Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

Greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the greatest singing voice in Classic Rock history?

• Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    • Freddie Mercury (Queen)
    • David Bowie
    • Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)
    • John Lennon (The Beatles)
    • Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
    • Johnny Cash
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath)
    • Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Steve Perry (Journey)
    • Ann Wilson (Heart)
    • Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
    • Janis Joplin
    • Elton John
    • Honorable Mention Group (Specify in Thread): Pat Benatar, Bon Scott, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Karen Carpenter, Annie Lennox, Don Henley, Iggy Pop, James Taylor, John Fogerty, Gregg Allman, Lou Reed, Rod Stewart, Brian Wilson, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Winwood, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Peter Gabriel, Annie Haslam, Jon Anderson, Merry Clayton, John Wetton, Greg Lake, James Dewer, John Cafferty
    • OTHER - Specify in thread

How has no one brought up Eddie Vedder? More so his post Pear Jam stuff. Original old stuff great too. He’s covered a ton of stuff- amazing range.  comfortably numb is off the charts. Every Tom Petty cover is so much better than the original.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Gibby said:

How has no one brought up Eddie Vedder? More so his post Pear Jam stuff. Original old stuff great too. He’s covered a ton of stuff- amazing range.  comfortably numb is off the charts. Every Tom Petty cover is so much better than the original.  

See post #6.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, munchmemory said:

Great thread idea.  I could spend all day adding some overlooked vocalists.  I'll add a few of my faves.  Will say that in a live setting the best I ever saw were Daltry, Mercury and Plant.  Gun to my head, I'd go with Daltry.  

A few more to add to the list:  Geddy Lee (Rush): Voice is gone now, but back in the day had incredible power.  One note and you know it's Geddy.  Some folks never understood that he was not singing in falsetto or trying to impersonate Plant.  It's his natural voice.

David Byron (Uriah Heep): Before the endless touring and alcohol destroyed it, David was an impressive frontman and singer who along with Ken Hensley produced Heep's complex layered vocal harmonies.

Nick Drake: Incredibly talented guitarist, songwriter and vocalist.  Depression/mental illness killed him at age 26.

Another singer from that era who gets no love is Noddy Holder of Slade.  Stunningly powerful voice in the same vein as Steve Marriott.

Two big omissions from the women's side are Bonnie Raitt and Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders).  Both have gorgeous distinctive voices.

Edit:  Forgot one of my heroes, Ian Hunter of Mott.

Demons and Wizards was one of my favorite records I found in my Dads pile. Cover to cover magical listen. Tremendous vocals. 

• Sympathy 1

everyone adding their favorite... but for example Gregg Allmann would never be hired as a singer in a wedding band... range, expertise, God given talent. I’d go Mercury, Bowie , Steve Tyler, Steve Perry amongst many.  Jon Anderson was pretty good too. 

I LOVE Greg Lake but would never put him on a list like this.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I didn't consider him "Classic Rock".  

You have Stevie Wonder and James Brown in the honorable mention.  Prince's music had more of a classic rock sound than those two artists, especially his guitar playing.  Prince could shred with the best.  And I'd put his voice against anybody.

You have Stevie Wonder and James Brown in the honorable mention.  Prince's music had more of a classic rock sound than those two artists, especially his guitar playing.  Prince could shred with the best.  And I'd put his voice against anybody.

Well the other issue is that Prince wasn’t really part of that 1967 through 1982 range that I established in the original post. He hit the scene at the tail end of the classic rock era.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well the other issue is that Prince wasn’t really part of that 1967 through 1982 range that I established in the original post. He hit the scene at the tail end of the classic rock era.

What?  Prince's first five albums (starting with 1978's For You and including the seminal 1999 in 1982) were released before or in 1982.