Greg Williams And The Magic Wand

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Adams is the most overrated player in the league.

Now on to the rest of your post.  What do you propose?  We only have so many resources. 

We have 4 picks in the 1st three rounds.

Our offense was dead last in the league.

the oline was about the worst in the league.

QB is the most important position on the team.

We have favoured the defense for over a decade.

So trade Adams? Build the offense? How about a balanced team? Why trade our good players for a maybe? How about the front office finally do their jobs!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Douglas made some great pickups on the waiver wire and in promoting from the practice squad some key rookie FAs.  I dont know why the hell somebody hasn't written an article about it.  

I'd be really interested to know who the key additions JD made because I can't seem to think of any

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'd be really interested to know who the key additions JD made because I can't seem to think of any

Yeah guys got hurt and JD promoted practice squad players to fill the roster spots. Give the man a medal!

5 minutes ago, jetsjets said:

So trade Adams? Build the offense? How about a balanced team? Why trade our good players for a maybe? How about the front office finally do their jobs!

If the offer was good enough I'd for sure trade adams, but only if it is a great offer.

He isn't going to get traded though so no fears for his fans

Well in today’s game you must be able to light up the scoreboard. Seems Jets best chance to do that is vastly improve the offensive line - at least from a personnel perspective. 

Defensively, IMO the priority should be building a dominant pass rush (easier said than done - premier pass rushers are at a premium). Super Bowl participants almost always seem to possess a potent pass rush. 

I’d be intrigued to see what a 2020 Jets team could do with a road-grading o line and juiced-up pass rush. 

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Adams is the most overrated player in the league.  I COMPLETELY DISAGREE

Now on to the rest of your post.  What do you propose?  We only have so many resources.   AS i STATED, TWO NEW CORNERS AND AN OLB

Our offense was dead last in the league.  YES, IT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT BUT NOT AT THE TOTAL EXPENSE OF THE DEFENSE

the oline was about the worst in the league.  YES IT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT BUT NOT AT THE TOTAL EXPENSE OF THE DEFENSE

QB is the most important position on the team.  AND YOUR POINT IS?  DEFENSE PLAYS A CRITICAL PART OF THE TEAM'S SUCCESS TOO.

We have favoured the defense for over a decade.  AND YOUR POINT IS?  SO THE DRAFTING OF PLAYERS HAS BEEN HORRIBLE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.  THAT DOESN'T MEAN TO IGNORE HALF YOUR TEAM.

• Post of the Week 1

The defense was statistically a top 10 defense and our offense was dead last in 2019.  The vast majority of resources (draft picks and FA money) need to be dedicated to improving the offense in 2020.  With a middle of the road offense in 2019, despite all of the disastrous injuries, the Jets would have likely been a playoff team.  

58 minutes ago, nico002 said:

We are adding CJ Mosley, Avery Williamson, and an improved QW to the defense

Mosley, yes. If he stays healthy. Williamson likely is a cap casualty with the likes of Cashman and others playing fine when he was gone. And QW would have to take a massive leap to not only improve, but guarantee himself playing time. There are less heralded guys on the line who played better. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Mosley, yes. If he stays healthy. Williamson likely is a cap casualty with the likes of Cashman and others playing fine when he was gone. And QW would have to take a massive leap to not only improve, but guarantee himself playing time. There are less heralded guys on the line who played better. 

That's true but let's not lose site of the fact that in 2019 Fotukasi and Sheppard contributed even less than Q did in 2020.  The point being that there is still much hope for Williams.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Douglas made some great pickups on the waiver wire and in promoting from the practice squad some key rookie FAs.  I dont know why the hell somebody hasn't written an article about it.  

Please name some names because I am coming up blank

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

To the OP's point, Lamar Jackson threw for 5 TDs in Adams absence and ran for another 86.  Maye looked pretty bad in that one.  I think the emphasis should be offense, but this team needs talent almost everywhere, and outside defenders are certainly high on that list. 

Absolutely true.  I shudder to think what the Rams, Niners and Seahawks would do to this defense next year without upgrades.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Adams is the most overrated player in the league.

Now on to the rest of your post.  What do you propose?  We only have so many resources. 

Our offense was dead last in the league.

the oline was about the worst in the league.

QB is the most important position on the team.

We have favoured the defense for over a decade.

OT, WR, Edge, OG.....first 4 picks.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Many posters believe that the 2020 Jets don't need any help on defense.  They firmly believe that Greg Williams can make do with whatever resources he has.  That's simply not true.  He indeed did a remarkable job in 2019 with a bunch of nobodies at corner and LB but weak competition had something to do with that.  How much?  Who knows!  But those who want to trade Adams because whatever Williams has he will adjust accordingly.  Nonsense!  Adams (and Maye) held that secondary together and without the Prez, the results would have been terrible.

Douglas is smart enough to realize that his team needs two new corners and an outside LB threat AND needs to keep both safeties intact in order to improve the team overall.  All this 'only offense is needed in 2020' is just plain stupid.

im exctied to see what the roster looks like and getting our healthy players back. I think the Def will be much better next year. top 10 for sure if we can average more than 7 pts a game.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

OT, WR, Edge, OG.....first 4 picks.

I know that Maccagnan made it a dirty phrase, but I am all about Best Available Player.  I think that deciding the positions before the draft ******* blows.  That is how you end up with sh*t like Erik Flowers.  Free agency is to fill holes.  The draft is to get players.  Yes, need and positional value play a part, but the actual grading of the players is way more important. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know that Maccagnan made it a dirty phrase, but I am all about Best Available Player.  I think that deciding the positions before the draft ******* blows.  That is how you end up with sh*t like Erik Flowers.  Free agency is to fill holes.  The draft is to get players.  Yes, need and positional value play a part, but the actual grading of the players is way more important. 

It has to be BPA in the context of need.  I don't know if that's 70%/30% or 90%/10% but philosophically for me it means when you're on the clock you look at the 2, 3 or 4 players who you have next on your board and if similarly graded you pick the one who fills a need.  Here's the perfect example IMO.....Last year, the Jets on the clock at #3.  They may have had Quinnen Williams at #2 on their Board and perhaps Josh Allen at #4.....I would have taken Allen because of the Jets dire need for an outside pass rusher.  It's a need that still exists today and should be addressed in this coming Draft because we didn't do anything about it last year.  Josh Allen was a Top 5 talent who nobody (except Macc) would argue about taking at #3.

Grading prospects is such an in-exact science that you shouldn't even trust your own Draft Board blindly.  Can anyone guarantee with even 60% accuracy that the guy they rank at #50 is going to be better than the guy they have at #52?  When you have players in the same area, the same tier, with similar grades, etc. use need to make the decision.  JMHO.

• Upvote 3

You avoided all the points i made other than to say some nebulous, oh yeah but we can't ignore defense!

We have NO OLINE

We have almost no good weapons on offense.

Our offense was dead last.

We need help everywhere, we do need CBs, we do need pass rushers. 

If it is even a close decision between two players we need to go offense.

Many posters believe that the 2020 Jets don't need any help on defense.  They firmly believe that Greg Williams can make do with whatever resources he has.  That's simply not true.  He indeed did a remarkable job in 2019 with a bunch of nobodies at corner and LB but weak competition had something to do with that.  How much?  Who knows!  But those who want to trade Adams because whatever Williams has he will adjust accordingly.  Nonsense!  Adams (and Maye) held that secondary together and without the Prez, the results would have been terrible.

Douglas is smart enough to realize that his team needs two new corners and an outside LB threat AND needs to keep both safeties intact in order to improve the team overall.  All this 'only offense is needed in 2020' is just plain stupid.

No, you're right. Look no further than the Ravens game. How'd the D look there?. We gave up over 40 points and how many yards and in scoring 21 points had no chance to catch up. We need to build the team to compete with the big boys like that and not just expect to beat up the dregs of the league like NE and the Saints built up such good records doing this year. How far in the playoffs are they going?. Oh, yea they were both embarrassed by losing at home in the 1st round of the playoffs in which it was great Defensive efforts from the Titans and Vikings respectively that caused it. We need as you said to still build at Edge and CB, no if and or buts. Maulet and Bless can compete for the number 1 and 2 CB slots, but not just be penciled in as the starters being handed the jobs. We should via FA and the draft get at least 2 more starting level CBs if possible and resign Poole, who was our best corner going by his body of work the whole season and he is a slot corner, which should be your 3rd best CB.     

• Upvote 1