Larry David told Jets GM to draft Lamar Jackson in 2018

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

More like "Draft Lamar Jackson AND make sure to have Greg Roman as your OC". 

Lamar Jackson would be considered a bust here under this regime because, just like how Adams doesnt want to change his offense to fit Bell...but would rather bitch about a receiving an all-world RB because he doesnt "fit his system"

<snip>

Adam Gase is a trash head coach. 

So you meant Adam?  I fully thought you were talking about Jamal.  I keep hearing that it is his team, I thought maybe he ran the offense.  He seemed pretty engaged during the game he didn't play.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/larry-david-lamar-jackson-jets/

Larry David Told The New York Jets To Draft Lamar Jackson And Their Response Was Predictably Jets-Like

by Eric Ital  3 hours ago

larry-david-jets.jpg?quality=90&w=650&h=

GETTY IMAGE

With his appearance, tone of voice, and general Larry Davidness, it can sometimes be difficult to take the legendary comedian seriously. After all, he’s made a living off of poking fun at bizarre everyday moments, so the line between real Larry David and television Larry David can sometimes get blurred.

But while Larry David the comedian and Larry David the real person can usually seem to be one in the same, the fact is that the real Larry David does regular guy things like the rest of us, such as root for wildly underachieving sports franchises.

Born in Brooklyn, New York City in the late 1940s, David, unfortunately, got stuck with the life-long affliction that is known as being a New York Jets fan. I would know, as I suffer from the same disease. The difference between Larry and I, though, is that he’s got enough fame and influence to actually rub elbows with the decision-makers of the New York Jets, and like any decent New Yorker, he had tried to use that influence to help the team.

Appearing on the Michael Kay Show on ESPN 98.7 FM, the 72-year-old Seinfeld creator claimed that back when Lamar Jackson was entering the National Football League, David told then Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan that the team should draft him. And according to David, the now-fired Jets GM responded “condescendingly” and laughed him off the phone. Funnily enough, Maccagnan was fired earlier this year.

Put it this way: when the guy who invented Curb Your Enthusiasm has a better read on league-changing draft prospects than the man in charge of bringing in players, then you have a serious problem. New York Jets football, baby!

ezgif-6-0195b21b26fd.gif?w=754&h=331

• Sympathy 1

There were plenty of people posting on this board that Lamar would be the more "electric" Qb of the group because of his play style. The concerns were longevity and how would Jackson develop and could he hold up playing that style. Most don't, we will see. 

Who cares what Larry David has to say anyway

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

34 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

While Larry’s instincts on Lamar as a player were good, unfortunately he would be horrible if we drafted him.

Lamar Jackson is so good (at this current point in his career), this team wouldn't be a SB contender instantly but they'd be more successful early than with Darnold 

Will 8 be able to play this way forever? I tend to believe someone eventually catches the running QB and it's not pretty when it happens. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Will Darnold ever be MVP of the league?  Will Darnold ever lead the Jets to the #1 overall seed in the AFC? He's got a pretty high bar to climb.

He does, and he probably won’t ever do those things.

But-  give me five years anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He does, and he probably won’t ever do those things.

But-  give me five years anyway. 

As long as you promise that in five years when we call you out on this you don’t respond with something like “Really? Beating a dead horse over an obvious settled point like Lamar Jackson is a good QB? LOL!”

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you imagine Lamar Jackson in Adam Gase's O?

It's like thing nightmares are made of. 

OK, Lamar, we don't want you to run or roll out. Nothing designed like that. Just take a 5 or 7 step drop. You'll be fine.  

the Jets couldn't run RPO to the left side because of Darnold's broken thumb

which kind of hurts any kind of RPO you try to run 

Gase would have run the same garbage RPO pistol or whatever, the difference is LJ would run it designed. 

obviously the supporting casts are way different but speed kills and I haven't seen a player this field fast since Mike Vick. he's 8 and that's 7+1  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not as good as he would be in Baltimore?  Of course.

HORRIBLE?  Absolutely not.  He'd at minimum be an above average QB here.

But we are the “defeatist SOJF negative losers” for suggesting drafting good players would improve the team.

Real fans argue it is all irrelevant and pointless to criticize because anyone we drafted would’ve been ruined anyway.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jgb said:

But we are the “defeatist SOJF negative losers” for suggesting drafting good players would improve the team.

If we drafted Josh Rosen, pining away writing desperate love letters for Lamar Jackson would be marginally appropriate.

We drafted Sam Darnold.  He's a better quarterback than Lamar Jackson. 

If you wanted a running back, if you wanted Brad Smith II, different story.  You've got Sam.  You've got nothing to complain about.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

If we drafted Josh Rosen, pining away writing desperate love letters for Lamar Jackson would be marginally appropriate.

We drafted Sam Darnold.  He's a better quarterback than Lamar Jackson. 

If you wanted a running back, if you wanted Brad Smith II, different story.  You've got Sam.  You've got nothing to complain about.

SAR I

The only thing I know about Sam is that we don’t think he sucks. Better than Lamar? You should try to wear quieter footwear when trolling.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

While Larry’s instincts on Lamar as a player were good, unfortunately he would be horrible if we drafted him.

He’s on one of the best teams, top to bottom, front office, coaching, roster. We wouldn’t have had the structure or roster to help Lamar succeed. He needs a very specific system that obviously works well. We wouldn’t have had the OL, run game, or coaching to foster that.

Darnold hasn't exactly lit the world on fire here and everyone says it's because we don't have the OL, run game, or coaching to foster success, so I'm not really seeing the difference

• Upvote 1

The Jets are not innovating when it comes to offensive coaching.   Ending up with Darnold was the right place for the Jets, given who they are.  The Bowles/Morton/Bates/Gase with Mac buying the groceries were not building a team in which Mahomes/Watson/Josh Allen/Jackson was going to be successful in.  If the Jets have any of those QBs instead they would have played much worse than they have looked on their respective teams.  

Darnold has ended his first two seasons like a real, respectable NFL QB.   He can be much better if he had a better overall supporting cast.  But as I have said before, if we want a potential trajectory of where he is heading, I would say Matthew Stanford.  Traditional QB, bad team, carousel of coaches, large bank account, trying to build and rebuild a team while paying a QB a large contract.   The Jets have squandered their Darnold rookie contract.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

More like "Draft Lamar Jackson AND make sure to have Greg Roman as your OC". 

Lamar Jackson would be considered a bust here under this regime because, just like how Adam doesnt want to change his offense to fit Bell...but would rather bitch about receiving an all-world RB because he doesnt "fit his system", Lamar Jackson wouldnt be doing anything like what he's doing in Baltimore because our coaching staff believes that the talent should conform to their system and not the other way around. 

One again, that's how you squander talent. 

You can book this. Folks are very excited because of the 2nd half record that Gase had, completely throwing out of the window that it was against the bottom feeders of the league. Folks are going to use that for their excitement going into next season and  Gase is going to be exposed for the coach that he always was, a bad HC who squanders talent for the sake of maintaining some offensive scheme that has won NOTHING IN THIS LEAGUE. 

Im glad Lamar Jackson didnt have the misfortune to be drafted by this terrible franchise. 

He went to a coach who understands talent. He didnt try to give Lamar Jackson the offensive scheme of Joe Flacco. They sat him for a season and gave him packages to work with, then when they let Flacco walk they gave him his own offensive scheme tailored to him. And now the league doesnt even know how to freaking stop this kid and are running scared half to death.

Adam Gase is a trash head coach. 

Adam gase would be dreaming of Luke falk with lamar was on our team. Could you imagine lamar in our system good god. What a waste. Lamar is without doubt in great shape and has ton of talent. Much like darnold bell and our whole off, gase woudl waste it.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Adam gase would be dreaming of Luke falk with lamar was on our team. Could you imagine lamar in our system good god. What a waste. Lamar is without doubt in great shape and has ton of talent. Much like darnold bell and our whole off, gase woudl waste it.

Im glad that he ended up in a great situation so we're able to enjoy what he's capable of. There are alot of talent in this league that gets flushed down the toilet by terrible franchises. 

I remember just this past weekend when watching the Saints/Vikings game how we were all talking about how Demario Davis is a 1st team All Pro.

This is a guy who was drafted by Rex Ryan and compared him to a young Ray Lewis. Now granted, he's not legendary to that degree, but in terms of potential Rex was right on the money. Imagine what Davis career would have been had he not been drafted by the Jets then sent to the Browns and then sent back to the Jets over his first 6 years in the league.

And dont get me wrong, it wasnt like he was bad, we all seen what he was capable of when he came back to the Jets in 2017 only for Macc to let the man walk out the door a 2nd time. 

He goes to a team with talent, a winning spirit and much better head coaching and he went from being on the cusp of being a probowler, to being a 1st team all pro, essentially saying that you're a top 3 player at your position in the entire league. 

Lamar Jackson wouldnt be MVP of this league as a Jet, he wouldnt be a probowler either. We'd be having constant conversation about how "Macc traded up to the 3rd spot giving up multiple 2nd rounders in order to draft a runningback". 

Just look at how this offseason went. Until shown otherwise, I for damn sure cannot say with a straight face that I trust ownership or the folks that ownership has either hired or allowed to be hired because everyone hired was hired through some ridiculous level of dysfunctional desperation.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if we drafted defense in the 1st round lol. 

• Upvote 2