Sign in to follow this  
jetstream23

Nick Harris, C, Washington (2nd - 4th Round target?)

106028398_ScreenShot2020-01-08at3_34_39PM.png.e99357b5c7343f3f36ef0668811a617c.png

Run Blocking - Shines as a positional blocker, taking advantage of angles and working laterally to widen gaps. Won’t be confused as a road grader but he can great space, seal lanes and he’s highly effective combo blocking to the second level. Feet can get left behind when working his hips around and he must become more deliberate about keeping them engaged. 

Pass Blocking - Love his ability to slide his feet and stay square but his anchor is hit or miss. Best when uncovered and he can use his awareness to help and slide. Alignments where he has to fan wide and reach set points present some challenges. Has to work overtime to anchor against dynamic speed to power converters. 

Blocking in Space - Dynamic worker on the move. Explosive getting to the second level and sealing pursuit. Executes with terrific timing, plays under control and consistently connects with moving targets. Getting him on the move should be a big part of what he’s asked to do in the NFL which should expand the scheme. 

Power - Powerful core that enables him to torque his hips and redirect. I wouldn’t call his anchor soft but there are plenty of instances where it takes some extra effort to maintain the depth of the pocket. More of a positional blocker in the run game. 

IQ - Three-year starter with experience at both guard and center and it shows. Love his alertness in pass protection which shines when he is uncovered. Always arrives on schedule with combos and getting into space. 

Feet - Has impressive foot speed and mobility. Explosive worker climbing to the second level or getting to the perimeter. Maintains a wide base and it doesn’t narrow. Needs to be more intentional about moving his feet when engaged in the run game so they don’t get out of sync with his upper body. 

Hands - Has enough pop in his punches and his timing/variance is sound. With that said, his lack of length presents some challenges with opponents being able to work into his frame. 

Balance - Has natural leverage which helps him maintain balance. While his feet can get left behind a touch in the run game, he doesn’t fold at the waste or get sloppy with weight distribution in pass pro. 

Versatility - Has considerable experience playing both guard and center but his best fit in the NFL comes as a center. Effective blocker in all phases, but particularly outstanding working on the move. Not a candidate for gap-power run schemes. 

BEST TRAIT - Blocking in Space

WORST TRAIT - Length

RED FLAGS - None

NFL COMP - Rodney Hudson

Starting over 40 games with experience at both guard and center, Harris projects best to playing center in the NFL where he will see less situations where he is covered. For a team in search of an athletic center that thrives pulling and climbing to the second level while employing a zone run scheme, Harris is an exciting option. While he isn’t the most physically dominant run blocker and his anchor can be compromised in pass protection, Harris is highly competitive, technically-sound and his functional mobility is impressive. He may be a scheme-specific prospect, but he has the makings of a plus starter in the right offense. 

From... https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/nick-harris/X8IsKaod6J

Could be a Guard or Center, slightly undersized and not physically dominant but smart, mobile and a potentially good option since I'm thinking the Jets are going to be shut out of getting guys like Biadasz and Humphrey.

I get all the evaluations but watching this guy on film I just can't see how he will be able to handle NFL sized D-linemen. College tape often shows him giving up ground and getting pushed around in the pocket. yes, he is mobile and quick but I feel like he will be overwhelmed at the NFL level, especially as a pass protector. Late round prospect but I would pass and rather draft a guy like Cushenberry in Rd. 3.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Two questions...

1. Would he be an upgrade from Harrison?  Is it a significant upgrade?

2. Could he be available with the Jets 4th overall pick (second pick in Round 3)?

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Two questions...

1. Would he be an upgrade from Harrison?  Is it a significant upgrade?

2. Could he be available with the Jets 4th overall pick (second pick in Round 3)?

Great questions

1) He MIGHT be an upgrade at the C position long term.

2) He'll be available in the 4th round.

3) He'll be overwhelmed at the next level and is not worth the pick. 6th rounder. 

7 hours ago, RobR said:

Great questions

1) He MIGHT be an upgrade at the C position long term.

2) He'll be available in the 4th round.

3) He'll be overwhelmed at the next level and is not worth the pick. 6th rounder. 

My concern with him is entirely about his body. Is he maxed out? How much can he cover up his deficiencies in size with technique, speed and strength. I don’t see a strength issue with him especially when I see bigger guys fail to dominate the way he does. If his arm length and size cause him to drop that’s great because I think he’s a starting caliber talent.

Has anyone looked back in the last decade and researched if there have been successful starting Centers in the NFL at this guys size?  Just based off metrics alone, I can’t see him being a very high draft pick.  It will be interesting to see what he actually measures in at during the Senior Bowl.  Most schools tend to “exaggerate” some measurables.   

Also, I think people are going too crazy around here trying to force a center into this draft class for the Jets.  It doesn’t seem like a very good class, and I think people are vastly over-valuing some of these kids.   

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Has anyone looked back in the last decade and researched if there have been successful starting Centers in the NFL at this guys size?  Just based off metrics alone, I can’t see him being a very high draft pick.  It will be interesting to see what he actually measures in at during the Senior Bowl.  Most schools tend to “exaggerate” some measurables.   

Also, I think people are going too crazy around here trying to force a center into this draft class for the Jets.  It doesn’t seem like a very good class, and I think people are vastly over-valuing some of these kids.   

Yep. The best tape I’ve seen belongs to Nick Harris and he’s undraftable until the 4th round because of size. Biadesz has no reason to be in first round conversation.

22 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yep. The best tape I’ve seen belongs to Nick Harris and he’s undraftable until the 4th round because of size. Biadesz has no reason to be in first round conversation.

Didn't you also say in the Interior OL thread....

These are my favorite videos I’ve watched on Nick Harris. He’s my guy. He’s our next Hall of Fame Center. I might be overstating a little bit but this is a legitimate prospect and day 1 starter.

If anyone thinks he's potentially a "Hall of Fame Center" we should be taking him no later than the 2nd or 3rd round, right?

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Didn't you also say in the Interior OL thread....

If anyone thinks he's potentially a "Hall of Fame Center" we should be taking him no later than the 2nd or 3rd round, right?

I would. I have no money on it. As a real GM, it’s a huge risk to try and take a 6-1 center in the 2nd round. 

I think he’ll be something but I wouldn’t bet my career on it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I would. I have no money on it. As a real GM, it’s a huge risk to try and take a 6-1 center in the 2nd round. 

I think he’ll be something but I wouldn’t bet my career on it.

If the Jets want him I would pull the trigger with that second pick in Round 3 (the Jets' fourth overall pick).  By that point they've hopefully landed an OT and WR and the risk/reward on Harris becomes acceptable.

The concern obviously is that if he doesn't work out as a Center there's no place else to put him.  He'd definitely too small to be an OG.  With other guys who might be middle round Center prospects sometimes their deficiencies are their athleticism or they're lacking the mental aspects or snapping abilities.  If they don't work as Centers they can be tried as OGs.  That just doesn't seem to be an option for Harris so it could be a true boom/bust pick.