Troubling Thought Regarding Douglas

JetsLife

Publicly he seems to be a strong believer in Gase, along with our genius owner Christopher Johnson. Gase at best - the jury remains out on, worst he’s a garbage HC-OC. Perhaps Douglas has different thoughts on Gase privately. If not what does this say about Douglas’ judgment?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 3

I’m not ready to give up on a coach after one year with and injury riddled bad roster. I know injuries are just an excuse but this Eason was ridiculous and add to the fact it was not Joe Douglas’ roster I say we give them next year to improve 

if Gase is horrible my move is he goes and give the job to Greg Williams. As long as the D still is top 5. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Publicly he seems to be a strong believer in Gase, along with our genius owner Christopher Johnson. Gase at best - the jury remains out on, worst he’s a garbage HC-OC. Perhaps Douglas has different thoughts on Gase privately. If not what does this say about Douglas’ judgment?

Obviously Douglas was comfortable enough with Gase to come here. But he was also not completely sold (no reason he should be) and needed a 6 year commitment. He gives Gase his 2 years, and then can hire his own guy if he sh*ts the bed.

Also, don’t forget people in the league were fawning over Gase up until the Miami Miracle and the subsequent 3 game losing streak that ended Miami’s season last year.

He was always mentioned as young, smart, innovative, and extremely detail oriented. Constantly praised for taking a sh*t Miami roster to the playoffs and kept them competitive the 2 seasons after with back up QB’s.

If Gase wasn’t such an arrogant, socially awkward, prick, douche, the narrative on him would be that he has the makings of a good coach, but he is still growing and has had bad luck and rosters.

But he is a douche and hasn’t won anything. So the narrative is, he’s a failure.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

I dont like Gase either, but at the same time, i'm not going to bring a pitchfork until i see what he can(or cant do) when we don't have 1/3 of our team on IR, have mono, or ship out Luke Falk for several games to keep the season alive and also have some more stability on OL so Darnold isn't running for his life.

I'm not going to dismiss there aren't concerns, but even with resting starters, at the end of the season  he still got this team to 6-2 over the second half. and we still found a way to win against Oakland, Dallas, and Pittsburgh.

To some degree that's commendable.

TL;DR - The jury is still out and give him though 2020.  If we still make the same errors, and don't deliver - show him the door.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

It says nothing. We have no idea how he feels, we only know the public face, and the public face SHOULD be a “strong believer in Gase” until we fire him.

• Upvote 4

Having the GM and the HC on the same page on how the team should be built is a very good thing.    Gase held the team together, got an incompetent GM fired and when Sam was thrown to the mat by the Pats figured out a way to get his head on straight.   Gase may not be the answer but by any reasonable standard he did an outstanding job this year.  

Most of the hate for Gase is whiny Jets fans who feel entitled to a winner because the team has been terrible for years.  The team will either be built and succeed or it won't.  No different than if we hired BB or any other NFL coach.  It took 6 years for a coaching staff with Weeb Ewbank, Chuck Knox, Walt Michaels and Clive Rush to build a championship team.  That's with no salary cap and an owner willing to spend to bring talent in. 

• Upvote 1

Nobody liked Belicheat until he started winning super bowls and still most people outside of NE hate him. Gase is a troll but he did get a respectable 7 wins with a sh*t ton of injuries and a high school O line at best. Gotta give Gase the benefit of doubt here until he crashes with a half way talented team. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Nobody liked Belicheat until he started winning super bowls and still most people outside of NE hate him. Gase is a troll but he did get a respectable 7 wins with a sh*t ton of injuries and a high school O line at best. Gotta give Gase the benefit of doubt here until he crashes with a half way talented team. 

Not just this season. His 2nd year at Miami, espn pre season voted Miami with the worst roster and expected them to be picking top 3 with Gase drafting his own QB.

His last year in Miami they had some free agent additions, but that was still a dog sh*t roster he took to 7-9, with backup QB’s for a lot of the season.

None of this is evidence he will be great. But jury is still out.

I also don't understand why fans are so worried about what the GM (of less than one year) says or doesn't say in the media. As a fan I want to know everything, but most organizations have two sides, public relations and internal workings. In reality, nothing he says (or doesn't say) has anything to do with reality. The only thing we can do is wait and see.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I, for one, am DEEPLY troubled that he's not throwing a colleague under the bus publicly, especially after one season with a crap roster, a ton of injuries, and a 6-2 finish.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I too was livid that Douglas hasn’t publicly humiliated Gase for going 7-9. Where is his sense of decency? Many fans in Staten Island demand justice forthwith.

I almost made the same sarcastic post lol

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

imo, douglas is in a far better position to judge gase's coaching ability than anyone posting on this board.  "garbage" oc-hc is a little bit much.  that's getting a little too personal and doesn't do anyone any good.

52 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

What?

• Upvote 4

The troubling thought about Douglas is that we have no idea how he will draft.  This is a guy that was on the staff that picked Arcega-Whiteside over McLaurin, DK Metcalf and Diontae Johnson.   They traded up to take Donnell Pumphery over Jamaal Williams, Wayne Gallman, and Marlon Mack.  You guys all hate the combine?  You are going to love it after watching this guy's mistakes.  Remember, proper analysis of the combine could have easily weeded out mistake picks like Schlegel (sluggish), Gholston (poor triangle times) and Lorenzo Mauldin (sluggish with poor triangle times).

• Upvote 1

No one here knows anything about Joe Douglas. Other than him having a longer contract than Gase- the Jets have given us nothing into Douglas' philosophy, process etc. Not sure why everyone is so confident in him. It feels like Maccagnan 2.0. Coach takes the bullets on the ground while the GM operates behind the curtains with the fanbases blind nodding approval. Feed them sh*t and keep them in the dark.

1 hour ago, JetsLife said:

His judgment is pretty good in that he has made the decision not to go around badmouthing the coach who he is stuck with for another year.

I'm in no way a Gase apologist and hated the hire when it happened.  But, trying to look at this objectively, Gase was probably the most unpopular hire we could've made which leads to a very short leash with the fan base.  With that being said,  finishing a season in which your third string QB who isn't even on a roster right now had to play three games 7-9 does not justify firing a coach after 1 year.  This team needs to show a ton of improvement next year especially on the offensive side of the ball.  But now that we've hired Gase I'm open to giving a fair shot.  

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Is there any chance he could at least one offseason by for we compare him to one of the worst GMs in league history?

Strictly comparing from a communication standpoint. But another GM hired by the Johnsons and Neil Glatt who's gone into hiding like the previous GM doesnt exactly instill confidence.

36 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Strictly comparing from a communication standpoint. But another GM hired by the Johnsons and Neil Glatt who's gone into hiding like the previous GM doesnt exactly instill confidence.

Sure - But while I didn't know Joe Douglas prior to the rumors, at least this time, league-wide, it wasn't a case of, "Who?" when he was hired.  Nobody knew Idzik and Maccagnan was about to get fired.  At least Douglas was a guy that was expected to get a shot.  I'm optimistic on that alone.  As for confidence, that's going to take success.  I'll get a little boost if we don't draft a BAP that's an interior defenseman though.

2 hours ago, JetsLife said:

So your concern is that the General Manager has been publicly supportive of the Head Coach that the Owner said will be here in 2020?

What do you want Douglas to do at press conferences, say that he believes in Gase and then give a slight wink to the camera?

tenor-3.gif.4d1a53cdcd5543f086318528986be386.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Safe to say his is better than yours? 

• Haha 1