Rooney Rule: Minority Coaches getting shut out yet again.

Jetsfan80

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

Um, Kris Richard just got fired. Because his Defense underperformed.  And Jim Caldwell is a joke, along with the rule. 

Bowles wasn't horrible, but he was saddled with a terrible GM, and his catatonic demeanor on game day was a terrible look. He'll get another shot. Marvin Lewis got over a decade, and probably was retained  about 3 years too long. 

Eric Bienemy and Byron Leftwich will both get shots. But Matt Rhule for $10M a year for 7 years? LOL Wut?

And the guy who worked for Bellichick? Really, Giants? 

The underlying problem is stupidity,  not racism. 

Coaches get fired when bringing in new Head Coaches. It happens. The problem is exactly what you said, these guys will EVENTUALLY get shots. Why eventually? Just seem like they have to prove more that they are worth the risk that’s all.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kris Richard was not the DC for Dallas, he was the DB Coach.  And he was also the Passing Game Coordinator.  Dak Prescott just had a career year.  

That guy is a great candidate.  I think if we didn't see a couple of re-treads (Rivera, McCarthy) hired AND there were more openings this year (5 is kinda low) he'd really have a legit shot.  He's a riser in the league for sure...despite how things went in Dallas this year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, New York Mick said:

Blah blah blah. Owners would hire a one legged gay black Muslim chick if they thought she could win them a championship. 
There’s plenty of black coaches, coordinators, assistance, QBs, trainers etc. Stop whining and let the best person get the job. 

Exactly my point ! The owners want to win...bottom line. Dallas had 11 minority coaches on their staff this year. I'm sure each one was hired because they think they are the best candidate for their jobs and could help the team win..

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Blah blah blah. Owners would hire a one legged gay black Muslim chick if they thought she could win them a championship. 
There’s plenty of black coaches, coordinators, assistance, QBs, trainers etc. Stop whining and let the best person get the job. 

The best person doesn't get the job, not always.  That's the point.  There's no way you can tell me Joe Judge is a better hire than Eric Bieniemy.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jameis Winston just threw for 5100 yards and his coach cant wait to get rid of him. Pointless stats. Want a stat? Kris Richard allowed Darnold to throw for almost 400 yards on his pass defense. 

But he should get hired as HC just because Jetsfan80 says so. OK. 

And guess what? The OC that helped make that happen isn’t even being considered for a HC job. But last year, Monken who had Winston/ Fitzpatrick playing great, was considered for HC jobs all around, even the Jets. That is the difference. And if you don’t see it, then you never will. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jameis Winston just threw for 5100 yards and his coach cant wait to get rid of him. Pointless stats. Want a stat? Kris Richard allowed Darnold to throw for almost 400 yards on his pass defense. 

But he should get hired as HC just because Jetsfan80 says so. OK. 

What does Jameis getting let go have to do with it?  We're talking about the coach, not the player.  Jameis just had a career year, and you don't see any coaches getting fired there.  Yet Kris Richard plays a major role in helping Dak and gets let go, nor does he get a HC interview OR considered for a DC/QB Coach job?  Makes no sense. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In 2016, 30 of the 32 NFL Head Coaches were former players who at minimum played at the Collegiate level.  

The other 2 played at the High School level.  

Irrelevant to my point.. but then again , you went to UNCW. 😂   I just think that management skills are more important than we think. The FG kicker of W and M  when Tomlin was there is a colleague of mine.  He said it was clear then that Tomlin was the smartest player on the team.

Anyone care to respond to the stat I pointed out in the OP AND later in the thread and tell me discrimination isn't going on?

Consider that 14 % of the time when a white HC gets fired, he gets another HC job in the NFL.  Only 7 % of the time do fired African American HC's get that 2nd head coaching opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Irrelevant to my point.. but then again , you went to UNCW. 😂   I just think that management skills are more important than we think. The FG kicker of W and M  when Tomlin was there is a colleague of mine.  He said it was clear then that Tomlin was the smartest player on the team.

Cheap shot!  lol.

Fine.  I agree with you on the Management skills.  But HC's get the opportunity to show off those management skills when they're QB Coaches and then OC's, which has proven to be the easiest path to a HC job.  Black/minority coaches don't get nearly enough of those opportunities.  

It's not a matter of being "good enough".  It's a matter of nepotism/despotism outweighing anything close to a meritocracy.  

There's tons of black RB, WR and DB Coaches out there.  But unlike their white counterparts, a lot of them don't get to make that jump to QB Coach.  Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be a former QB or QB Coach at a lower level to be an effective QB Coach.  

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The best person doesn't get the job, not always.  That's the point.  There's no way you can tell me Joe Judge is a better hire than Eric Bieniemy.  

Onwers would hire the Pats water boy. As far as Judge it’s the Giants, they don’t make good decisions. 

35 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

No black HC is ever getting 7 years for 60 mil or 10 years whatever mil Gruden got. 

I don't know how much Marvin Lewis made but as a middling HC for 16 years (!) he sure had some insane job security with the Bengals.  16 seasons and 0 playoff wins?  Who stays employed with that kind of record?  Over one stretch he went 5 consecutive seasons averaging about 9-10 wins (good consistency) but losing 5 straight playoff games.  This has nothing to do with race IMO, they were always waiting for a breakthrough with him in Cincinnati, but guys like Jack Del Rio and Tony Dungy were let go (both for Gruden I think) even though they had teams knocking on the door and making the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How the hell do you or ANYONE know at this point in time ? Only time will tell. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator when he got hired. Worked out pretty well for the Ravens.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll push back on this on a little bit with a couple questions/thoughts?

I think that owners are greedy rich guys who want to win at all costs.  I think they will hire, draft, employ whoever they think gives them the best chance to win and make more money.  I'm not naive enough to think that some owners don't have prejudices, but I do not think that owners will hire a lesser candidate because of his race.  In an ultra-competitive business like pro sports I don't think an owner would shrink the pool of coaching options available to him just because of race.  If they did, they'd be at a disadvantage to other owners and would likely not be interested in owning a NFL football team.  It would be like deciding that the team shouldn't draft any left-handed players.....why do that?  Why shrink the prospect pool.  These guys are NFL owners because they've achieved a lot, made tons of money, etc.  If they directed their GMs to not hire black candidates, to not draft black players, etc. they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.  It would be like a guy running a hedge fund arbitrarily saying, "I want to run a portfolio invested in the best tech companies in the world....but ignore any companies that don't have a white CEO," so they can't invest in Microsoft, etc.  Maybe I'm missing something but even boiling it down to raw human nature and assuming the worst about people I'd say that if some owners DO harbor prejudices, racism, etc. then their greed outweighs it.

I would agree with this. The owners only priority is his teams and his businesses self interest. The issue is racial stereotyping and bias towards white people, whether conscious or not, with the assumption that he's the more qualified. People are still peddling racial IQ nonsense to this day. 

This was the issue with QB's and Centre's. Not that they weren't phsyically or technically as good - But the the underlying notion that they weren't mentally up to the task. As notion which has been completely destroyed in recent years by the performances of black QB's. They didn't just suddenly improve.  

To suggest the predominantly old white billionaires running things in the NFL haven't carried down some of this racial bias is astonishingly ignorant. A lot of them were born into a segregated country. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Thai Jet said:

How the hell do you or ANYONE know at this point in time?

We of course don't know if Judge will do well there.  But from the information we have available, Bieniemy had the better resume and has been interviewed for several HC jobs already. 

You can evaluate the hiring process without knowing what the future holds.  And in this instance, after being shut out of all the bigger name HC's, Bieniemy would have made perfect sense.  

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Onwers would hire the Pats water boy. As far as Judge it’s the Giants, they don’t make good decisions. 

They could have taken their sweet time. Only other opening was the Browns so I doubt others were really clamoring for Judge. The few Giant fans I know are pissed. lol

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't know how much Marvin Lewis made but as a middling HC for 16 years (!) he sure had some insane job security with the Bengals.  16 seasons and 0 playoff wins?  Who stays employed with that kind of record?  Over one stretch he went 5 consecutive seasons averaging about 9-10 wins (good consistency) but losing 5 straight playoff games.  This has nothing to do with race IMO, they were always waiting for a breakthrough with him in Cincinnati, but guys like Jack Del Rio and Tony Dungy were let go (both for Gruden I think) even though they had teams knocking on the door and making the playoffs.

You can’t just name me the 1 or 2 times it happens with a black coach and just say it’s fine. Cause it happens hundreds of times for white coaches. This is what no one seems to understand. Minorities are just suppose to be satisfied with getting the opportunity once, while whites get the opportunities all the time. This has been an issue in America forever. Marvin Lewis showed YEARS of success yet he will probably never get another job again. Yet Gase showed complete failure and got a job the very moment he was fired. That’s a huge problem to me. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We of course don't know if Judge will do well there.  But from the information we have available, Bieniemy had the better resume and has been interviewed for several HC jobs already. 

You can evaluate the hiring process without knowing what the future holds.  And in this instance, after being shut out of all the bigger name HC's, Bieniemy would have made perfect sense.  

In YOUR opinion. Maybe he sucks at interviewing. I've known brilliant people who were well qualified but never got the promotions because they were a lousy interview.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There was in interesting point that the problem isn’t as much with the owners anymore as it is with the head coaches opting to hire their buddies as OC and QB coaches, which is where the HC pipeline normally runs through. The fact that the Giants hired an unqualified crispy white nobody to be their HC, and Dowell Loggains gets repeat opportunities to do whatever he pretends to do, you know there are serious glass ceiling issues for these guys

That's a good point I think. Todd Bowles got anther shot partly because he's a good DC but pretty sure it was a buddy of him that got him picked up. Not the only or governing factor but a good observation.

• Upvote 1

Hiring coaches with better resumes and that make perfect sense is not always the way to go.  Bowles seemed like a pretty good hire at the time.  Turns out that he blows.  Sometimes these younger guys that are obviously being groomed by some high level rabbi have something other guys, particularly ex-players don't.  This is probably an attempt to get the guy early.  He isn't that far removed from Mangini.  John Harbaugh's resume is longer, but is it really better?

That being said, my conspiracy theory was that he is a placeholder while they tamper for Belichick. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hiring coaches with better resumes and that make perfect sense is not always the way to go.  Bowles seemed like a pretty good hire at the time.  Turns out that he blows.  Sometimes these younger guys that are obviously being groomed by some high level rabbi have something other guys, particularly ex-players don't.  This is probably an attempt to get the guy early.  He isn't that far removed from Mangini.  John Harbaugh's resume is longer, but is it really better?

That being said, my conspiracy theory was that he is a placeholder while they tamper for Belichick. 

Wouldn't doubt this at all. Beliprick goes to the NYG and McDaniels takes over as HC in NE.

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

In YOUR opinion. Maybe he sucks at interviewing. I've known brilliant people who were well qualified but never got the promotions because they were a lousy interview.

Agreed.  But it's even deeper IMO. Being a great carpenter doesn't make you qualified to run a construction firm.  A great book called The E Myth addresses this. Most restaurants fail because the owner is a great chef. Knows nothing about business.  In an interview... guys like this will be exposed in under 5 minutes.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Del Rio seems like a strange choice to compare to Dungy as different than Marv Lewis.  I think Jags fans think of Del Rio very much like Bengals fans see Lewis.  He was coach there for 9 years and had 3 winning records - only 1 in his last six years.  He was 6-10 with two four game losing streaks his last year in Oakland. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Um, Kris Richard just got fired. Because his Defense underperformed.  And Jim Caldwell is a joke, along with the rule. 

Bowles wasn't horrible, but he was saddled with a terrible GM, and his catatonic demeanor on game day was a terrible look. He'll get another shot. Marvin Lewis got over a decade, and probably was retained  about 3 years too long. 

Eric Bienemy and Byron Leftwich will both get shots. But Matt Rhule for $10M a year for 7 years? LOL Wut?

And the guy who worked for Bellichick? Really, Giants? 

The underlying problem is stupidity,  not racism. 

I have never really paid attention to NFL coaching trends too much.  But I mean, for one thing, I dont understand  them.  A guy once told me a story, his friend was a high school coach (and a damn good one) in the Bay Area.  For 20 years, every year his friend would apply to be an intern with the SF Niners (And this is even when they sucked in the 70's!) But he never got so much as a sniff at a job.  Yet the whole reason this guy even tried was because just being an intern on an NFL team is a game changer.  Salary wise.  He wasnt even interested in his overall career ambitions.  But that I think that signifies the un-assailable edifice that is NFL coaching.  That gateway is so closely guarded, so secretly coded... it just leaves so many potential people out in the cold. 

What starts the process to become a head coach?   Did you play in the NFL?  That checks one.  What school did you play for?  That checks one.   What coaching tree?  That REALLY looks good.  Kliff Kingsbury literally got a head job because of that.  But with a industry of so few openings, so much turnover... it understandable that no clear path logical path for promotion would exist.  That teams would make stupid choices because candidates got this imaginary desirability.  sh*t.  No wonder Gase is cocky.  Look at his career makeup?!  

But then...THAT CHIP KELLY... SO HOT RIGHT NOW!  

(Boom) Handed keys to the franchise and runs it into the ground.

It's not like some business where the hiring agent has a distinct position that require a certain skillset and he's grabbing from a labor poll that is very super competitive.  It's more like show biz.  There's only ___ many jobs.  And everybody is the entry door trying to guess the secret password for admittance... but nobody knows what the hell it is.  You can institute a rule that you think will help but the whole time it just protects the owners from potential litigation.  If this business was more like a business and less about trends and rich guys going on a hunch... then maybe we'd see chances taken on candidates who seem like logical choices.  

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

Kris Richard should’ve been our head coach, but because dumb fans wanted an offensive mind we got Gase and his 32nd ranked offense. You need a leader of men. Not someone who only works with one side of the ball and is trash at doing that. Richard/Caldwell should’ve been the two coaches we really looked at. Bieniemy would’ve been option number 3. I will scream this when Gase is fired next season. I only bring this up because Jets interviewed Richard/Bieniemy/Caldwell and passed on all of them. The Rooney rule is a joke. 

The Jets at least have a history of hiring black coaches, some of the other teams never had.

I also think some of the problem is what they mentioned.  How many big college programs have minority head coaches?   How many staffs have minority OCs or DCs?   

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

68 % of the NFL are black players (28 % white, 4 % Asian/Hispanic).  Yet 12 % of the head coaches are black.  That's not proportional when you consider most NFL HC's were former players.

I'm not saying the NFL needs to have 68 % black coaches.  But 12 % is far too low.  And take a look at the # of OC's and QB Coaches that are black/minority.  That's a big part of the problem too.

I dont agree. 

Smart companies dont build their staff based off of % of racial demographics. They hire the best people they believe will get the job done.

You cant base head coaching % off player %. Just because you were a player doesnt mean you would be a great coach. There is no realm where that makes for an intelligent argument. You could just as easily flip that and wonder why the NFL is being racist towards white/latino/asian players.. would that make any sense to argue?...

...No it would not.

There are multitudes of different factors that can come in to play when hiring someone for a position, I do this for a living. The main 3 are, 

- Experience/Education

- Personality. 

- Potential. 

Maybe the minority coaches just didnt interview well. Maybe their personalities didnt mesh. I could go on and on. But just because a minority didnt get hired, doesnt mean there is an issue. 

If Mike Tomlin became available or if Tony Dungy came out of retirement, they would have been the top 2 candidates this year hands down, and we wouldnt even be having this conversation. 

You think owners give two sh*ts what color skin their coach is if he truly believes he is going to win the Super Bowl? Maybe 1 or 2 owners I'm sure. But if you think the majority think that way, you are incorrect. 

The media just loves to tell us what to think, and that is the case here. 

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, BrickzNY said:

And guess what? The OC that helped make that happen isn’t even being considered for a HC job. But last year, Monken who had Winston/ Fitzpatrick playing great, was considered for HC jobs all around, even the Jets. That is the difference. And if you don’t see it, then you never will. 

I think Monken was getting Due Diligence interviews based on his 12 years as an NFL coach and extensive time prior to that in College Coaching.  

Leftwich hasn't been coaching as long, but in a year or two, I think he definitely gets interviews and should get hired provided he doesn't crash and burn.

Look at Schottenheimer.  Been an OC and QB coach for going on 2 decades now. Hes had I think 1 round of interviews.  

I'd take him OR Bienemy over the guy Gettleman and Mara hired. 

As I said, so much of the problem is just stupidity. 

43 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This will undoubtedly rub some of you the wrong way I'm sure. I want everyone to know I'm just stating numbers you can find from the Census. 

American population is 12% black. 

NFL head coach population 12% are black.

The numbers fall right in line with the proportionate makeup of the population that each race populates. 

Technically, if you want to make an appropriate argument, Latinos are 16% of the population. So there should be more Latino coaches than black coaches.

Then factor in then sheer lack of Latinos that play football in general, and it's easy to see why these arent a represented properly. 

I think this is an important point.  The idea that because more than 50% of the NFL is comprised of black players doesn't necessarily mean a similar number should be Head Coaches.  Just like the fact that more than 80% of the coaches and GMs are white doesn't mean that 80% of the players in the League should be white.  The best players should play, the best coaches should coach.  Just because you can play doesn't mean you can coach, and it has nothing to do with race or even the sport they play.....look at Wayne Gretzky for crying out loud.  Best hockey player ever, horrible coach.  He was given a coaching opportunity because he was a great player, just like Mike Singletary was given a HC opportunity in San Francisco.

Numbers and averages are also a little bit tough to play with when there are only 32 of these jobs and only 5 opened this year.  I understand that no new minority candidates have been hired this year for HC jobs (Ron Rivera lost a job and then got one) but we also had no minority coaches fired this year.  While Jay Gruden, Pat Shurmur, Freddie Kitchens and Jason Garrett were all terminated (and rightfully so) a guy like Anthony Lynn was retained despite a 5 win season (again, I think keeping him was smart).  All this is to say that it's difficult to draw conclusions from small data sets, but I still believe that owners want to win and won't pass on the best coaching candidates simply because of race.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I would agree with this. The owners only priority is his teams and his businesses self interest. The issue is racial stereotyping and bias towards white people, whether conscious or not, with the assumption that he's the more qualified. People are still peddling racial IQ nonsense to this day. 

This was the issue with QB's and Centre's. Not that they weren't phsyically or technically as good - But the the underlying notion that they weren't mentally up to the task. As notion which has been completely destroyed in recent years by the performances of black QB's. They didn't just suddenly improve.  

To suggest the predominantly old white billionaires running things in the NFL haven't carried down some of this racial bias is astonishingly ignorant. A lot of them were born into a segregated country. 

Good post.  Would you say the Jets are more forward in this area than other teams?  They've hired multiple black head coaches (Herm Edwards, Bowles), have drafted black QBs (Geno Smith) and currently have a black starting Center (Harrison).

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think this is an important point.  The idea that because more than 50% of the NFL is comprised of black players doesn't necessarily mean a similar number should be Head Coaches.  Just like the fact that more than 80% of the coaches and GMs are white doesn't mean that 80% of the players in the League should be white.  The best players should play, the best coaches should coach.  Just because you can play doesn't mean you can coach, and it has nothing to do with race or even the sport they play.....look at Wayne Gretzky for crying out loud.  Best hockey player ever, horrible coach.  He was given a coaching opportunity because he was a great player, just like Mike Singletary was given a HC opportunity in San Francisco.

Numbers and averages are also a little bit tough to play with when there are only 32 of these jobs and only 5 opened this year.  I understand that no new minority candidates have been hired this year for HC jobs (Ron Rivera lost a job and then got one) but we also had no minority coaches fired this year.  While Jay Gruden, Pat Shurmur, Freddie Kitchens and Jason Garrett were all terminated (and rightfully so) a guy like Anthony Lynn was retained despite a 5 win season (again, I think keeping him was smart).  All this is to say that it's difficult to draw conclusions from small data sets, but I still believe that owners want to win and won't pass on the best coaching candidates simply because of race.

Very well said. 

58 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

55 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Exactly my point ! The owners want to win...bottom line. Dallas had 11 minority coaches on their staff this year. I'm sure each one was hired because they think they are the best candidate for their jobs and could help the team win..

11 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I dont agree. 

Smart companies dont build their staff based off of % of racial demographics. They hire the best people they believe will get the job done.

When you look at it this way, it's of course easy to dismiss racism in the hiring process.  But, if you're interested in another way of thinking about it, I'd urge you to consider that no one is suggesting that an NFL owner, or, any company owner, evaluates the prospects, and then determines that the minority candidate, real, or fictionalized in NYM's example, is the best candidate, and then doesn't hire them because of their minority status.  The suggestion of racial discrimination in the hiring process, again, NFL or otherwise, is that the hire-ers, have inherent biases for certain jobs.  In the NFL, the "thinking" jobs, that prevent them from viewing the minority candidate as the top candidate in the first place.  Institutional racism and this type of racial bias isn't overt - it's not the KKK, it's not lynching, and it's not conscious most of the time.  Additionally, it doesn't preclude anyone from having minority friends, loved ones, colleagues, or employees.  However, inherent biases do exist, and there's a mountain of actual research to back this up, to suggest that someone is not deciding against a candidate because of their minority status, but that their minority status is making it less likely to see the person as a viable candidate in the first place.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

This will undoubtedly rub some of you the wrong way I'm sure. I want everyone to know I'm just stating numbers you can find from the Census. 

American population is 12% black. 

NFL head coach population 12% are black.

The numbers fall right in line with the proportionate makeup of the population that each race populates. 

Technically, if you want to make an appropriate argument, Latinos are 16% of the population. So there should be more Latino coaches than black coaches.

Then factor in then sheer lack of Latinos that play football in general, and it's easy to see why these arent a represented properly. 

Problem with that is Latino is in it's own separate category because,  Latino is an ethnicity and not a race. Latinos can be Black, White, Brown, etc.

Ie. Brian Flores

GettyImages-1164741367-e1567786439545-10

Flores Panamanian so he technically is Latino. But just by looking at him, he's obviously Black. So he covers both

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think this is an important point.  The idea that because more than 50% of the NFL is comprised of black players doesn't necessarily mean a similar number should be Head Coaches. 

But, where do these coaches come from?  I don't have the data, but I imagine that most coaches come up from low level position coaches, and I imagine that low level position coaches are largely former players.  And former players, are largely black.  So, at some point there's a change in the data, the question becomes where that takes place.

• Upvote 1