OT: Joe Judge press conference

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Thinking back to Gase's introductory press conference.

If Gase could talk to the media the way this guy is, I think he'd be viewed differently by the fans. Obviously, results on the field mean the most.

Obviously they don't because if they did fans would be pumped he was able to get 7 wins out of this year's team.

Seemed like a freaking cliche machine to me. We’re gonna work harder than you, out physical you, punch you in the nose, do everything for the best interest of the team, every day every play, bla, bla, bla. I think players tune out that crap after awhile. He has to be able to pick good people, manage the game, and figure out how to maximize his talent. Handling press conferences not that important in my opinion.  

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Obviously they don't because if they did fans would be pumped he was able to get 7 wins out of this year's team.

You're right. Not sure "pumped" would be appropriate since we lost to 2 teams that were previously winless, but because Gase has no rapport with the fans or the media (and no history of winning), he gets no slack.

5 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Seemed like a freaking cliche machine to me. We’re gonna work harder than you, out physical you, punch you in the nose, do everything for the best interest of the team, every day every play, bla, bla, bla. I think players tune out that crap after awhile. He has to be able to pick good people, manage the game, and figure out how to maximize his talent. Handling press conferences not that important in my opinion.  

the ironic thing is the main reason the giants hired him is b/c he coached under saban and belichick - 2 coaches who don't talk the rah rah talk.

• Haha 1

Really impressive. Sounds like a young Tom Coughlin. Well prepared to meet the NY media.
Remains to be seen how he and the team does, but night and day when compared to Gase.

I actually thought the same thing. I caught it in the locker room at the gym and watched a lot of it.

That said, he’s used to things falling his way. That Sh*t stops now. And the NY media is like nothing he’s ever seen.
Welcome to NY buddy.

It was a good first day though. I’ll give him that.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Thinking back to Gase's introductory press conference.

If Gase could talk to the media the way this guy is, I think he'd be viewed differently by the fans. Obviously, results on the field mean the most.

Yea when you go on stage to get introduced as the HC of the NYJ and act like a coked out psychopath people are going to have a poor first impression stuck in their head for life.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

belichick mumbles through every press conference and i'm confident he commands respect and communicates to his assistant coaches and players effectively.  

I actually almost mentioned this in my post.  Belichick is among the best ever, but it was years before people accepted he could be a good HC.  He was on Parcells coattails forever.  I think a bunch of that was perception.  I agree that he commands respect and communicates effectively. 

You don't have to be good in a press conference to be good with players, but many of the same talents apply.  There are different audiences and different knowledge being displayed, but there are certainly similarities.  

40 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

You're right. Not sure "pumped" would be appropriate since we lost to 2 teams that were previously winless, but because Gase has no rapport with the fans or the media (and no history of winning), he gets no slack.

Miami wound up winning 5 games including NE, Cincinnati played tough most of the year. 

It was a miracle this team won 7 games

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I actually almost mentioned this in my post.  Belichick is among the best ever, but it was years before people accepted he could be a good HC.  He was on Parcells coattails forever.  I think a bunch of that was perception.  I agree that he commands respect and communicates effectively. 

You don't have to be good in a press conference to be good with players, but many of the same talents apply.  There are different audiences and different knowledge being displayed, but there are certainly similarities.  

It's not as if Belichick doesnt have the ability to run an engaging press conference. He just chooses not to.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

did you hear rhule speak, sounds like a preacher.  rex spoke great.  belichick is the worst speaker.  coaching matters, not orating.

Yes and No, its still a first impression and first impressions are long lasting.  Secondly if a man does not have any poise at the podium you have to at least question his ability to command a locker room.  Lastly if you are a goof ball in ur intro presser - you are just that, see Willie Randolph (showed up to his press conference wearing jeans and a kmart sweatshirt) and Mickey Calloway (Love, Love, Love and yet, more Love).  

Another thing about first impressions - Boomer has repeated several times how the first time Kotite spoke to the team he said something like , i dont care what you do as long as you show up on Sunday, and that is exactly what the players did - nothing all week, played hard on Sunday until they were exhausted due to poor conditioning.  

Gase's problem at his presser- he was so wired on caffeine and g-d know what else he looked a a pinata filled with Vinegar and Baking Soda.

• Upvote 1

So here’s the thing- this guy is young, seemingly abrasive, and dealt in special teams only for the most part. Problem I see with that is not the X’s and O’s knowledge, but the fact is all this guy deals with are the bottom of the barrel players who are desperate to stay on the roster. Those players don’t make noise, they don’t talk back, and they hustle all the time because they have no leverage. Essentially he can be the tough authorative figure and not get any pushback from players. Now he has to deal with the divas, and if he comes across to them the way he did in the press conf he will have a mutiny on his hands.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Really impressive. Sounds like a young Tom Coughlin. Well prepared to meet the NY media.

Remains to be seen how he and the team does, but night and day when compared to Gase.

I thought from the beginning that he would be a good HC. Definitely a hard ass. I too was highly impressed by his command and poise.  This board slamming the Giants all week for the hire has been embarrassingly stupid.

Compare the stage presence to the circus Gase intro presser.  LOL.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea when you go on stage to get introduced as the HC of the NYJ and act like a coked out psychopath people are going to have a poor first impression stuck in their head for life.

I've never seen anyone coked out that looked like Gase. Stop giving coke a bad name.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

So here’s the thing- this guy is young, seemingly abrasive, and dealt in special teams only for the most part. Problem I see with that is not the X’s and O’s knowledge, but the fact is all this guy deals with are the bottom of the barrel players who are desperate to stay on the roster. Those players don’t make noise, they don’t talk back, and they hustle all the time because they have no leverage. Essentially he can be the tough authorative figure and not get any pushback from players. Now he has to deal with the divas, and if he comes across to them the way he did in the press conf he will have a mutiny on his hands.

John Harbaugh says hi.

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

I give them credit for hiring a HC instead of a DC or an OC.  He's definitely the HC not the OC or the DC.  Gettleman isn't going to control this guy, no way.  This is not a yes man.  Good first day.  To be determined...

What qualifies this guy as a HC? The fact that he's never been able to move up the ranks and rise to a coordinator position besides special teams is very telling. A HC that will delegate all responsibility sounds a lot like Herm, who needed a 'clock coach' because he couldn't tell that 1:10 left on the clock was 70 seconds and not 110 seconds (Herm admitted this in the post game PC).

Gettleman is going to eat this guy alive.

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

What qualifies this guy as a HC? The fact that he's never been able to move up the ranks and rise to a coordinator position besides special teams is very telling. A HC that will delegate all responsibility sounds a lot like Herm, who needed a 'clock coach' because he couldn't tell that 1:10 left on the clock was 70 seconds and not 110 seconds (Herm admitted this in the post game PC).

Gettleman is going to eat this guy alive.

Meanwhile, Herm won a division (which is rare for us) and a couple of playoff games (and, were it not for Doug Brien, he would've won 3) and has had success at ASU.