First Free Agency Call - Graham Glasgow

BCJet

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Scherff has made the pro bowl 3 out of his 5 years in the NFL.  

Glasgow 0 in 4.

Maybe it's not draft position causing people to want Scherff more.  I want Scherff more because he's better.

Might it be a better cost/benefit to sign Glasgow over Scherff?  Maybe.  

Scherff's shoulders are absolutely shot 

Glasgow is rumored to be in the market for a deal exceeding the 53 million dollars the Bears gave Cody Whitehair

he's a decent player (and fits what Gase wants) but the Jets are probably not going to be big spenders early in FA 

this guy, Ngokue should be long gone by the time the Jets sign anyone 

Glasgow 0 in 4.

Maybe it's not draft position causing people to want Scherff more.  I want Scherff more because he's better.

Scherff is better, but I'd rather come out with Glasgow & Thuney than just Scherff. 

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

know most of the bard prefers Brandon Sherff, likely due to his draft pedigree as opposed to his actual play,

Huh? Guy is a pro bowl guard and one of the best since he started playing but I do like your idea with Glasgow too.

Glasgow 0 in 4.

^There’s my guy, Hawkeye. Always making sense out of things. Probably couldn’t put it any better. Get both of em! Build a fortress in front of Sam. Ensure we never have to suffer like this on the OL again. 

• Upvote 1

Glasgow 0 in 4.

What school did Scherff go to again?

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Glasgow 0 in 4.

How dare you ruin their circle jerk

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Glasgow 0 in 4.

Just so we are clear, I never said Sherff wasn't good, but the guy is always hurt and the pro bowl is name recognition only.  Demario Davis made first team all pro this year and didnt get voted into the pro bowl.

I like Glasgow more because of his versatility.  The ability to back up a position as valuable as center is very underrated.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Just so we are clear, I never said Sherff wasn't good, but the guy is always hurt and the pro bowl is name recognition only.  Demario Davis made first team all pro this year and didnt get voted into the pro bowl.

I like Glasgow more because of his versatility.  The ability to back up a position as valuable as center is very underrated.   He is a great player, and the Jets passed on him to draft Hackenburg.  

Whitehair's average cap cost is around $8-9mm per year-around what Kalil cost/wasted.    There is $27mm guaranteed with an out in 2022 for a modest cap hit.  

Glasgow for a bit less than that would not be a horrible thing.  That is what a FA G is going to cost.  Winters got $6-7mm/year 3 years ago.  

Totally agree. Sign Beach and Lewis. Sign Glasgow and Conklin. Give Harrison a real shot. But draft competition/depth for all of them. Fact is, we basically have to sign our entire O-line this year. So grab the top playmaker in R1, then O-Line the next day. 
1st Round: WR
2nd Round: OT
3rd Round: OC
3rd Round: OG

We do not need a first round wide reciever in a deep wr class we would be much better off reaching for the best center if the left tackles were off the board.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think resigning Beachem and Lewis would be great and let Shell walk but as for the draft id flip OT and WR. 

We could take our LT of the future and put him on the right side for 2020 and have a truly dominant right side of the line (the difference between a Glasgow/Wirfs tandem compared to Winters/Shell is beyond comprehension). Start Harrison at center while also grooming his replacement and find a WR like Michael Pittman in the 2nd round.  

It really depends on how free agency shakes out.  We need to add a quality veteran to the mix.   Can't start next season with a mix of the scrubs we trotted out there this year and a bunch of unproven rookies.   As long as we at least add one quality vet to the mix be it Glascow or Sherff or whoever, I think the best approach is to take best available of WR/OL in the first.

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

I know most of the bard prefers Brandon Sherff, likely due to his draft pedigree as opposed to his actual play, but the best fit to improve our OL is Graham Glasgow from the Lions. 

First off, Glasgow is very durable, never having missed a game and very versatile, playing LG, center and this past year RG. Position flexibility is huge with the amount of injuries in the league and having him be able to start at RG and also be a good fill in at center is very important. 

The other reason why he is an ideal fit as a free agent is that he actually WANTS to leave the Lions as he is upset that he wasn’t extended. Plus he will be hitting FA at a relatively young age (turns 28 in July).  Being a former walk-on at Michigan he’s got an excellent work ethic and attitude. 

Seems like a great fit for position, talent and attitude. 

Funny. I was just looking into him. In truth I don't know much about him yet, but the one thing I saw that stuck out is that he only played in 100% of the offensive snaps in 5 out of 16 games this season. 81% in total. That also happened in 2016 too. I don't know why yet, but that was interesting. He was also rarely penalized in 2019 which is a positive. 

I believe that the line is where we should spend the money in FA this season if anywhere. A RT and G/C would be ideal all while drafting 2-3 more in the first 4 rds. Signing Beachum AND grabbing a left tackle in Rd. 1 or at worst Rd. 2 is paramount. Glasgow looks good but I wonder why he's not in there the whole game. Sometimes as low as 60%.  

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Funny. I was just looking into him. In truth I don't know much about him yet, but the one thing I saw that stuck out is that he only played in 100% of the offensive snaps in 5 out of 16 games this season. 81% in total. That also happened in 2016 too. I don't know why yet, but that was interesting. He was also rarely penalized in 2019 which is a positive. 

I believe that the line is where we should spend the money in FA this season if anywhere. A RT and G/C would be ideal all while drafting 2-3 more in the first 4 rds. Signing Beachum AND grabbing a left tackle in Rd. 1 or at worst Rd. 2 is paramount. Glasgow looks good but I wonder why he's not in there the whole game. Sometimes as low as 60%.  

I read that Matt Patricia likes to rotate his guards so Glasgow rotates with Joe Dahl and Kenny Wiggins.  That may also explain why they aren't extending him.  They put their money at Tackle and Center and see Guards as replaceable parts.  Kind of like Macc only Macc also felt the same about Tackles and Centers.

Curious though, if you're going to spend $10MM+ on an OL, would you rather get a guard like Glasgow or spend a little more for RT Jack Conklin (from TEN)?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I read that Matt Patricia likes to rotate his guards so Glasgow rotates with Joe Dahl and Kenny Wiggins.  That may also explain why they aren't extending him.  They put their money at Tackle and Center and see Guards as replaceable parts.  Kind of like Macc only Macc also felt the same about Tackles and Centers.

Curious though, if you're going to spend $10MM+ on an OL, would you rather get a guard like Glasgow or spend a little more for RT Jack Conklin (from TEN)?

Conklin is my number one FA target this offseason and I wouldn't care what JD pays to get him. Highest paid RT? Sure.  In two years he'll be middle of the pack again.  That guy is the guy for us imo. The Titans are going to want to keep him, but they decided against his 5th yr option so maybe he's a little bothered by that. I don't know, but I would do everything I could to wiggle through that little crack in the relationship. IF we can grab Conklin in Fa I will consider the whole FA period a success. lol 

That's interesting about Patricia and I wonder if that's really the reason why Glasgow didn't play more of the snaps. Admittedly I don't follow Detroit very much.  Hey, if it keeps guys healthier, that could be a little trick as long as there isn't much drop off from one player to another. You'd have to be really stout in the depth department to try that sh*t.  No? 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, batman10023 said:

does anyone have Joe Douglas email address?  can someone send him this link.  Just in case he doesn't know that this person might be available as a free agent.  i wouldn't want him to miss the chance.  

or since email can get deleted by accident, can someone hand deliver a video tape of this guy.  thanks!

generally speaking firstnamelastname.@newyorkjets.com or first initial.lastname@newyorkjets.com

https://rocketreach.co/new-york-jets-email-format_b5c60815f42e0c53

New York Jets uses 8 email formats, with first last (ex. janedoe@newyorkjets.com) being used 34.3% of the time.

New York Jets's Email Format Percentage
first last janedoe@newyorkjets.com 34.3%
last doe@newyorkjets.com 17.5%
last first_initial doej@newyorkjets.com 11.9%
first jane@newyorkjets.com 11.9%
first_initial last jdoe@newyorkjets.com 11.9%
first last_initial janed@newyorkjets.com 10.5%
first '_' last jane_doe@newyorkjets.com 1.4%
first '.' last jane.doe@newyorkjets.com 0.7%
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Conklin is my number one FA target this offseason and I wouldn't care what JD pays to get him. Highest paid RT? Sure.  In two years he'll be middle of the pack again.  That guy is the guy for us imo. The Titans are going to want to keep him, but they decided against his 5th yr option so maybe he's a little bothered by that. I don't know, but I would do everything I could to wiggle through that little crack in the relationship. IF we can grab Conklin in Fa I will consider the whole FA period a success. lol 

That's interesting about Patricia and I wonder if that's really the reason why Glasgow didn't play more of the snaps. Admittedly I don't follow Detroit very much.  Hey, if it keeps guys healthier, that could be a little trick as long as there isn't much drop off from one player to another. You'd have to be really stout in the depth department to try that sh*t.  No? 

Lots of articles about it all season long.  Other than when Glasgow filled in a Center, they mostly rotated the three.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/10/detroit-lions-know-rotation-at-guard-isnt-the-norm-but-sound-like-theyre-sticking-to-it.html

• Upvote 1

Lots of articles about it all season long.  Other than when Glasgow filled in a Center, they mostly rotated the three.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/10/detroit-lions-know-rotation-at-guard-isnt-the-norm-but-sound-like-theyre-sticking-to-it.html

Then that’s a positive for him being a good choice at guard.

Again Detroit isn’t really on my radar much and An article about the lions OL rotation would have a hard time peaking my interest mid season. Lol

I appreciate the info and perspective.

That’s good.

I’d prefer Conklin if only one of the two could be had, but there is no reason we can make a good push for both of these guys. They both seem like the types that would adhere to how JD wants to build things. Blue collar lunch pail types who seem to love playing the game.

The tweet @barry macockiner posted earlier in this thread was a pretty good look at Glasgow.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Again Detroit isn’t really on my radar much and An article about the lions OL rotation would have a hard time peaking my interest mid season. Lol

That’s good.

I’d prefer Conklin if only one of the two could be had, but there is no reason we can make a good push for both of these guys. They both seem like the types that would adhere to how JD wants to build things. Blue collar lunch pail types who seem to love playing the game.
The tweet @barry macockiner posted earlier in this thread was a pretty good look at Glasgow.

Agreed. I'm not basing my opinion on how the Lions' staff used their Guards.  Both guys should absolutely be looked at hard by JD.  If it was Macc there would be no chance.  I'm really hoping things have changed.

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I appreciate the info and perspective.

That’s good.

Gee, I don't see why not? Talk about a legitimate football wasteland. And to think they fired Caldwell to hire this Patricia boob.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BCJet said:

I know most of the bard prefers Brandon Sherff, likely due to his draft pedigree as opposed to his actual play, but the best fit to improve our OL is Graham Glasgow from the Lions. 

First off, Glasgow is very durable, never having missed a game and very versatile, playing LG, center and this past year RG. Position flexibility is huge with the amount of injuries in the league and having him be able to start at RG and also be a good fill in at center is very important. 

The other reason why he is an ideal fit as a free agent is that he actually WANTS to leave the Lions as he is upset that he wasn’t extended. Plus he will be hitting FA at a relatively young age (turns 28 in July).  Being a former walk-on at Michigan he’s got an excellent work ethic and attitude. 

Seems like a great fit for position, talent and attitude. 

GettyImages-600016101-ab1223b-f7b5b8c.jp