Amari Cooper

nico002

2 hours ago, JiF said:

If we signed Amari Cooper half way through the season half the board would be talking about how bad he is and how he lost a step and want to get rid of his contract ASAP because Jets fans dont like good Football players on their roster. 

I'll say this before we even get him.

He has disappeared for a full year in oakland and also failed to show up in some key games for Dallas.

Imo he would not be worth the cost of getting at all.  He's a risk.

And besides that no way Dallas lets him go.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I get the $18-20 million talk, but I'm trying to think of who has a worse WR corp than we do right now.  Would seem to me, based on the competition, that Cooper would be a fit here and maybe the price won't be as crazy as everyone thinks...

The only way the jets don’t have a horrible WR Corps next year is if we go heavy drafting WR.  Luckily it looks like a really good WR draft

And hopefully the jets do the smart thing for once and trade Adams for picks

14 hours ago, JiF said:

If we signed Amari Cooper half way through the season half the board would be talking about how bad he is and how he lost a step and want to get rid of his contract ASAP because Jets fans dont like good Football players on their roster. 

Amari Cooper hears Jets want to sign him for more money than other team be like...

9B88E7CE-1457-4BA9-89CB-0EE10C766AD5.gif

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Resign Demariyus Thomas to a one year $5 mil deal and draft Ceedee Lamb

You have to know a month and change before the draft that that's a possibility and not a guarantee.  That plan is gone if the WRs you're interested in are gone by the time you pick.

I really get the feeling we arent going to be big players in the first day of free agency.. I think people are going to be sorely disappointed when they see guys like scherff and conklin sign other places.  We'll definitely be active, but I think we'll be more active in the secondary market than that first wave. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets should be doing due diligence on every WR, CB, EDGE, and OL FA.

The OL is but the biggest need on a team full of needs.

This years got a lot of legit Edge rushers in F.A. So that need should be filled via F.A.

I take a serious look at Cooper in F.A, then I’d be spending most my draft capital on Oline and Corner.

Posters have for a while but what is he going to want $18/20 a year? Then do they still sign Anderson and Thomas? 

Exactly. He’s going to be seeking $17 per at absolute minimum id say. I would much rather sign Anderson for $12 and stick two premium pick rookies in there. In truth I don’t love cooper anyway. He’s definitely good but not worth what he’s going to want.

Signing cooper is a mistake unless it’s a super duper great price. And I don’t see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I really like Cooper but I find it hard to believe Gase would want someone making that kind of money when he isn't thrilled about having Bell. I would prefer to retain Robby pending the price, I could probably be talked into using the transition tag for one year on him even though it's $16m. Let him test the market and then we get the option of first refusal.
It really depends if we think we'll be able to sign enough FAs to use up all our money and what we want to do with Adams. I'd then take a WR early in this draft, Lamb, Jefferson, Gandy Golden are a few I've kept my eye one but need to look into more

Perfectly said. I’ll add that I do t think it’s a good look to allow a home grown kid on the ascend to leave only to turn around and throw $17-19 mil at a guy in FA. Granted they are not the same player but it’s the point it makes.

I would kick the tires on Cooper but ultimately would not be the team to make him the highest paid WR. Let the Lions do that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I really get the feeling we arent going to be big players in the first day of free agency.. I think people are going to be sorely disappointed when they see guys like scherff and conklin sign other places.  We'll definitely be active, but I think we'll be more active in the secondary market than that first wave. 

Good.  

19 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Known game changers, I sooner pick a cheap young Tackle, than pay a fortune for a washed up vet. Cooper is a true #1 and is only 26.

Agreed. Cooper is a special talent. An elite route runner that would make Darnold's life much easier. 

He is probably the only free agent worth big money this year.

We can address the oline via the draft and also sign a couple of average vets as depth. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Exactly. He’s going to be seeking $17 per at absolute minimum if say. I would much rather sign Anderson for $12 and stuck two premium pick rookies in there. In truth I don’t love cooper anyway. He’s definitely good but not worth what he’s going to want.

Signing cooper is a mistake unless it’s a super duper great price. And I don’t see that happening.

17 for Cooper>>>>>>12 million for Anderson.

I like Anderson but he's just good and fairly one dimensional. Cooper is elite. 

17 for Cooper>>>>>>12 million for Anderson.

I like Anderson but he's just good and fairly one dimensional. Cooper is elite. 

Hmmm. Why is it that I don’t see Cooper as elite? I like him but he’s not even on my radar for the top WR’s worth breaking the bank for

I’m going to fiddle around with some stars and comparisons later to try and get my head around this. As I stand now, paying cooper 17 per would be a big mistake.

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'll say this before we even get him.

He has disappeared for a full year in oakland and also failed to show up in some key games for Dallas.

Imo he would not be worth the cost of getting at all.  He's a risk.

And besides that no way Dallas lets him go.

Dallas is getting up on the cap, and still have to figure out what to pay Dak.

If they lose Amari, it's real bad, since they gave up first rounders to get him just 2 years ago.