Rooney Rule: Minority Coaches getting shut out yet again.

We all know the Rooney Rule was created to protect the NFL from a lawsuit and really not much more.  But even having said that, it's quite clear that teams are seemingly going out of their way to hire white coaches.  Ron Rivera got hired by the Redskins almost immediately, but the pipeline of white HC's and white assistants has continued throughout the league and is reflected in the latest round of hires.  

You can always argue "the best candidate should get the job", and you'd be right.  But that's pretty clearly NOT what has been going on in the NFL for years.  Consider that 14 % of the time when a white HC gets fired, he gets another HC job in the NFL.  Only 7 % of the time do fired African American HC's get that 2nd head coaching opportunity.  The Bills just had a tremendous season but DC Leslie Frazier couldn't even get an interview.  Eric Bieniemy has been a high profile interview the last 2 years, but can't get a HC job.  Meanwhile, a ST coach for the Pats gets the Giants job.  At the very least, Bieniemy was just as qualified as Joe Judge, but more accurately was MORE qualified.  But we know the Giants have been resistant to minority HC's and QB's over their history, and that might not be a coincidence.  

The problem starts with a lack of minority OC's and QB Coaches.  Byron Leftwich is one of the few hot young names that might eventually parlay his current role into a HC role down the road.  Otherwise the pipeline is dry.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/the-rooney-rule-still-isnt-working/

The Rooney Rule (still) isn’t working

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2020, 2:01 PM EST

To say that the Rooney Rule isn’t working is to presume that it ever did. It never truly did, at least not in the way it was intended.

Ideally, the rule requiring at least one minority candidate to be interviewed for every head-coaching vacancy will prompt owners to engage in a deliberate, patient, inclusive search, one that doesn’t have the destination selected before the journey begins. That’s not how it worked in the decades before the rule was created, and that’s definitely not how it has worked in the 18 years since the rule was put in place.

The Rooney Rule was never about forcing an owner to hire a minority candidate. It was about requiring owners to give fair consideration to a diverse set of qualified candidates before picking the next coach. But even though the league can mandate at least one interview of a minority candidate, the league can never force owners to not make decisions about the coaches they want to hire.

And so the practical value of the rule comes only from the fact that requiring interviews of at least one minority candidate per vacancy places into the media pipeline names that otherwise wouldn’t be mentioned, and gives minority candidates opportunities to get experience with the interview process. There’s value in that, although less value when (for example) the Cowboys choose to interview not an up-and-coming assistant but Marvin Lewis, who needs no boost in name recognition or job-interview experience.

Regardless of its intended purpose, the Rooney Rule has become an exercise checking a box. If that’s what it’s going to be, the requirement should be that the candidate interviewed will truly benefit from the box-checking: No NFL head-coaching experience, for example. An age or years-of-experience limit, possibly.

But it still should be something more. In a very brave move given the entity that signs his paycheck, Jim Trotter of NFL Media shared via social media this observation, via an unnamed black assistant coach: “NFL has finally shown it’s not the place for black men to advance. It’s ridiculous, it’s disgusting. We can sell tickets and make plays, but we can’t lead.”

Trotter calls the problem not a league issue but an ownership issue. But there’s no difference; the owners are the league. And the league adopted the Rooney Rule via vote of the owners.

Instead of using the threat of litigation to squeeze the league into adopting the Rooney Rule, maybe Johnnie Cochran and Cyrus Mehri should have persuaded someone to file a lawsuit alleging discrimination on the basis of race. Sometimes, that’s the only way to truly alter behavior and, more importantly, attitudes.

But that will never happen, because coaches simply want to coach. Whoever takes that stand will never coach again, at least not in the NFL.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2020-01-07-nfl-disgraces-rooney-rule-by-giving-token-interviews-to-black-candidates/

NFL Disgraces Rooney Rule By Giving 'Token Interviews' to Black Candidates

posted by Wil Leitner -  Jan 7, 2020
5e1529503769e76d80e70946?ops=max(650,0),

Rob Parker: “Get rid of the ‘Rooney Rule’. It’s garbage, it’s boulder dash, it’s poppycock – IT AIN’T REAL. These guys already knew who they were going to hire and they parade the black coaches past the media like a dog and pony show.”
Chris Broussard: “Do you think Dallas seriously considered Marvin Lewis?”
Rob: “NOT AT ALL. They brought him in for a cup of coffee and a sweet roll, and to take pictures and let people know ‘Marvin Lewis came to Dallas! We checked the box!’ They had no intentions of hiring Marvin Lewis and it’s embarrassing and wrong. There is no way we should be treated like that and going on token interviews that don’t matter. Years ago when I was in Detroit, the Lions were going to hire Steve Mariucci and the NFL said they couldn’t do it until they followed through with the 'Rooney Rule'. You know what they did? They called up all these black guys to interview and to their credit, NONE of them went to Detroit, because everyone in the league knew Mariucci already had the job. They didn’t want to show up to no dog and pony show to pacify some damn league rule that isn’t doing the job that it’s supposed to.”
Chris: “If I’m an African-American coach and I know I’m just being brought in to fulfill some Rooney Rules, I’m not going.” (Full Audio at Bottom of Page)

Listen to Rob Parker explain to co-host Chris Broussard why he’s not happy with the direction of the NFL’s well-known ‘Rooney Rule’ and why he believes that it has become a laughably predictable charade at this point.

The landmark rule named after former Steelers owner Dan Rooney was instituted in 2003 requiring NFL teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching jobs.

Its main goal was to make sure the league always had a handful of minority head coaches around the NFL, but the rule only requires teams to offer interviews to minority candidates.

Rob thinks many NFL teams have made a mockery of the rule and have simply checked their boxes by bringing in African-American candidates for ‘token interviews’ with no real desire of ever hiring them.

For this reason, Rob thinks it’s nothing short of disgraceful when he hears that even candidates the likes of weathered former Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis was being interviewed by the Dallas Cowboys, despite his name appearing like a complete longshot for the coveted position.

Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy has been one of the top candidates for a head coaching position the last few years, but has yet to make the jump to head coach, despite countless interviews. Many believe that some of Bieniemy's interviews were offered only to suffice the 'Rooney Rule'.

Mike Tomlin of the Steelers, Anthony Lynn of the Chargers, and Ron Rivera of the Redskins are the league's only minority head coaches at the moment.

Check out the audio below as Rob says the league needs to think about getting rid of the rule altogether, and details why it’s become embarrassing to minorities at this point.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 3

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't really have a comment on the Rooney rule, but Ron Rivera is Latino/Hispanic.  He is not the poster boy for whitey getting jobs in the NFL.  The Giants also kept Jerry Reese well past his sell by date.

I mentioned Rivera in the OP.  

• Upvote 3

I don't think we know how Bienemy interviewd but can someone tell me why a guy like Duce Staley has even never gotten an interview ?  That is one I just don't get. Unless he just wants to stay in Philly it makes no sense to me why he doesn't or has not even gotten an interview.

• Upvote 1

I just posted this in the cowherd thread and thought it was worth repeating here:

The Giants (Mara, Tisch) just set minority coaching development back 10 years but hopefully sparked the need to increase focus - expect Runey rule updates this offseason

there was no reason to hire Judge on the spot, fine if they got outbid for Rhule but they are competing with the Browns for the only other open job and no one else was interviewing Judge... 

very bad look, not quite McCaskey bad, but this will leave a mark

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

4 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I don't think we know how Bienemy interviewd but can someone tell me why a guy like Duce Staley has even never gotten an interview ?  That is one I just don't get. Unless he just wants to stay in Philly it makes no sense to me why he doesn't or has not even gotten an interview.

Staley may just love Philly.  He played there and has been on the staff since Andy Reid.  I think he interviewed before they hired Pederson.  After the super bowl, they gave him the "Assistant Head Coach" tag, which is at least a sign of respect.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

There has always been talk about Duce as a potential candidate. Might be better off just where he is in Philly. Some guys don't want the responsibility. I think he will get his chance eventually, if he wants.

Kris Richard should’ve been our head coach, but because dumb fans wanted an offensive mind we got Gase and his 32nd ranked offense. You need a leader of men. Not someone who only works with one side of the ball and is trash at doing that. Richard/Caldwell should’ve been the two coaches we really looked at. Bieniemy would’ve been option number 3. I will scream this when Gase is fired next season. I only bring this up because Jets interviewed Richard/Bieniemy/Caldwell and passed on all of them. The Rooney rule is a joke. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We all know the Rooney Rule was created to protect the NFL from a lawsuit and really not much more.  But even having said that, it's quite clear that teams are seemingly going out of their way to hire white coaches.  Ron Rivera got hired by the Redskins almost immediately, but the pipeline of white HC's and white assistants has continued throughout the league and is reflected in the latest round of hires.  

You can always argue "the best candidate should get the job", and you'd be right.  But that's pretty clearly NOT what has been going on in the NFL for years.  Consider that 14 % of the time when a white HC gets fired, he gets another HC job in the NFL.  Only 7 % of the time do fired African American HC's get that 2nd head coaching opportunity.  The Bills just had a tremendous season but DC Leslie Frazier couldn't even get an interview.  Eric Bieniemy has been a high profile interview the last 2 years, but can't get a HC job.  Meanwhile, a ST coach for the Pats gets the Giants job.  At the very least, Bieniemy was just as qualified as Joe Judge, but more accurately was MORE qualified.  But we know the Giants have been resistant to minority HC's and QB's over their history, and that might not be a coincidence.  

The problem starts with a lack of minority OC's and QB Coaches.  Byron Leftwich is one of the few hot young names that might eventually parlay his current role into a HC role down the road.  Otherwise the pipeline is dry.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/the-rooney-rule-still-isnt-working/

The Rooney Rule (still) isn’t working

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2020, 2:01 PM EST

To say that the Rooney Rule isn’t working is to presume that it ever did. It never truly did, at least not in the way it was intended.

Ideally, the rule requiring at least one minority candidate to be interviewed for every head-coaching vacancy will prompt owners to engage in a deliberate, patient, inclusive search, one that doesn’t have the destination selected before the journey begins. That’s not how it worked in the decades before the rule was created, and that’s definitely not how it has worked in the 18 years since the rule was put in place.

The Rooney Rule was never about forcing an owner to hire a minority candidate. It was about requiring owners to give fair consideration to a diverse set of qualified candidates before picking the next coach. But even though the league can mandate at least one interview of a minority candidate, the league can never force owners to not make decisions about the coaches they want to hire.

And so the practical value of the rule comes only from the fact that requiring interviews of at least one minority candidate per vacancy places into the media pipeline names that otherwise wouldn’t be mentioned, and gives minority candidates opportunities to get experience with the interview process. There’s value in that, although less value when (for example) the Cowboys choose to interview not an up-and-coming assistant but Marvin Lewis, who needs no boost in name recognition or job-interview experience.

Regardless of its intended purpose, the Rooney Rule has become an exercise checking a box. If that’s what it’s going to be, the requirement should be that the candidate interviewed will truly benefit from the box-checking: No NFL head-coaching experience, for example. An age or years-of-experience limit, possibly.

But it still should be something more. In a very brave move given the entity that signs his paycheck, Jim Trotter of NFL Media shared via social media this observation, via an unnamed black assistant coach: “NFL has finally shown it’s not the place for black men to advance. It’s ridiculous, it’s disgusting. We can sell tickets and make plays, but we can’t lead.”

Trotter calls the problem not a league issue but an ownership issue. But there’s no difference; the owners are the league. And the league adopted the Rooney Rule via vote of the owners.

Instead of using the threat of litigation to squeeze the league into adopting the Rooney Rule, maybe Johnnie Cochran and Cyrus Mehri should have persuaded someone to file a lawsuit alleging discrimination on the basis of race. Sometimes, that’s the only way to truly alter behavior and, more importantly, attitudes.

But that will never happen, because coaches simply want to coach. Whoever takes that stand will never coach again, at least not in the NFL.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2020-01-07-nfl-disgraces-rooney-rule-by-giving-token-interviews-to-black-candidates/

NFL Disgraces Rooney Rule By Giving 'Token Interviews' to Black Candidates

posted by Wil Leitner -  Jan 7, 2020
5e1529503769e76d80e70946?ops=max(650,0),

Rob Parker: “Get rid of the ‘Rooney Rule’. It’s garbage, it’s boulder dash, it’s poppycock – IT AIN’T REAL. These guys already knew who they were going to hire and they parade the black coaches past the media like a dog and pony show.”
Chris Broussard: “Do you think Dallas seriously considered Marvin Lewis?”
Rob: “NOT AT ALL. They brought him in for a cup of coffee and a sweet roll, and to take pictures and let people know ‘Marvin Lewis came to Dallas! We checked the box!’ They had no intentions of hiring Marvin Lewis and it’s embarrassing and wrong. There is no way we should be treated like that and going on token interviews that don’t matter. Years ago when I was in Detroit, the Lions were going to hire Steve Mariucci and the NFL said they couldn’t do it until they followed through with the 'Rooney Rule'. You know what they did? They called up all these black guys to interview and to their credit, NONE of them went to Detroit, because everyone in the league knew Mariucci already had the job. They didn’t want to show up to no dog and pony show to pacify some damn league rule that isn’t doing the job that it’s supposed to.”
Chris: “If I’m an African-American coach and I know I’m just being brought in to fulfill some Rooney Rules, I’m not going.” (Full Audio at Bottom of Page)

Listen to Rob Parker explain to co-host Chris Broussard why he’s not happy with the direction of the NFL’s well-known ‘Rooney Rule’ and why he believes that it has become a laughably predictable charade at this point.

The landmark rule named after former Steelers owner Dan Rooney was instituted in 2003 requiring NFL teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching jobs.

Its main goal was to make sure the league always had a handful of minority head coaches around the NFL, but the rule only requires teams to offer interviews to minority candidates.

Rob thinks many NFL teams have made a mockery of the rule and have simply checked their boxes by bringing in African-American candidates for ‘token interviews’ with no real desire of ever hiring them.

For this reason, Rob thinks it’s nothing short of disgraceful when he hears that even candidates the likes of weathered former Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis was being interviewed by the Dallas Cowboys, despite his name appearing like a complete longshot for the coveted position.

Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy has been one of the top candidates for a head coaching position the last few years, but has yet to make the jump to head coach, despite countless interviews. Many believe that some of Bieniemy's interviews were offered only to suffice the 'Rooney Rule'.

Mike Tomlin of the Steelers, Anthony Lynn of the Chargers, and Ron Rivera of the Redskins are the league's only minority head coaches at the moment.

Check out the audio below as Rob says the league needs to think about getting rid of the rule altogether, and details why it’s become embarrassing to minorities at this point.

I am astounded that we still have these discussions. Most teams hire and fire coaches based on the belief that they are the best choice to try and win. Hiring because of race is the last thing that crosses my mind. I cannot believe that we are still insinuating racism in a league that is mostly composed of minorities and is vastly diverse. Personally, I've had enough of the BS accusations. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Kris Richard should’ve been our head coach, but because dumb fans wanted an offensive mind we got Gase and his 32nd ranked offense. You need a leader of men. Not someone who only works with one side of the ball and is trash at doing that. Richard/Caldwell should’ve been the two coaches we really looked at. Bieniemy would’ve been option number 3. I will scream this when Gase is fired next season. I only bring this up because Jets interviewed Richard/Bieniemy/Caldwell and passed on all of them. The Rooney rule is a joke. 

Why would we fire Gase after winning the SB next year?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

The Rooney Rule definitely has room for improvement, but it is not without benefit.  A number of coaches at a minimum get to familiarize themselves with the process of being hired for the role of head coach.  Learning what the interview process is like, how to present yourself for consideration for the top job in your field, and gaining experience that you can reflect on when any future opportunities arise all have great value.  At a minimum a candidate should come away with areas that they need to focus on to better prepare themselves for future opportunities.

I was once given a courtesy interview for a VP role that I wasn't ready for.  That experience definitely landed me on the radar of the right people in my previous organization and helped me gain a similar role in the future.

• Upvote 4

The Rooney Rule is well-intended but misses the mark.  It's meant to provide opportunity but obviously doesn't ensure anyone actually gets a job.  I think it's a step in the right direction.....but there are a lot more steps that still need to happen.  Figuring those out is the hard part because you can't force somebody to hire someone.  Field Yates suggested instituting the Rooney Rule for coordinator hires as well because coordinators, along with college coaches, are the pool of people most often tapped for HC interviews and jobs.  Maybe that's another step.

One thing's for sure, either a guy can be a successful coach or he can't.  Black, White or Martian....we've seen guys succeed and fail not because of their race but because of all the typical things that make coaches fail....poor management/communication, bad strategies and game-planning, inabilities to adjust, inabilities to develop/coach up players to turn C guys into B guys and B guys into A guys.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I am astounded that we still have these discussions. Most teams hire and fire coaches based on the belief that they are the best choice to try and win. Hiring because of race is the last thing that crosses my mind. I cannot believe that we are still insinuating racism in a league that is mostly composed of minorities and is vastly diverse. Personally, I've had enough of the BS accusations

Because the data supports the idea that discrimination is going on.  Ignore it all you'd like, but its readily available, and thus these discussions will occur until the league proves otherwise.

"Most teams" don't hire on a meritocracy.  A few do.  But certainly not "most".  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I've always been 50/50 on the Rooney Rule.

Its great because it opens the door for opportunities for some coaches but on the other hand it can lead to these token interviews. 

If Dallas was hell bent on hiring McCarthy, then in my opinion it doesn't seem right that they would have to identify a qualified minority and bring him in just to comply with a rule.   

The rule was good, but the way it was created was not, and the spirit of the rule certainly isn't being followed.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

One facet of the issue that gets ignored is the pool of top college coaches.  Look at any list and it does not represent well on the diversity scale.  The NFL can't control college hires, but that is a large part of the pool that teams draw from when hiring coaches and assistants.  I don't have an answer there, but you can't overlook it as a relevant point in this discussion.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

Strange that Richard wasn't even interviewed this time around, at least not from what I saw.  I get that Jason Garrett was on his way out, but that shouldn't have impacted Richard's reputation.  He was the DB Coach AND Passing Game Coordinator this year, a year where Dak Prescott had his best season in the league.  And of course he was in charge of the Legion of Boom in Seattle.

Then again based on what I mentioned in the OP, perhaps it isn't all that surprising that Richard wasn't a consideration. Hell, Richard was even passed up for a promotion for his own team.  He wasn't elevated to DC.  Mike Nolan got that job.  I get that McCarthy and Nolan have a long relationship, but that's kind of the point:  This is still a "good old boys" league.  Nepotism and Despotism rule the hiring process, and minority coaches tend to get factored out of those relationships.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Strange that Richard wasn't even interviewed this time around, at least not from what I saw.  I get that Jason Garrett was on his way out, but that shouldn't have impacted Richard's reputation.  He was the DB Coach AND Passing Game Coordinator this year, a year where Dak Prescott had his best season in the league.  And of course he was in charge of the Legion of Boom in Seattle.

Then again based on what I mentioned in the OP, perhaps it isn't all that surprising that Richard wasn't a consideration....

Richard has the resume for a head coach. He’s a leader of men and he’s been successful in every facet he’s coached. Yet he gets looked over for Joe Judge. Browns aren’t even looking at him. They hired Freddie Kitchens, someone who didn’t deserve a HC job and didn’t have near the credential of Richard or Bieniemy and look how that worked. It’s just clear teams aren’t looking at resumes and just care about relationships. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One facet of the issue that gets ignored is the pool of top college coaches.  Look at any list and it does not represent well on the diversity scale.  The NFL can't control college hires, but that is a large part of the pool that teams draw from when hiring coaches and assistants.  I don't have an answer there, but you can't overlook it as a relevant point in this discussion.

Yep.  SEC schools are among the leagues that tend to be opposed to minority coaches.  Mississippi State had all white HCs until Sylvester Croom was brought in in 2004, and he got fired less than 5 years later.  He's a RB's Coach in the NFL currently, but until he gets a shot at being a QB Coach, he likely won't be considered for a HC job ever again at either the NFL or Collegiate level.  

• Upvote 1

I'm old enough to remember when there were no black starting QB's and this made noise.

Well, we go where the talent leads us  was a great answer by the then Atlanta baseball GM.

Now, clearly we have no shortage of fantastic QB's of color. The same will happen with coaching.

You can't legislate people into positions... unless you are the government of course.

No owner will stop a black QB that outplays his white QB, same with coaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I'm old enough to remember when there were no black starting QB's and this made noise.

Well, we go where the talent leads us  was a great answer by the then Atlanta baseball GM.

Now, clearly we have no shortage of fantastic QB's of color. The same will happen with coaching.

You can't legislate people into positions... unless you are the government of course.

No owner will stop a black QB that outplays his white QB, same with coaching.

But this is exactly what's been happening.  If Owners really cared about this stuff, Eric Bieniemy would have a HC job right now.  He's more than qualified.  

You would think with so many black QB's, there'd be more black QB Coaches and OC's.  But that progress has been slow.  Hue Jackson, who I at least like as a person, brought this up during his hiring press conference with the Browns.  

If this was a true meritocracy there would be no complaints.  But it's very clearly not.  This stat alone that I mentioned in the first post proves that there's at least some form of bias towards white coaches in the NFL:

Consider that 14 % of the time when a white HC gets fired, he gets another HC job in the NFL.  Only 7 % of the time do fired African American HC's get that 2nd head coaching opportunity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

Johnson's hired Gase because they think he is the best coach for the Jets. ALL the owners want to win. They don't care what color the guy is. Just win Baby as Al Davis use to say. As far as the Jets didn't we just have a minority HC for years ? The Jet's hired him at the time because they thought he was the best candidate for the job. The Jets kept him on well past his EXP date accoeding to many fans.  Your argument is very weak. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

Kris Richard has been fired from his last two jobs

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There was in interesting point that the problem isn’t as much with the owners anymore as it is with the head coaches opting to hire their buddies as OC and QB coaches, which is where the HC pipeline normally runs through. The fact that the Giants hired an unqualified crispy white nobody to be their HC, and Dowell Loggains gets repeat opportunities to do whatever he pretends to do, you know there are serious glass ceiling issues for these guys

Progress here needs to be made baby steps at a time, and it requires some soft diplomacy.

Every team could do more.  If I am Roger Goodell, I am calling Chris Johnson and asking that they consider a minority candidate to replace or supplement Loggains, because obviously Loggains is doing zero and it could be a good experience for someone likely more qualified to help the Jets field an offense.  

The Giants hired is an oddball one, but makes sense when you know the Maras and others.  I think the other hires made sense for what those teams wanted, and plenty of white guys were fired.  Bienemy and Staley will get their chance, and it would not surprise me if were the Jets who gave it to them.  Herman Edwards will also be back in the NFL.  

But Bowles deserved to be fired and needs to show something more to get another HC job. 

• Thumb Down 1

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There was in interesting point that the problem isn’t as much with the owners anymore as it is with the head coaches opting to hire their buddies as OC and QB coaches, which is where the HC pipeline normally runs through. The fact that the Giants hired an unqualified crispy white nobody to be their HC, and Dowell Loggains gets repeat opportunities to do whatever he pretends to do, you know there are serious glass ceiling issues for these guys

Like Kacy Rodgers

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

Johnson's hired Gase because they think he is the best coach for the Jets. ALL the owners want to win. They don't care what color the guy is. Just win Baby as Al Davis use to say. As far as the Jets didn't we just have a minority HC for years ? The Jet's hired him at the time because they thought he was the best candidate for the job. The Jets kept him on well past his EXP date accoeding to many fans.  Your argument is very weak. 

Jets hired Gase because Chris Johnson is an idiot. Bieniemy/Monken/Rhule/Richard/Caldwell were all much better hires for this team for many reasons. The hiring of Gase has nothing to do with color, but this is just in response to the Rooney Rule nonsense. Todd Bowles had many issues with in-game coaching and while he was a great leader, he didn’t get the job done and they moved on. But you can’t tell me they gave Bowles every chance to succeed with the crap QBs and O Line and weapons they gave him. Yet they gave Gase the whole franchise and he’s getting every chance to be successful. I just want it to be the same for everyone. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It's a combination of the "good old boys network" among HC's and high-profile Coordinators AND the owners not particularly caring that it exists.  If owners wanted more minority OC's/QB Coaches to enter the future HC pipeline, it would happen.  After all, we've seen RB/WR Coaches and even Defensive coaches become QB Coaches all the time.  But those tend to be white guys.  You don't HAVE to be a former QB or have a lot of experience with QB's at other levels to become a QB Coach.  

The owners have the power to make that kind of change, but don't care to do so because the Rooney Rule protects them from getting sued.  

• Thumb Down 1