Jetsfan80

Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

Greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

• Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    • Freddie Mercury (Queen)
    • David Bowie
    • Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
    • John Lennon (The Beatles)
    • Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
    • Johnny Cash
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath)
    • Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Steve Perry (Journey)
    • Ann Wilson (Heart)
    • Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
    • Janis Joplin
    • Elton John
    • Honorable Mention Group (Specify in Thread): Pat Benatar, Bon Scott, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Karen Carpenter, Annie Lennox, Don Henley, Iggy Pop, James Taylor, John Fogerty, Gregg Allman, Lou Reed, Rod Stewart, Brian Wilson, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Winwood, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Peter Gabriel, Annie Haslam, Jon Anderson, Merry Clayton, John Wetton, Greg Lake, James Dewer, John Cafferty
    • OTHER - Specify in thread

It's hard for me not seperate male and females in this debate.  They just sound different, unless you're David Bowie or Freddie Mercury.  Freddie got my vote since I cant vote twice and I dont even really dig Queen all that much.  Dude was just special.

Women it's Stevie and Janis.   Fun fact; did you know Stevie is the only female rock and roll artist to make the HOF as solo artist and as a member of a band?  She's the Queen of classic rock IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Stevie and Janis are great but any list of female vocalists has to include Ann Wilson IMO.  Below is not a bad way to spend 4 minutes...

She's great and she's on the list 80 provided...but she's no Stevie or Janis, so therefore, I didnt include her in MY list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where is Bowie on your list?

Also, I should have used the "multiple polls" option.....

Right behind Mercury, they'd be 1 and 2 for me...but that's because I dont really love the options you've listed.

First off, I hate Journey so anything Steve Perry makes my skin crawl.  I also cant stand Aerosmith and think that Steven Tyler sounds exactly the same in every song.  I love Zeppelin, one of my favorite all times bands but Robert Plant is as one note as it gets.   Same goes for Ozzy, Gillan, Cash, Daltrey Morrison and Jagger.   The Beatles?  Meh, not a band I think of for their vocal prowess.  Dio is a strong candidate but another band I cant stand. 

I didnt see Joe Cocker in your list because the honorable mention list was so long but I'd take him over all the dudes above.  Stevie Wonder I dont consider "classic rock" but if we're going there, he's over all those dudes too.   I associate Gabriel with 80's rock but great voice too.

Yeah, maybe multiple options, hard to vote for just one.

• Upvote 1

Forgot about Greg Allman.  He's probably be in my top 3 honestly.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I was jamming out to Thin Lizzy (such an underrated band) the other day, Phil Lynott might not have the range of some of the best singers but he had a bad ass voice for the classic rock genre.  It was tough but then he could soften it up and his voice inflections were awesome, he never cracked or strained and never over did it.  His delivery was so money for their music, it like matched his bass so well. Mysterious yet demanding.  Love it.

• Like 1

I mean, he just sounds like such a badass in this song.  The way he intro's the song with angry groaning "dooowwwnnn for the glen...."...matches the guitars moan.  So good

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company