Jetsfan80

Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

Greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

• Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    • Freddie Mercury (Queen)
    • David Bowie
    • Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
    • John Lennon (The Beatles)
    • Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
    • Johnny Cash
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath)
    • Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Steve Perry (Journey)
    • Ann Wilson (Heart)
    • Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
    • Janis Joplin
    • Elton John
    • Honorable Mention Group (Specify in Thread): Pat Benatar, Bon Scott, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Karen Carpenter, Annie Lennox, Don Henley, Iggy Pop, James Taylor, John Fogerty, Gregg Allman, Lou Reed, Rod Stewart, Brian Wilson, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Winwood, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Peter Gabriel, Annie Haslam, Jon Anderson, Merry Clayton, John Wetton, Greg Lake, James Dewer, John Cafferty
    • OTHER - Specify in thread

On 1/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, munchmemory said:

Great thread idea.  I could spend all day adding some overlooked vocalists.  I'll add a few of my faves.  Will say that in a live setting the best I ever saw were Daltry, Mercury and Plant.  Gun to my head, I'd go with Daltry.  

A few more to add to the list:  Geddy Lee (Rush): Voice is gone now, but back in the day had incredible power.  One note and you know it's Geddy.  Some folks never understood that he was not singing in falsetto or trying to impersonate Plant.  It's his natural voice.

David Byron (Uriah Heep): Before the endless touring and alcohol destroyed it, David was an impressive frontman and singer who along with Ken Hensley produced Heep's complex layered vocal harmonies.

Nick Drake: Incredibly talented guitarist, songwriter and vocalist.  Depression/mental illness killed him at age 26.

Another singer from that era who gets no love is Noddy Holder of Slade.  Stunningly powerful voice in the same vein as Steve Marriott.

Two big omissions from the women's side are Bonnie Raitt and Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders).  Both have gorgeous distinctive voices.

Edit:  Forgot one of my heroes, Ian Hunter of Mott.

Demons and Wizards was one of my favorite records I found in my Dads pile. Cover to cover magical listen. Tremendous vocals. 

• Like 1

I listened to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway at the gym this morning. Gabriel is exquisite on that album. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

As was Hackett, Banks, Rutherford and Collins, all 5 at their very best

So did you like it because it has Lamb in the title or because you have great taste in music :)

Just kidding of course, but you do get my Hero of the Day Award for bringing this up. 

Always been one of my favorite albums.  When I was ten my Aunt followed her husband to Abilene Texas   as he went into the Air force and its one of the dozen or so albums I sorta inherited from her because I grabbed them first.   She also left me a pair of those big old set of headphones and my appreciation grew to love for the album because it was truly a plug and play album. Every song told a story and my appreciation just grew for it as I got older. I still listen to it in its completion probably once a month. Last Genesis album I really liked because once Gabriel left so did I.

• Like 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company