The Bills enter the offseason with $88.5M in cap space

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

Personally, I think the bills have a nice roster and will make it better by improving their o line and WRers but this team won’t be a serious contender unless allen turns a corner. Allen looks like a decent QB when the bills have a lead and the bills can play conservative on offense. The moment the team needs him to carry the offense, he doesn’t look like an NFL QB. He looks so bad throwing the ball from the pocket. 

I swear, I think half you guys don't even watch football.

Allen led the Bills to 4 fourth quarter comeback wins this year.

This week has been pretty embarrassing already with all the critiques of new HC's, but this one, with you guys taking absurd shots at Allen takes the cake.

How about we wait until our QB gets in the playoffs before we rip other guys who do?

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In a previous thread, I brought up the notion that the Jets' seemingly great cap situation is deceptive.  After re-signing our own, our cap space will be, roughly, $25-40M.

The Bills, meanwhile, enter the offseason with $88.5M per overthecap.com.  Granted, they have a few of their own to re-sign.  But many of them are expendable:

Player Pos. 2019 Team 2020 Team Type Snaps Age Current APY Guarantees
Jordan Phillips 43DT Bills   UFA 52.1% 28 $4,500,000 $2,000,000
Lorenzo Alexander  (RETIRED) 43OLB Bills   UFA 47.6% 37 $3,750,000 $1,600,000
Kevin Johnson CB Bills   UFA 32.4% 28 $3,000,000 $400,000
Shaq Lawson 43DE Bills   UFA 46.2% 26 $2,569,744 $10,278,976
Quinton Spain LG Bills   UFA 99.5% 29 $2,050,000 $200,000
Frank Gore RB Bills   UFA 34.9% 37 $2,000,000 $500,000
LaAdrian Waddle LT Bills   UFA 0% 29 $2,000,000 $400,000
Julian Stanford ILB Bills   UFA 7.2% 30 $1,500,000 $550,000
Mo Alexander 43OLB Bills   UFA 6.9% 29 $1,000,000 $150,000
Corey Liuget 34DE Bills   UFA 17% 30 $930,000 $0
Kurt Coleman S Bills   UFA 6.7% 32 $930,000 $0
Senorise Perry RB Bills   UFA 0.8% 29 $720,000 $0
Dean Marlowe S Bills   RFA 10.3% 28 $600,000 $0
Isaiah McKenzie WR Bills   RFA 41.6% 25 $600,000 $0
Jason Croom TE Bills   ERFA 0% 26 $527,000 $0
Robert Foster WR Bills   ERFA 20.1% 26 $525,000 $0
Levi Wallace CB Bills   ERFA 76% 25 $525,000 $0

After they make decisions on the likes of Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain, and a few others, they'll still have probably double the cap space that we'll be left with. 

Clearly, UNCW grad GM Brandon Beane has done a terrific job at roster building.  And now he'll be able to enter free agency with a lot of funds to play with.  And much like us, the vast majority of their needs are on the offensive side of the ball, as they'll likely look to boost their Offensive Line and find another WR to support Josh Allen.  They could very easily be competing for the same types of free agents that we're looking for.

And unlike the Jets, they're going to be an attractive destination based on their recent success.  Granted, Buffalo is a tough geographical sell for a lot of free agents.  But winning trumps location in most cases.  

Why don't you just become a Bills fan? If they're so great and we MUST trade our very best player (according to you) just to have a chance at being competitive, why don't you just cut to the chase and change who you root for?

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Who they resigning that’s gonna cost a bunch? Jenkins?

Theyll save some when they cut Winters and Trumaine, and trade Jamal. 

Trading Jamal would cost them net cap space b/c all of his contract is dead money and so replacing him with an average starter would simply add to the bill for that slot.   We will have about 25-30 mil in net cap space, and that's with cutting most of the players that we can realistically cut, letting players walk that will want to much etc etc.

We simply have too many positions to sign in a pricey market, and too many bad contracts on the roster.  I mean realistically you are looking at 1 maybe 2 marquee signings that are possible and thats it, and theres going to be a lot of bleeding in good players that will leave (Poole, Anderson etc) so I suspect that this team will roughly be a sidegrade from the one in 2019 before the draft (we shall see how the draft improves us or not).

I'm pretty sure that at least one of those big FAs will have to be OL to stop the bleeding.  After that, its hard to see how the second big money FA won't be a decent backup qb.  Unfortunately they're really not cheap, and the fans are going to be pissed that we spend the money there, but after last years debacle I suspect the GM will think his jobs on the line if theres another Faulk level backup.

As for the rest, we will have to hope for multiple hometown discounts to even have a chance at paying for a CB1 or a WR1.

Who they resigning that’s gonna cost a bunch? Jenkins? Theyll save some when they cut Winters and Trumaine, and trade Jamal.     

If they choose to bring them back: Robby, Jenkins, Beachum, Brian Poole, Alex Lewis. That quintet would cost up to $35M against the cap in 2020, dropping our available cap space below $35M (even after cutting Winters and Trumaine).

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

And we were 6-9. I don't count the win against Buffalo's practice squad You would've loved 10-6 and a wild card loss this year. wouldn't you?

Can’t have it both ways. We had 7 wins they had 10. Half our team was practice players half the year 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:
Who they resigning that’s gonna cost a bunch? Jenkins? Theyll save some when they cut Winters and Trumaine, and trade Jamal.     

If they choose to bring them back: Robby, Jenkins, Beachum, Brian Poole, Alex Lewis. That quintet would cost up to $35M against the cap in 2020, dropping our available cap space below $35M (even after cutting Winters and Trumaine).

I would predict the following:

Robby-not signed. He would have been signed already.  The first or second round pick is likely a WR.  Good guy to have but not worth the money.  He ends up in the AFCE.  

Jenkins-not signed.  He would have been signed already.  The Jets will roll with who they have, transitioning to a 4-3.  They will draft an EDGE rds 1-3.  Good guy to have, but tough to pay him $10mm.  

Beachum-signed. Can't gamble with Darnold's health.  

Poole-will try to sign, but a coin flip.

Lewis-will try to sign, but a coin flip.  The Leo pick will be a guard.  

Winters and Trumaine are cut for a $10mm total savings.  I think they regret it but Williamson and Roberts will also be cut because they are not worth the money.   That is another $12mm.  Gregg will be asked to coach up the the defense again.

29 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Many of the bills (who made the playoffs for the first time in how long?) Are expendable. But one of the worst Jets teams in history has a problem where we have no money after we resign all of our must sign guys?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

This 7-9 Jets team was one of the worst Jets teams in history?

Seriously?

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

And we were 6-9. I don't count the win against Buffalo's practice squad You would've loved 10-6 and a wild card loss this year. wouldn't you?

Doesn't work that way.  Unless you want to make the Jets 6-5, .500 for the season for Darnold out with mono, Falk at QB, Mosley etc out for 4 games.  Kind of a practice squad led by a practice squad QB

I would predict the following:
Robby-not signed. He would have been signed already.  The first or second round pick is likely a WR.  Good guy to have but not worth the money.  He ends up in the AFCE.  
Jenkins-not signed.  He would have been signed already.  The Jets will roll with who they have, transitioning to a 4-3.  They will draft an EDGE rds 1-3.  Good guy to have, but tough to pay him $10mm.  
Beachum-signed. Can't gamble with Darnold's health.  
Poole-will try to sign, but a coin flip.
Lewis-will try to sign, but a coin flip.  The Leo pick will be a guard.  
Winters and Trumaine are cut for a $10mm total savings.  I think they regret it but Williamson and Roberts will also be cut because they are not worth the money.   That is another $12mm.  Gregg will be asked to coach up the the defense again.

I factored the Winters and Trumaine cuts into the equation when I was suggesting those cap numbers.

Robby and Jenkins not getting signed by now doesn’t do much to predict where they end up. Robby seems like a goner based on stuff he’s said publicly, but Jenkins hasn’t made a peep. It can go either way there.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Robby seems like a goner based on stuff he’s said publicly, but Jenkins hasn’t made a peep. It can go either way there.

Nothing is decided off of throw away lines to the press along the lines of what Robby has been quoted.