Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

Greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

• Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    • Freddie Mercury (Queen)
    • David Bowie
    • Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
    • John Lennon (The Beatles)
    • Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
    • Johnny Cash
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath)
    • Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Steve Perry (Journey)
    • Ann Wilson (Heart)
    • Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
    • Janis Joplin
    • Elton John
    • Honorable Mention Group (Specify in Thread): Pat Benatar, Bon Scott, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Karen Carpenter, Annie Lennox, Don Henley, Iggy Pop, James Taylor, John Fogerty, Gregg Allman, Lou Reed, Rod Stewart, Brian Wilson, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Winwood, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Peter Gabriel, Annie Haslam, Jon Anderson, Merry Clayton, John Wetton, Greg Lake, James Dewer, John Cafferty
    • OTHER - Specify in thread

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw him about 10 times on Dahhhn Kirshner's Rahhhhck Concert, which came on after SNL.  I sure didn't watch it after high school. 

Saw Prince four times over the years.  Equal parts rock, funk and gospel show.  Played guitar, bass, piano, drums and sang all at an insanely high level.  Prince's guitar ability would have impressed Hendrix while his vocals would have garnered James Brown's approval.  Also had absolutely kick ass musicians in his bands.  You walked out of those 3+ hour Prince shows just stunned/drained by what you had experienced.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Saw Prince four times over the years.  Equal parts rock, funk and gospel show.  Played guitar, bass, piano, drums and sang all at an insanely high level.  Prince's guitar ability would have impressed Hendrix while his vocals would have garnered James Brown's approval.  Also had absolutely kick ass musicians in his bands.  You walked out of those 3+ hour Prince shows just stunned/drained by what you had experienced.

I saw him a couple of times at the Garden.  He was never my thing, but always impressed.  Of course, the cover of Whole Lotta Love, which was more up my alley, but the guy sure could switch gears.  Teeny little fellow when you meet him, but I guess that is the other thread.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw him a couple of times at the Garden.  He was never my thing, but always impressed.  Of course, the cover of Whole Lotta Love, which was more up my alley, but the guy sure could switch gears.  Teeny little fellow when you meet him, but I guess that is the other thread.

Yeah, he was definitely a hand puppet in stature.  

37 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I listened to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway at the gym this morning. Gabriel is exquisite on that album. 

As was Hackett, Banks, Rutherford and Collins, all 5 at their very best

So did you like it because it has Lamb in the title or because you have great taste in music :)

Just kidding of course, but you do get my Hero of the Day Award for bringing this up. 

21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

As was Hackett, Banks, Rutherford and Collins, all 5 at their very best

So did you like it because it has Lamb in the title or because you have great taste in music :)

Just kidding of course, but you do get my Hero of the Day Award for bringing this up. 

Always been one of my favorite albums.  When I was ten my Aunt followed her husband to Abilene Texas   as he went into the Air force and its one of the dozen or so albums I sorta inherited from her because I grabbed them first.   She also left me a pair of those big old set of headphones and my appreciation grew to love for the album because it was truly a plug and play album. Every song told a story and my appreciation just grew for it as I got older. I still listen to it in its completion probably once a month. Last Genesis album I really liked because once Gabriel left so did I.

• Sympathy 2

As per Mr Webster’s:

Classic rock is a genre of music that combines a particular guitar-driven rock sound with a particular era of time. The classic rock era began in early 1960's with rock n' roll based bands like The Beatles and Rolling Stones, diversifying into bands like Led Zeppelin and The Doors.

1- John Lennon

2- Mick Jagger

3- Robert Plant

4- Freddie Mercury 

5-Greg Allman

good night

As per Mr Webster’s:
Classic rock is a genre of music that combines a particular guitar-driven rock sound with a particular era of time. The classic rock era began in early 1960's with rock n' roll based bands like The Beatles and Rolling Stones, diversifying into bands like Led Zeppelin and The Doors.

1- John Lennon
2- Mick Jagger
3- Robert Plant
4- Freddie Mercury 
5-Greg Allman

good night

Funny, if you turn your list the opposite 5-1 that would be my top 5.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

OMG do i have strong feelings on this.

before i begin, understand that i am a much better evaluator than you so please dont argue:

1. Ian gillan

2. dio

The above are the two greats. Like michael jordan and tyson. No debating. The next set can be shuffled:

3. Peter Gabriel

4. Mick jagger

5. jon anderson

6. robert plant

7. bono (sadly)

8. Bruce dickenson

9. jeoff tate

• Upvote 1

How is it even possible that we're on the 3rd page of this thread and has nobody mentioned Jeff Buckley?!  I mean, I realize his name isn't on the list and is outside the range of years specified but people have already brought up names like Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell and mentioned the word "operatic". 

Btw, Robert Plant (who I voted for in this poll) and Jimmy Page were both blown away by Buckley.  

• 8 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 10:05 AM, Gibby said:

How has no one brought up Eddie Vedder? More so his post Pear Jam stuff. Original old stuff great too. He’s covered a ton of stuff- amazing range.  comfortably numb is off the charts. Every Tom Petty cover is so much better than the original.  

I was jamming out to Thin Lizzy (such an underrated band) the other day, Phil Lynott might not have the range of some of the best singers but he had a bad ass voice for the classic rock genre.  It was tough but then he could soften it up and his voice inflections were awesome, he never cracked or strained and never over did it.  His delivery was so money for their music, it like matched his bass so well. Mysterious yet demanding.  Love it.

• Sympathy 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 11:43 AM, JiF said:

I was jamming out to Thin Lizzy (such an underrated band) the other day, Phil Lynott might not have the range of some of the best singers but he had a bad ass voice for the classic rock genre.  It was tough but then he could soften it up and his voice inflections were awesome, he never cracked or strained and never over did it.  His delivery was so money for their music, it like matched his bass so well. Mysterious yet demanding.  Love it.

not in ireland. god like status there

• Sympathy 1

On 1/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, The Crusher said:

Always been one of my favorite albums.  When I was ten my Aunt followed her husband to Abilene Texas   as he went into the Air force and its one of the dozen or so albums I sorta inherited from her because I grabbed them first.   She also left me a pair of those big old set of headphones and my appreciation grew to love for the album because it was truly a plug and play album. Every song told a story and my appreciation just grew for it as I got older. I still listen to it in its completion probably once a month. Last Genesis album I really liked because once Gabriel left so did I.

The old Genesis is great stuff that never gets played. 

The band grew to resent Gabriel because of his theatrics and costumes over shadowed the band and music. I dont believe that it was intentional, but just that Gabriel liked putting on a show. Gabriel's post Genesis career was fantastic too. There isnt a bad song on the Solsbury Hill album. Other songs like Shock The Monkey, San Jacinto, Biko, DIY, I Dont Remember are good stuff in my book.

When MTV was all the rage, Gabriel was shooting a music video where he rose up from under a pool of water. The person producing the video stated that Gabriel had to repeat the water scene a few takes and that Gabriel didnt complain in the least. The final product mattered more than inconvenience.

• Upvote 1