Transition to more of a 4-3 in 2020?

Anyone think that this FA period and Draft could be used to acquire some traditional 4-3 assets and transition to more of a 4-3 package?  I think Quinnen would benefit from being used as a true 3-technique guy and targeting someone like Ngakoue (a 246 lb true down DE) could help light up the pass rush from both the interior and outside.  Lots of other personnel considerations like playing Mosley at MLB (not a 3-4 ILB), and whether we have the outside LBs suited for the 4-3, but would this kind of approach make any sense?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Anyone think that this FA period and Draft could be used to acquire some traditional 4-3 assets and transition to more of a 4-3 package?  I think Quinnen would benefit from being used as a true 3-technique guy and targeting someone like Ngakoue (a 246 lb true down DE) could help light up the pass rush from both the interior and outside.  Lots of other personnel considerations like playing Mosley at MLB (not a 3-4 ILB), and whether we have the outside LBs suited for the 4-3, but would this kind of approach make any sense?

We just spent a year developing inside linebackers and they have Avery and Mosely coming back.  I think next year you will see the Todd Bowles defensive alignment come back:

2 - 5 - 4

When I said Bowles I was going to add it up to 12 men on the field but I will leave well enough alone.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We just spent a year developing inside linebackers and they have Avery and Mosely coming back.  I think next year you will see the Todd Bowles defensive alignment come back:

2 - 5 - 4

When I said Bowles I was going to add it up to 12 men on the field but I will leave well enough alone.  :)

Image result for todd bowles gifs

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We already did last year, problem is most people haven't even noticed it.

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

We already did last year, problem is most people haven't even noticed it.

I don’t think we did. Snap counts and alignments don’t really indicate the Jets moving heavily to a 4-3. We continue to deploy 280+ lb guys at DE and have more ILBs than I can count. 

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don’t think we did. Snap counts and alignments don’t really indicate the Jets moving heavily to a 4-3. We continue to deploy 280+ lb guys at DE and have more ILBs than I can count. 

If you looked at our alignments before the snap last year you would see that we ran more 4-3 looks rather than 3-4 looks. Some teams we played more 3-4 but overall we were more of a 4-3 team. Quinnen Williams also played a lot of snaps last year as a three tech.  

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

However, if it’s on the first play of the game and results in a panic timeout, it’s classified as a “Rex.”

• Upvote 1