Jump to content

The Bills enter the offseason with $88.5M in cap space


Jetsfan80
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Buffalo is NOT a better destination for skill position players. 

Good news there, because they have more of a need for O-Line than skill players.  Devin Singletary, John Brown and Cole Beasley aren't a terrible core of skill players currently.  They just need a WR2 and maybe a TE, which they can look for in the draft.

OL are fine with going to a cold-weather, run-heavy spot like Buffalo.  Mitch Morse, for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Got it!  You're just dropping that deep knowledge and educating the masses!

Preach on brother!  Let's bring everyone back and do it all over again! 

Not everybody.  I want to trade Jamal Adams and let Robby Anderson walk.  Bring back Jordan Jenkins, Brian Poole, and a few others.

 And there's this thing called the draft that I want us to focus on...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Winning and money trumps location. Every. Single.  Time.

Also:

 

Talk to me after you've looked into the history of FA signings with the Bills. 

Then compare that to both NY teams and the Florida market teams. Players are notorious for wanting to be in big markets for endorsements. 

But you wont do that because it shows you're wrong. 

We have historically sucked, but managed some of the best free agents, not just because of money, but its NY. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Buffalo is NOT a better destination for skill position players. 

Cole Beasley and John Brown had career years in Buffalo when you account for them not playing in week 17.

Cole Beasley put up identical numbers to Jamison Crowder in YPG and they had the same amount of TDs. John Brown did a whole lot more than Robbie.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Jets fans:  "The Cap keeps going up, we'll have plenty of space!"  Ignoring that the cap goes up for everybody, not just the Jets.  

Or Jets fans:  Everyone else will manage the cap better than us.  The Bills and the Packers for ex.  

Because their recent history says they can, it inspires confidence?  

And why do we care about either team, we need to get our house in order and not worry about the Bills.  Makes no difference that they have a little more money available than we do to spend on FA

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or Jets fans:  Everyone else will manage the cap better than us.  The Bills and the Packers for ex.  

Because their recent history says they can, it inspires confidence?  

And what do we care about either team, we need to get our house in order and not worry about the Bills.  Makes no difference that they have a little more money available than we do to spend on FA

Agreed. 

Our very own team has proven time and again it doesnt matter how much or little you spend. Its who you spend it on (for better or worse lol)

These are the most notable FA signings for each team of all time. I would say we have always had an edge, no matter how good or bad we or the Bills are. 

Bills
Doug Flutie
Sam Gash
Terrel Owens
James Lofton
Ted Washington
Mario Williams
London Fletcher
Takeo Spikes
Steven Hauschka

Jets
Leveon Bell
Eric Decker
Ladanian Tomlinson
Bart Scott
Alan Faneca
Nick Folk
Damien Woody
Vinny Testeverde
Victor Green
Calvin Pace
Brandon Moore
Curtis Martin
Kevin Mawae

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pegulas started out as owners pretty bad, and rivaled the Johnsons, Haslams, and Snyders in their ineptitude.  But something happened with them, and in hiring Bean and McDermott they appear to have gotten their act together and are doing the right things.  

Last off season they signed a large number of medium FAs instead of going crazy on first/second day types.  And they have drafted well.  They made the playoffs.   In Josh Allen I think they have a QB who gives opponents problems during the regular season but loses in the playoffs.  We shall see.   The game changes a bit when you have to pay Allen $20mm and not $6mm.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hamat711 said:

Cole Beasley and John Brown had career years in Buffalo when you account for them not playing in week 17.

Cole Beasley put up identical numbers to Jamison Crowder in YPG and they had the same amount of TDs. John Brown did a whole lot more than Robbie.

Beasley has excellent chemistry with Allen true

 

I still think the crowder signing was one of the best moves we made in recent years

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During the Houston v Buffalo broadcast (before the 3rd quarter implosion by the Bills), they were mentioning that part of the off-season strategy last year for the Bills was to have veteran leadership at every position group.  They had re-signed Alexander to keep that leadership on the defensive side, brought in Gore (drafted Singletary), re-vamped their o-line with veterans while drafting Cody Ford.  Some of those guys were not part of the long-term goals but provided much needed  leadership in the locker room.  They also went out and got Josh Allen some help by signing Beasley and Brown, drafting Knox and Singletary, and adding more talent to their offensive line.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Pegulas started out as owners pretty bad, and rivaled the Johnsons, Haslams, and Snyders in their ineptitude.  But something happened with them, and in hiring Bean and McDermott they appear to have gotten their act together and are doing the right things.  

Last off season they signed a large number of medium FAs instead of going crazy on first/second day types.  And they have drafted well.  They made the playoffs.   In Josh Allen I think they have a QB who gives opponents problems during the regular season but loses in the playoffs.  We shall see.   The game changes a bit when you have to pay Allen $20mm and not $6mm.  

The Pegulas actually care about winning.  Kim Pegula seems like a nice lady and even brings baked cookies to tailgaters.

 

Can you see Trust fund baby Woody or Chrissy doing that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, nyjbuddy said:

During the Houston v Buffalo broadcast (before the 3rd quarter implosion by the Bills), they were mentioning that part of the off-season strategy last year for the Bills was to have veteran leadership at every position group.  They had re-signed Alexander to keep that leadership on the defensive side, brought in Gore (drafted Singletary), re-vamped their o-line with veterans while drafting Cody Ford.  Some of those guys were not part of the long-term goals but provided much needed  leadership in the locker room.  They also went out and got Josh Allen some help by signing Beasley and Brown, drafting Knox and Singletary, and adding more talent to their offensive line.

Also signed Morse and Nsekhe to fortify the OL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been preaching this. The Jets are going to need to focus on their own FAs and build through the draft.
A lot of teams have a lot of money so players will have better options than us.

Ya know something? I am starting to think it might be better if we do lose out on most of the FA out there. Signing our own guys and building primarily through the draft would really settle things down a bit.

Making a few guys the priority and getting it done like say Jack Conklin and Bradberry etc. Would be the way to go. One or two and then allow the other teams to partake in the high priced feeding frenzy.

I think JD did a quality job sifting through the bargain bin as well last year with guys like Griffin, Maulet and Hairston. That could be a better way to go. Grab Conklin and move on to the 2nd and third tier.
Then make the draft the big priority going largely offense.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Talk to me after you've looked into the history of FA signings with the Bills. 

Up until lately, they haven't been winning.  This is only their 2nd playoff appearance since 1999.  

Now that they're establishing themselves as a contender, and simultaneously the Patriots are on the cusp of not winning the division for the first time since 2002, we'll see if that has an impact on their FA signings this offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

During the Houston v Buffalo broadcast (before the 3rd quarter implosion by the Bills), they were mentioning that part of the off-season strategy last year for the Bills was to have veteran leadership at every position group.  They had re-signed Alexander to keep that leadership on the defensive side, brought in Gore (drafted Singletary), re-vamped their o-line with veterans while drafting Cody Ford.  Some of those guys were not part of the long-term goals but provided much needed  leadership in the locker room.  They also went out and got Josh Allen some help by signing Beasley and Brown, drafting Knox and Singletary, and adding more talent to their offensive line.

 

A front office with an actual plan and the ability to execute it.  I wonder what that's like. 

Hopefully Douglas is one of those types, and the Johnson's stop meddling.  Wishful thinking, I know, especially in regards to the meddling part...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Pegulas actually care about winning.  Kim Pegula seems like a nice lady and even brings baked cookies to tailgaters.

 

Can you see Trust fund baby Woody or Chrissy doing that?

I met Woody Johnson tailgating.  He used to walk through the lots, meet and talk to fans.  He asked what we wanted to see with regards to the team.

Don't remember Hess doing that.  Never heard of the Mara's or Tisch doing that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:


Ya know something? I am starting to think it might be better if we do lose out on most of the FA out there. Signing our own guys and building primarily through the draft would really settle things down a bit.

Making a few guys the priority and getting it done like say Jack Conklin and Bradberry etc. Would be the way to go. One or two and then allow the other teams to partake in the high priced feeding frenzy.

I think JD did a quality job sifting through the bargain bin as well last year with guys like Griffin, Maulet and Hairston. That could be a better way to go. Grab Conklin and move on to the 2nd and third tier.
Then make the draft the big priority going largely offense.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

My thinking exactly. I don't think we'll need to go crazy this year. Edge Rusher would be a nice grab in FA.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IndianaJet said:

It's amazing how much time and effort some Jets fans take to research, outline and detail all of the reasons why they hate the Jets and why other teams are better.

It doesn't take that much effort to prove the Jets suck.  This thread took me about 5 minutes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Up until lately, they haven't been winning.  This is only their 2nd playoff appearance since 1999.  

Now that they're establishing themselves as a contender, and simultaneously the Patriots are on the cusp of not winning the division for the first time since 2002, we'll see if that has an impact on their FA signings this offseason.

Money is the determining factor.  Only other case is with two teams making the same offers, then winning or location comes into play.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

It's amazing how much time and effort some Jets fans take to research, outline and detail all of the reasons why they hate the Jets and why other teams are better.

Yeah but most of them are...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Money is the determining factor.  Only other case is with two teams making the same offers, then winning or location comes into play.

 

Right.  And the Bills have more money and winning of late on their side. 

Location is a distant 3rd, at best.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...