times when they need a QB.   JD better not continue the pathetic draft record the Jets have had..... 

That was such a brutal trade

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I believe Sam is above average. I think the issue is he still makes bonehead decisions  BUT we don't know how much is associated with our poor O-Line etc.  BUT pound for pound, Im happy with him at the helm to build around. 

If Sam’s above average then who’s average?

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2020 at 2:29 AM, jgb said:

I banged the table for Tannehill to be brought in last off season.

#hindsight

IIRC he was your pick for CPOTY, and you were laughed at because Tannehill was thought of as terrible, and if anything being saddled with such a QB was at least half the reason for Gase's failures.

That's not counting the year he missed, of course, but then that in-between year was used as additional Tannehill-sucks ammunition (i.e. "Gase was 6-10 with a last-minute Cutler coming off his couch, who even missed most of the prior season to injury, after sucking for 5 games, on top of being retired since then; getting Tannehill back in 2018 only improved their win total by 1. And that's because he sucks, he's a loser, his wife is a butterface, etc.")

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:30 PM, FlagmanL11 said:

At the time, I opened a thread on the now defunct ESPN forum for the Jets to move back into the first round to acquire Rodgers.   Then, again these are the Jets and you are a perennial loser franchise by making idiotic decisions almost all the time.  Last dumb decision passing over a proven great offensive genius SB winner over a fraud.  That decision probably set the Jets back at least two years.  

13 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

At the time, I opened a thread on the now defunct ESPN forum for the Jets to move back into the first round to acquire Rodgers.   Then, again these are the Jets and you are a perennial loser franchise by making idiotic decisions almost all the time.  Last dumb decision passing over a proven great offensive genius SB winner over a fraud.  That decision probably set the Jets back at least two years.  

If we add up all the dumb decisions that set the Jets back at least two years, we would be 496 years away from being contenders.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

IIRC he was your pick for CPOTY, and you were laughed at because Tannehill was thought of as terrible, and if anything being saddled with such a QB was at least half the reason for Gase's failures.

That's not counting the year he missed, of course, but then that in-between year was used as additional Tannehill-sucks ammunition (i.e. "Gase was 6-10 with a last-minute Cutler coming off his couch, who even missed most of the prior season to injury, after sucking for 5 games, on top of being retired since then; getting Tannehill back in 2018 only improved their win total by 1. And that's because he sucks, he's a loser, his wife is a butterface, etc.")

Well he didn't win CPOTY so I'm sure I'll be told I was totally wrong about my prediction!

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2020 at 7:11 AM, Philc1 said:

No he didn’t he had lousy receivers and no OL

Well either way some really smart people here say Belichick is the reason for Pat's success, weird how the finish up 4-5 and WC round loss when 43 year old QB finally looks 43

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

Well either way some really smart people here say Belichick is the reason for Pat's success, weird how the finish up 4-5 and WC round loss when 43 year old QB finally looks 43, even with what was touted for months as an all-time great defense.

Finish your sentence/reason -- longer posts FTW!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DRJETS said:

Hopefully the Jet total misses end with JD running the draft.  

8 hours ago, CTM said:

Well either way some really smart people here say Belichick is the reason for Pat's success, weird how the finish up 4-5 and WC round loss when 43 year old QB finally looks 43

Belichick is 14 games below .500 without Brady

anyone arguing it’s all Belichick watches too much ESPN

• Upvote 1