Mogglez

Nick Mangold appears on Willie Colon's podcast to discuss time with Jets

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Full podcast: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/barstool-sports/laces-out

Highlights from Mangold via Reddit:

• The O Line made him and Brick do the annual rookie dinner in Bermuda because they knew they had to take advantage of having two first round picks that got big signing bonuses.

• Favre liked it here, but he was never all in because he wanted to be on an NFC North team so he could get back at Green Bay

• He liked the team moving from Hofstra to Florham Park because it was more convenient logistics wise, but he thinks the team should do more LI outreach like one week of training camp there or a full fledged fan fest in the spring.

• He and Colon hate James Dolan for ruining the Manhattan stadium, feeling it was perfect for all the fans and everyone could’ve just switched from tailgating to hanging out at bars before the game.

• Rex Ryan’s system was great for a veteran team where the players could police themselves, but when they started rebuilding with younger guys who didn’t have that discipline it went to hell

• He didn’t mind the Revis holdout because it allowed him and some others to get better contracts

• Tebow wasn’t liked in the locker room. Everyone thought that the team should’ve focused on getting Mark actual weapons and better QB coaching

• He feels the team should’ve resigned Edwards and let Holmes walk because Edwards had a better rapport with Mark.

• Bowles was a bit of a letdown because he was hyped as a Parcells disciple, but did nothing to mimic his discipline

• He’s bitter towards Maccagnan not because he cut him, but because he did it while he was on vacation in Disney World

Thanks for this....I should check out his podcast more often.

loved Mangold and Colon was good soldier too......

Absolutely it all went to sh!t when they prioritised Holmes over Braylon

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

• Tebow wasn’t liked in the locker room. Everyone thought that the team should’ve focused on getting Mark actual weapons and better QB coaching

• He feels the team should’ve resigned Edwards and let Holmes walk because Edwards had a better rapport with Mark.

• Bowles was a bit of a letdown because he was hyped as a Parcells disciple, but did nothing to mimic his discipline

These three

Mangold and Brick are 2 guys who's jersey's can, should and will be worn for the next 50 years. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Always felt this was the turning point also 

• Upvote 2

I wish they’d bring him in as an assistant or something. It would be great to see him as the face of the Jets 

• Upvote 1

Love that Nick has totally embraced New York and being a jet and proudly represents the team. One of my all time favorite guys.. man doesn’t it feel like him and Darnold should have been same generation?

• Upvote 3

Great comments, have to love how Nick he breaks it down and makes it real - Thanks to Mogglez for posting 

The West Side stadium would have been epic - Dolan and Silver did what they do being the POS human beings they are but Woody could still be winning if he just spent the $275m to pay for the roof - a kick in the pants for sure but small change in retrospect - the Jets would have been much more marketable with that stadium

• Like 2

"Favre liked it here, but he was never all in because he wanted to be on an NFC North team so he could get back at Green Bay"

Exactly, I've discussed this for years.  They never really wanted to be here, the injury was an excuse.  If we had 2009 committed favre in 2008 we probably win the SB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Love that Nick has totally embraced New York and being a jet and proudly represents the team. One of my all time favorite guys.. man doesn’t it feel like him and Darnold should have been same generation?

They would of gotten along great. I think they have actually hung out once on camera last year. Thought I seen them either at a hockey game or having a few drinks together.

Loved Mangold, probably would have been a HOF'er on another team. He was so consistently great for his first 7-8 years in the league. Legend.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

• The O Line made him and Brick do the annual rookie dinner in Bermuda because they knew they had to take advantage of having two first round picks that got big signing bonuses.

• Favre liked it here, but he was never all in because he wanted to be on an NFC North team so he could get back at Green Bay

• He liked the team moving from Hofstra to Florham Park because it was more convenient logistics wise, but he thinks the team should do more LI outreach like one week of training camp there or a full fledged fan fest in the spring.

• He and Colon hate James Dolan for ruining the Manhattan stadium, feeling it was perfect for all the fans and everyone could’ve just switched from tailgating to hanging out at bars before the game.

• Rex Ryan’s system was great for a veteran team where the players could police themselves, but when they started rebuilding with younger guys who didn’t have that discipline it went to hell

• He didn’t mind the Revis holdout because it allowed him and some others to get better contracts

• He’s bitter towards Maccagnan not because he cut him, but because he did it while he was on vacation in Disney World

Everything right on point.  

The Jets hired a clown in Bowles with no discipline that lasted an incredible 4 years.  

Dolan and Sheldon ruined what could had been a great experience for Jets fan building the WS stadium. 

Macc was an a....hole from the very beginning.

• Upvote 1

About the Herm Edwards letdown. Interesting they wanted discipline over players coach. The Jets have lacked that approach for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Confirms a lot of what we suspected about the Mangini-to-Rex transition and what a disaster Rex was always going to be here. Substitute teacher syndrome

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He liked the team moving from Hofstra to Florham Park because it was more convenient logistics wise, but he thinks the team should do more LI outreach like one week of training camp there or a full fledged fan fest in the spring.

I knew i loved this man .

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Confirms a lot of what we suspected about the Mangini-to-Rex transition and what a disaster Rex was always going to be here. Substitute teacher syndrome

Where did he mention Mangini?? They made 2 AFC championship games with Rex never won a playoff game with Mangini??

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Where did he mention Mangini?? They made 2 AFC championship games with Rex never won a playoff game with Mangini??

1. Favre liked it here (it was rumored he was miserable because of Mangini)

2. Mangini brought in a bunch of adults and once they started to peel off, Rex replaced them with clowns. 

• Upvote 2

I always felt that keeping Holmes and Signing Plax to replace Braylon was the beginning of the end of Rex’s Jets

And agreed on the Tebow bit...that was the fault of that Buffoon Woody Johnson and his stupid Hard-On for owning the back page of the paper...Mark ended up not being that good but the org did him no favors Btwn Signing Tebow, Hiring Sporano as OC(RIP) instead of a real offensive mind, and doing nothing to upgrade the weapons after Holmes flopped and Plax looked washed... 

Mangold is one of my favs thanks for posting...I wasn’t aware Willie Colon has a podcast 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Love Mangold, but will never forget we traded away an elite pass rusher for him, and haven't even had a good pass rusher since.

Signing Braylon longterm would’ve been just as stupid as re-signing Holmes.

Do people forget that Braylon was a complete shell of himself after the Jets let him walk?

The following 2 seasons in Seattle and San Fran, he had a total of 23 receptions for 255 yards and 1 TD.

Then he came back to the Jets and continued to be completely worthless.

In hindsight, they should’ve let both Braylon and Holmes walk out the door and kept Cotchery. Then continued to build the WR corps through the draft instead of allowing Rex to lure Burress fresh out of prison, draft lazy dickheads like Coples, sh*tty safeties who hit hard like Pryor or blowing picks on mediocre at best fullbacks.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Curious if Nick took any ownership in this at all or did he blame it all on "Rex's system".  Because if I'm not mistaken, Nick Mangold was a veteran in 2012 when sh*t started going downhill.  So was Dbrick, Brandon Moore, Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Braylon Edwards, Dustin Keller, etc. etc. etc - pretty much the entire roster were veterans sans like 3 dudes - were they culpable at all or was it the fault of the coach who got them to the front door step to the Super Bowl 2 years in a row with Mark Sanchez as his QB?

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I have on record from a player who played for the Jets for a long time that Mangini was the worst coach he ever played for and that the entire team hated and would have revolted if he returned in 2009.  When I had this conversation with said player, Revis was in Tampa.  Revis told him "I cant believe it's even possible but I play for a coach who is worse than Mangini".  In reference to Greg Schiano.  

The idea that Rex won with Mangini's team has been put to bed numerous times by the 11 new starters on offense and defense that Rex brought in but if that doesnt fit your narrative, you're not going to bring that up.  

• Upvote 3

I have three favorite all-time NY Jets.

1. Al Toon.  The Jet of my early fandom.  He amazed me, on a team that will always be "my Jets" from my formative fan years of the 80's.

2. Wayne Chrebet.  Pluckiest little dude in Jets history.  Got every thing he got by pure hard work and effort.  Our Rudy.

3. Nick Mangold.  The Foundation, hilarious, fun, just a great dude all around.  Everyone sh*ts on the Fitzmagic year, but I'd have taken that fun year every year since, it was just so much fun (the end nonwithstanding).

• Upvote 1

For most of my adult life the Jets had Kevin Mawae or Nick Mangold at Center.  I always new they were great but I never appreciated just how truly fortunate we were to have them.  We MUST find our Center for the next decade.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I have on record from a player who played for the Jets for a long time that Mangini was the worst coach he ever played for and that the entire team hated and would have revolted if he returned in 2009.  When I had this conversation with said player, Revis was in Tampa.  Revis told him "I cant believe it's even possible but I play for a coach who is worse than Mangini".  In reference to Greg Schiano.  

The idea that Rex won with Mangini's team has been put to bed numerous times by the 11 new starters on offense and defense that Rex brought in but if that doesnt fit your narrative, you're not going to bring that up.  

Is this when you accosted Lavernues Coles at a B-dubs in J-ville, homey? 

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is this when you accosted Lavernues Coles at a B-dubs in J-ville, homey? 

It was LC and we were popping bottles at the club.

9 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Thanks for this....I should check out his podcast more often.

loved Mangold and Colon was good soldier too......

And it is untrue that it all went to sh!t because Rex's lack of discipline only worked for vets.  That is complete nonsense.  It was veterans Derrick mason and Plaxico Burress who instantly ruined this clubhouse when Rex brought them in.  They exacerbated the rift with Sanchez, sided with Holmes and literally rallied against Sanchez... drove Cotch out of the clubhouse (Cotch has since said he would have liked to stay and finish as a Jet but it was horrible there so he asked to go.)

Maybe rookies couldn't learn discipline, but the idea that Rex was just fine with the veterans is complete bullcrap.  Rex let the vets do whatever they wanted and with a-holes like Mason and holmes, how he could have expected any ohter result just shows how stupid one Rex Ryan is.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

For most of my adult life the Jets had Kevin Mawae or Nick Mangold at Center.  I always new they were great but I never appreciated just how truly fortunate we were to have them.  We MUST find our Center for the next decade.

It goes back even further than that when you include guys like Jim Sweeney(one of my favorites) and Joe Fields. The center position has been a blackhole since Mangold retired but I'm not so sure this is the year we get that guy or if that guy even exists this year.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JiF said:

He was hated by the Browns as well the only people that liked him was Tom Shane and his mother and his mother was iffy..B)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

It goes back even further than that when you include guys like Jim Sweeney(one of my favorites) and Joe Fields. The center position has been a blackhole since Mangold retired but I'm not so sure this is the year we get that guy or if that guy even exists this year.  

Agree.  There's certainly no Mangold caliber player in my opinion and a guy like Biadasz, who I like, is probably going to get overdrafted by at least 5 spots or so simply because he's one of the very few Centers with 1st/2nd round grades.  There might not be more than 3 of those guys.  Think about that in comparison to positions like OT and WR who could each have about 8-10 draftable prospects in the first two rounds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree.  There's certainly no Mangold caliber player in my opinion and a guy like Biadasz, who I like, is probably going to get overdrafted by at least 5 spots or so simply because he's one of the very few Centers with 1st/2nd round grades.  There might not be more than 3 of those guys.  Think about that in comparison to positions like OT and WR who could each have about 8-10 draftable prospects in the first two rounds.

And now Humphrey is going back for his senior season and the pickings get even slimmer.  

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

And now Humphrey is going back for his senior season and the pickings get even slimmer.  

Yup.  I don't want to reach.

Can we roll with Harrison yet another year if the Jets upgrade the guys on both sides of him?  I'd argue yes.  Beachum, Alex Lewis and Harrison were probably 3 of the better OLinemen the Jets had, although each is ripe for an upgrade.  I can't imagine keeping all of them as starters but if the Jets sign a solid FA OG and draft another quality talent then I guess I get more comfortable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup.  I don't want to reach.

Can we roll with Harrison yet another year if upgrade the guys on both sides of him?  I'd argue yes.  Beachum, Alex Lewis and Harrison were probably 3 of the better OLinemen the Jets had, although each is ripe for an upgrade.  I can't imagine keeping all of them as starters but if the Jets sign a solid FA OG and draft another quality talent them I guess I get more comfortable.

Put me in the camp that doesn't like Harrison at all. I've never seen such a thickly built guy get driven back so easily. JD definitely has his work cut out for him.

On the bright side I do think he makes a fine back-up with positional versatility.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

Put me in the camp that doesn't like Harrison at all. I've never seen such a thickly built guy get driven back so easily. JD definitely has his work cut out for him.

On the bright side I do think he makes a fine back-up with positional versatility.

Appreciate your opinion.  I do take some solace in the fact that the OLine did improve and come together as the year went on, particularly after Harrison replaced Kalil.  Harrison's best traits seem to be his smarts, some good technique and consistency, and his versatility as you said.  But as an athlete, both power and athleticism, pulling, etc. aren't really there.  That's why I'm thinking that a stud OG (a guy who doesn't himself need help or assistance blocking!) who can help the Center with big, powerful NT's might not be a bad idea.

The more I think about it the more I realize that even teams who have weak OLine's typically have at least one or two very solid players, guys you don't have to worry about and who can even help makeup for the weaknesses of the players on either side of them.  The problem the Jets had was that every guy on the OLine was already in over his head.  Not only were they unable to help guys around them but they could barely carry out their individual assignments themselves.  Even if the Jets end up swapping just 3 of the 5 OLine starters in 2020, I think we're going to see a noticeable improvement.

• Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1