Robby Anderson Isn’t the Only Player Jets Should be Looking to Retain

JetNation

12 minutes ago, cbudiarjo said:

you have to keep some mediocre players. 

Sure, you do. Beachum is a mediocre player who's 30 years old. You let him walk, and keep mediocre guys like Chuma Edoga and Brandon Shell who are 22 and 27 years old. 

Beachum is a declining player, Shell will most likely remain what he is and Edoga is young enough to take a chance on to develop.

i don't think it's reasonable to replace all 5 OL in one offseason, especially if 2-3 will be rookies.

It isnt reasonable, in literal terms. But at the same time I wouldnt be writing about "needing to retain" any of these guys and putting them in the same category as Robby Anderson. 

I can understand providing a reason to retain a guy like Anderson. However, there is no offensive lineman that if he walked or was cut I'd debate over that decision. These guys were bad. 

That's really what im saying. This Oline is #1 priority. It will literally open up everything else on the offensive line. 

• Upvote 1

Would you give Anderson this type of deal?  Remember a contract is never about
the numbers its about the structure and guarantees:

4 years / $52 million / $24 million guaranteed

$12 million signing bonus (spread over 4 years)

Yr1: $5 million salary guaranteed (cap hit $8 million)
Yr2: $7 million salary guaranteed (cap hit $10 million, guarantees done)
Yr3: $10 million salary not guaranteed (cap hit $13 million, if cut would save $4 million)
Yr4: $18 million salary not guaranteed (cap hit $21 million, if cut would save $15 million)

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

Would you give Anderson this type of deal?  Remember a contract is never about
the numbers its about the structure and guarantees:

4 years / $52 million / $24 million guaranteed

$12 million signing bonus (spread over 4 years)

Yr1: $5 million salary guaranteed (cap hit $8 million)
Yr2: $7 million salary guaranteed (cap hit $10 million, guarantees done)
Yr3: $10 million salary not guaranteed (cap hit $13 million, if cut would save $4 million)
Yr4: $18 million salary not guaranteed (cap hit $21 million, if cut would save $15 million)

It's fair but I don't think he will have to settle for that. I think he will get much more guaranteed money in the first couple years of the deal. Slot guys were getting paid last year. Robbie, while not a # 1 is a legit deep threat. Makes him valuable to certain teams. I think someone is going to way over pay for him.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

"let's retain the player who plays the most valuable slot on the worst offensive line in the history of the NFL."

As a backup. Or as a starter if we can’t sign/draft anyone better. It’s not a good situation.  But Beachum is a good keeper if affordable. 

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

Let Robbie walk.  We can do better, we need a solid #1 WR.  Rob is is not that. We need OL, CB, and edge rusher. 

Then who would be our #2 WR? Quincy? This guy has injured his neck on 2 different occasions. 

If you let Robbie walk then you essentially let a #2 WR walk because he wasnt a #1, while at the same time no longer having a #2 on your team. 

If they let him walk, fine...but letting him walk because he's not a #1 is quite extra since he was never a #1 WR. He's a #2 WR that we used as a #1 because our offensive talent is that poor. We should be rewarding this undrafted rookie free agent who ended end up playing the #1 spot on our team. 

If we let Robby walk, then we'll have holes at the top 2 spots at WR. as well as an already poor group of backups. We might as well start Jeremy Kerley as our #1 again. Remember those days?

Robby Anderson is an above average wide receiver with an elite trait. There is no other WR on this team that I can say has anything "elite" about their game. Robby also has the best hands on this team. 

• Sympathy 2

33 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

Let Robbie walk.  We can do better, we need a solid #1 WR.  Rob is is not that. We need OL, CB, and edge rusher. 

Robby is not a #1 he is a UDFA who is a #2. The biggest mistake last season Mac gave Q a contract that he has never earned. That should have gone to Robby, who would have probably signed that faster than any other contract has been signed. Then this year we wouldn't be in this position where a productive WR with upside is going to probably be leaving because of $.

Sam's WR for next season: very underwhelming group. Even if you add a Amari Cooper or AJ Green, you're a Jamison Crowder ankle injury away from being in a tough spot.

Wide Receiver   (4) 
    82 - Jamison Crowder 5'9" 177 Duke (WR)  
    10 - Braxton Berrios  5'9" 190  Miami (FL) (WR/KR)  
    17 - Vyncint Smith 6'3" 202 Limestone (WR)  
    15 - Josh Bellamy 6'0" 208 Louisville (WR)  

Cant' really count on Q, unknown neck issues, and he's always getting injured.

81 - Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 Nebraska   (WR) (if healthy)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I agree with this but at the same time you can’t fix everything at once but I do agree you have to try. Yet, as far as the O line go’s that point should be stuck to at the absolute for at least two players per position. A reasonable starter and a guy who can play a bit with room to improve. You can’t start a season with mediocre backups and retired burnt out players as starters hope for the best. Not anymore I hope. Not here. 

Facts. You cant get rid of 100% of these guys. What I am saying is that if Beachum is the starter for this team then it's a failure from this front office. If Beachum is the guy backing up the new starter, I'm all for that. 

The only person from last year that I probably wouldnt have a problem with if he was the starter in 2020 is our Center Harrison. The rest of these guys need not to be the starter on this Oline. 

We're at critical mass now. This is year 3 from Darnold and we need to do absolutely everything possible to protect him as well as provide a running game to the offense. 

If we keep Beachum for another year or 2 it needs to be for depth. Anything beyond that is straight unacceptable. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Robby is not a #1 he is a UDFA who is a #2. The biggest mistake last season Mac gave Q a contract that he has never earned. That should have gone to Robby, who would have probably signed that faster than any other contract has been signed. Then this year we wouldn't be in this position where a productive WR with upside is going to probably be leaving because of $.

Sam's WR for next season: very underwhelming group. Even if you add a Amari Cooper or AJ Green, you're a Jamison Crowder ankle injury away from being in a tough spot.

Wide Receiver   (4) 

Facts. 

Im not one to criticize a player getting paid. However, in terms of worth, it's insane how Q got paid 9 million and folks are throwing hands up in the air about Robby possibly getting 10-12 million. 

This was a undrafted rookie who's been arguably the best WR on the team since his arrival. 

Pay that man!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

We need to move on from Beachum as well as every player who was behind him. They all need to go. 

Every mediocre/below average/trash player we hold on to means that there is one less spot to bring in someone else. If this front office cannot find a Tackle better than Beachum, then they shouldnt be in the front office. 

You cannot replace 5 starting O-linemen and all their backups in a single offseason.  

No one has screamed about the O-line more than me.  But we have to be realistic.

We have 3-4 new starters next year, legit players, and 1-2 retained best-of-what-we-had starters, and a few retained backups, that should be good enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Pay that man!

Anderson?  Lol, no.

Unlike O-line, where we can't replace what we had in full, we CAN in fact do that at WR.

We need a legit #1 WR.  Anderson isn't it.  But it only takes one (costly) FA signing or one (high'ish) draft pick to fill that slot.

We need a #2 (non-slot) WR.  Anderson can be that guy, at the right price, or we can draft that in the WR deep 2020 draft (my preference).

Paying Anderson like a legitimate #1 WR is a huge mistake along the same lines as paying Enunwa was, and it cannot (and will not IMO) happen.

We can do better.  For Sam.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You cannot replace 5 starting O-linemen and all their backups in a single offseason.  

No one has screamed about the O-line more than me.  But we have to be realistic.

We have 3-4 new starters next year, legit players, and 1-2 retained best-of-what-we-had starters, and a few retained backups, that should be good enough.

You're right. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Facts. You cant get rid of 100% of these guys. What I am saying is that if Beachum is the starter for this team then it's a failure from this front office. If Beachum is the guy backing up the new starter, I'm all for that. 

The only person from last year that I probably wouldnt have a problem with if he was the starter in 2020 is our Center Harrison. The rest of these guys need not to be the starter on this Oline. 

We're at critical mass now. This is year 3 from Darnold and we need to do absolutely everything possible to protect him as well as provide a running game to the offense. 

If we keep Beachum for another year or 2 it needs to be for depth. Anything beyond that is straight unacceptable. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

Wide Receiver   (4) 

good points.  imo it would be good if the jets re-signed robbie but i wouldn't want them to overpay.   they could target a wr in the first round and then possibly have 2 no. 2 receivers to start the season.  robbie gets decent money and the new guy gets a rookie contract. this essentially means not too much money is allocated to the spot.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Facts. 

Im not one to criticize a player getting paid. However, in terms of worth, it's insane how Q got paid 9 million and folks are throwing hands up in the air about Robby possibly getting 10-12 million. 

This was a undrafted rookie who's been arguably the best WR on the team since his arrival. 

Pay that man!

522054274_ScreenShot2020-01-10at8_51_00AM.png.1e88479f9164c7977bc2b559172d9cf3.png

I say cut Q deal with the cap ramifications and sign Robby. People may forget but Robby had around 900 yards& 7 TD's by week 12 in 2017. McCown got hurt and Bowles and offense were never able to pass the ball. 

So what could be our number 2 WR is capable of a 1100 yd season with 9 TD's.... um.. yeah I'd pay you 10-12 maybe even closer to 13 for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good points.  imo it would be good if the jets re-signed robbie but i wouldn't want them to overpay.   they could target a wr in the first round and then possibly have 2 no. 2 receivers to start the season.  robbie gets decent money and the new guy gets a rookie contract. this essentially means not too much money is allocated to the spot.

I would probably draft 2 guys this year at WR, its a pretty good pool of WR's IMO. 

I know position allocation dollars is a bigger topic, but in a passing league if you are going to have 2 position groups that you maybe put more budgeted in for it should be Oline and WR. Sam is going to show whether or not he's going to get his $. 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anderson?  Lol, no.

Unlike O-line, where we can't replace what we had in full, we CAN in fact do that at WR.

We need a legit #1 WR.  Anderson isn't it.  But it only takes one (costly) FA signing or one (high'ish) draft pick to fill that slot.

We need a #2 (non-slot) WR.  Anderson can be that guy, at the right price, or we can draft that in the WR deep 2020 draft (my preference).

Paying Anderson like a legitimate #1 WR is a huge mistake along the same lines as paying Enunwa was, and it cannot (and will not IMO) happen.

What's so funny?  He was NEVER a #1 WR. We all knew that. He's a number 2, always has been.

#2 WR's get paid that amount while #1's are in the 16 million to 20 million range.

Why cant Robby get paid relative to his actual position, especially when this entire time we used him for more than just his actual position?

Sign him and draft a WR. 

We can do better for Sam, that starts with the Oline. Giving Sam more time also gives every receiver running routes more time. Imagine what Robby will do to #2 CB's when he's been going up against 1's most of his career, along with Sam having more time in the pocket? 

I dont know what's going on with Jets fans and Robby Anderson, but whatever it is, it's not warranted. He's been our best threat on this team for years. It's not his fault that the rest of the talent around him is piss poor to the point that he has to be the #1 WR on the team. That's management. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

522054274_ScreenShot2020-01-10at8_51_00AM.png.1e88479f9164c7977bc2b559172d9cf3.png

I say cut Q deal with the cap ramifications and sign Robby. People may forget but Robby had around 900 yards& 7 TD's by week 12 in 2017. McCown got hurt and Bowles and offense were never able to pass the ball. 

So what could be our number 2 WR is capable of a 1100 yd season with 9 TD's.... um.. yeah I'd pay you 10-12 maybe even closer to 13 for that.

they are two different types of players.  robbie has all the speed in the world but is limited by his physical size.  enunwa can outmuscle the db's and suited for those tough over the middle yards.  if enunwa was healthy and could stay healthy i wouldn't be too quick to cut him.  maybe the best course is to try and give enunwa an injury settlement.

They need 5 offensive linemen.   They also need a 1 and a 2 wr.  We also need a starting CB

You can’t get all those in one draft and you can’t sign 7 all pros in Free agency.  Compromises will be made based on who wants to stay and who wants to join the party.  Those are the facts of life

Depending on which of their FAs they can resign and which other team FAs they can bring in, will dictate their most pressing needs and the direction of their draft.

Beachum and/or Anderson should be replaced by young potential stars eventually but those are two of our best players on admittedly weak units.  If they can be retained without completely breaking the bank, they likely will be, and should be.  They are both above average if healthy, and may play even better with a better supporting cast.   If they don’t re sign with us , we will probably bring in other players of similar quality.    

You can’t keep them all , but you try to keep your best and build on that, and fwiw, they are two of ours.  If Im Joe Thomas they are the two highest priority’s to decide on.   Then he can add other free agents, and plan his draft strategy based on the remaining roster holes.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sure, you do. Beachum is a mediocre player who's 30 years old. You let him walk, and keep mediocre guys like Chuma Edoga and Brandon Shell who are 22 and 27 years old. 

Beachum is a declining player, Shell will most likely remain what he is and Edoga is young enough to take a chance on to develop.

It isnt reasonable, in literal terms. But at the same time I wouldnt be writing about "needing to retain" any of these guys and putting them in the same category as Robby Anderson. 

I can understand providing a reason to retain a guy like Anderson. However, there is no offensive lineman that if he walked or was cut I'd debate over that decision. These guys were bad. 

That's really what im saying. This Oline is #1 priority. It will literally open up everything else on the offensive line. 

You want to pay Shell and not Beachum?  A declining Beachum is still considerably better IMO, and he probably better fits what Gase is trying to do.  AFAIK, Edoga and Harrison are the only two under contract.  I'm not cutting Edoga, but I am sure not giving Brandon Shell a starting tackle contract. 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anderson?  Lol, no.

Anderson isn’t going to get paid like a number 1-Those guys are getting north of 15-20 million.   He is projected in low teens which is number 2 wr money.  If some team offers him number 1 money, then yes let him walk.  But if he walks, we have 2 wr slots to fill, not one.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sign him and draft a WR.

Personally, I'd rather draft two WR's with better skills and higher upside.  

If I'm signing anyone, it'll be one of the few legit #1's available in FA. 

Not my preference, I prefer to build through the draft.

Let someone else pay Anderson $12 million a year for his 51 catches for 750 yards and 5 TD production.  I believe we can get that and more (and cheaper) from a new, younger, drafted player.

Presuming Douglas doesn't suck at being a GM, of course.  Big presumption.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

As a backup. Or as a starter if we can’t sign/draft anyone better. It’s not a good situation.  But Beachum is a good keeper if affordable. 

SAR I

I want us to continue focusing on being a young team that can grow with Sam but you can’t fill all the holes in 1 year. Beachum is respected and a good lockeroom guy. He and McLendon can be the older vet leaders for each side of the ball and as depth if we can upgrade.

I value the occasional vet lockeroom leader sprinkled in on the roster and I think Beachum can fill the role of Ijalana as a backup swing tackle and be a leader. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You want to pay Shell and not Beachum?  A declining Beachum is still considerably better IMO, and he probably better fits what Gase is trying to do.  AFAIK, Edoga and Harrison are the only two under contract.  I'm not cutting Edoga, but I am sure not giving Brandon Shell a starting tackle contract. 

I would personally take a shot in free agency. Though a case can be made when comparing Beachum/Shell, neither of them are locks or anything, nor worthy of starting time or starting pay. 

I'd flush the entire Oline outside of Edoga because of his age/potential and Harrison given that he's proven to be worthy of a roster spot. The rest of these guys are straight up JAGs and wouldnt prefer to have them on the field the same time as Sam Darnold. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Personally, I'd rather draft two WR's with better skills and higher upside.  

If I'm signing anyone, it'll be one of the few legit #1's available in FA. 

Not my preference, I prefer to build through the draft.

Let someone else pay Anderson $12 million a year for his 51 catches for 750 yards and 5 TD production.  I believe we can get that and more (and cheaper) from a new, younger, drafted player.

Presuming Douglas doesn't suck at being a GM, of course.  Big presumption.

I agree 100%

I just put up my mock draft (with trading down and trading Adams) and drafted 3 WR's in the top 3 rounds and 3 Olinemen in the top 2 rounds. 

Even if we kept Robby we need to draft atleast 2 WR's. 

However, you're not paying Robby $12 million a year for his 51 catches for 750 yards and 5 TD production at the #1 spot. You'd be paying him 12 million to take that ability to the #2 position going up against a lesser CB if the Jets drafted a #1 WR, and if the Jets fixed their Oline situation, a more poised QB that can go through his progressions. That's a MUCH BETTER situation for Robby to thrive in. 

More importantly, I dont know what the problem is with Robby getting 12 million when we paid Q 9 million. Robby is atleast productive. Furthermore, All of these WR's who are generally recording 1,000 yard seasons are also doing that with QB's who are throwing for over 4,000 yards and have some sort of threat at the running back position to keep defenses honest. 

You're expecting to draft 2 WR's and just place them at the starting position? When are you going to draft the Oline? How would you go about that? 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

my mistake.  when you said in your original post, "they all need to go" i thought you meant all OL. after re-reading i see you were saying Beachum and all of his backups.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

More importantly, I dont know what the problem is with Robby getting 12 million when we paid Q 9 million.

One bad decision does not validate a second.

i think there is a material disconnect between what fans think, and what Robby thinks, as to his role.  We may call him a #2, he clearly thinks he is a #1 and wants that role and to some degree that money.  For that reason alone, I don't think he is going to resign here.